Solved: Variation of the No Build bug

Hey i was expecting to compile build10 of my game when i was confronted with the
"error while writing Data: 1"
"nilObject....must shut down" however while it was building i managed to catch the last file it reached before shutting down completely. It was an alias file.

i deleted the 2 alias files within my locations folder, tried to build again, got much farther this time almost completed the build, but it terminated, i did not catch what file caused the error, i had my suspicion that it was an alia file...i was right, i deleted the last one and the game built...yah!!!

But what caused this problem, i thought back all the way to what couldn't be ruled out by the "alias deleting" i had just done. It occurred to me that the last thing i did before that was build edit/complete a map using the OS X version...because i double clicked a file to open instead of opening it through the classic app. I immediately deleted the X version (i don't use it, don't need it).

i came to this solution becaus before hand all of my aliases worked, when i fooled around in the Xversion the app would go no further...

I assume that there are many different variations of this bug...

------------------

Originally posted by ellrx:
**Hey i was expecting to compile build10 of my game when i was confronted with the
"error while writing Data: 1"
"nilObject....must shut down" however while it was building i managed to catch the last file it reached before shutting down completely. It was an alias file.

i deleted the 2 alias files within my locations folder, tried to build again, got much farther this time almost completed the build, but it terminated, i did not catch what file caused the error, i had my suspicion that it was an alia file...i was right, i deleted the last one and the game built...yah!!!

But what caused this problem, i thought back all the way to what couldn't be ruled out by the "alias deleting" i had just done. It occurred to me that the last thing i did before that was build edit/complete a map using the OS X version...because i double clicked a file to open instead of opening it through the classic app. I immediately deleted the X version (i don't use it, don't need it).

i came to this solution becaus before hand all of my aliases worked, when i fooled around in the Xversion the app would go no further...

I assume that there are many different variations of this bug...

I read this four times. Are you saying that switching from working under OS X to working under OS9 corrupted aliases within the Coldstone folder? Please, type a little more slowly. There seems to be useful information here but it is being corrupted in the communication.

While I'm borrowing the soap-box.... I'd suggest to all designers that they work in a modular or level scheme. Test compilations of smaller parts of a whole game would have caught many problems when they were easier to diagnose and solve.

------------------
"I know the stranger's name."
Turandot

Sorry about that, it is not a very clear situation...and in my rush to share my discovery...

But in short that is what i'm saying;
Yes.

_"I believe that the OSX version in one form or another "corrupted" (for lack of a less intense word) the aliases...i can stand on this because deleting said aliases allowed my game to build(which it had done heretofore 9 other times), devoid of any problems.

If you can help it don't switch between working in the two versions (classic/X)."_

I felt that there was an issue with the 1.0 series of the engine because it automatically labels files built with the Classic app as OSX version documents...perhaps i'm right.

------------------