(Another) Ally System Idea

Maybe this has been suggested before, but I have an idea for multiple characters in a party.
As follows:
When you are walking around you can press hotkeys to select which player you wish to be. (As long as you didn't have a party made of Darlene Dasha and Diamond, or Tim Tom and Tabernacus.)
When you change to another character, your stats and abilities also change.
You also fight as whoever you are (unless you have turn-based combat.).
As far as dialogue and plot goes, you could have a global that marked what character you currently were, and several conditional globals for which characters are in your party.
Can you please point out any faults that you see in this idea.

------------------
Poor little Johnny, of whom we'll see no more, for what he thought was H2O was H2SO4.

That's essentially the system I'm using in my game. Thus far the biggest problem I've come across is that Coldstone won't accept a global's tag value as &&Name.; Which means, that if you want the player to be able to set the names of any of the characters their names will quickly become "&&gb;_character_1" instead of the value of that variable.

So unless it is fixed, you will have to simply give the different characters permanent names, that can't be changed by the player. Which may or may not be a big deal.

------------------
(url="http://"http://jankostar.net/sanko")my Page of Garbage(/url)

So unless it is fixed, you will have to simply give the different characters permanent names, that can't be changed by the player. Which may or may not be a big deal.

(/B)(/QUOTE)

I don't think anyone would have a problem with the fact that they can't change the name of the character. I for my part always keep the preset names when I play an RPG. It actually makes me feel more attached to the characters, because I didn't name them. Just make sure you don't pick a stupid or wierd name for the character. That would make the player mad.

------------------
What stands before us
today is a meer foreshadow
of tommorow, fight hard or
die trying.