Mutliple Characters... a possiblity

Yes, yes, I know, this subject has been gone over before. But really I need to know, can you have multiple characters in your party to battle enemies with your main character? And if you can, I would really like having the coding so that I could do it. I will put the person's name in my credits of my game if you can just tell me how to do this. And if it can't be done. Then can I have NPC's come with me and my character be able to talk with them?? Please I need help...

------------------
What stands before us
today is a meer foreshadow
of tommorow, fight hard or
die trying.

No, you can't do it. The technology is available, Beenox just didn't take the time to implement it.

------------------
"I never let school interfere with my education." ย—Mark Twain
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/cafall/projects/tfm.html")The Four Mages(/url), an unfinished quest-oriented plug-in for Pillars of Garendall.
ย— Cafall

Yes, quite the pity isn't it? They could've atleast taken the extra time. :rolleyes: :eek: ๐Ÿ˜•

------------------
If people would take the time to understand and know someone, to appreciate this person, wouldn't we live in a better world?
But if we did, then how would we learn anything? A world without hurt is a world without lessons.

Originally posted by PinkFluffyBunny:
**Yes, quite the pity isn't it? They could've atleast taken the extra time.:rolleyes: :eek: ๐Ÿ˜•

Yes, they could have done. But we here on this board (not counting the time when Beenox wasn't with Ambrosia) waited over two years for Coldstone. Adding in the development time without Ambrosia, and we're looking at an over five year cycle. Parties could have been implemented, the technology is present. However, it would have required more rounds of testing, and it is doubtful whether Coldstone would yet be out, or if so, it would probably have only just been released.

In the end, Beenox and ASW decided to release it as is, figuring we'd waited long enough. If they decide to patch the editor to allow parties, I'll gladly cheer them on. However, I doubt it will happen anytime soon, and I'm not sure whether such an update would be free.

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

thanks, guess I'll just have to create my game without multiple characters. That's a big bummer, I hope Ambrosia fixes that with updates. I'd be willing to pay for that feature, that is vital.

------------------
What stands before us
die trying.

It's not a party system I want, it's an ally system. They wrote the engine in C++, it probably wouldn't take too much work to add in another team object and implement it into the interface; a couple of days, perhaps.

A party system, however, is a huge project, and as Beenox is currently tied up with The VATZ, don't hold your breath. Personally, I don't care about a party system. My attitude has always been that if you want something as would-be versatile as a party system, you're likely to wind up with a better game if you just code it yourself.

------------------
"I never let school interfere with my education." ย—Mark Twain
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/cafall/projects/tfm.html")The Four Mages(/url), an unfinished quest-oriented plug-in for Pillars of Garendall.
ย— Cafall

If you have to pay for the update i will be quite anoyed ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
Hi its me again ๐Ÿ™‚

Originally posted by Sum1:
**If you have to pay for the update i will be quite anoyed:)

I agree. If they're going to release a patch for every time they decide to get around to adding something, then really those banners on the Ambrosia site are wrong.
'ALL IN ONE BOX'? More like 'HALF OF IT IN ONE BOX AND THEN YOU NEED TO WAIT ABOUT A MONTH AND THEN THEY'LL FIX SOMETHING OR ADD SOMETHING OR BOTH AND SELL THE REST OF IT TO YOU IN SEVERAL SMALL BOXES'.

Although that might take up a bit to much space on the banner. ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
Poor little Johnny, of whom we'll see no more, for what he thought was H2O was H2SO4.

If Beenox added parties, fonts, multiple access, and turn based, then it should be payed for. Maybe even $20 or something. That would not be unreasonable in the least.
But don't get too excited over an update yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
"Logic is futile"-Scott Adams

Originally posted by Cafalll:
**It's not a party system I want, it's an ally system. They wrote the engine in C++, it probably wouldn't take too much work to add in another team object and implement it into the interface; a couple of days, perhaps.

A party system, however, is a huge project, and as Beenox is currently tied up with The VATZ, don't hold your breath. Personally, I don't care about a party system. My attitude has always been that if you want something as would-be versatile as a party system, you're likely to wind up with a better game if you just code it yourself.

I have to agree with Cafall. I'd like allies more than parties. There IS a way, however, to have multiple characters, just not all at the same time.

Originally posted by sanko (in another topic):
P.S. A similar system could be set up for a sort of party system where the player would switch characters via a map button or keydown - I think this method of making a party has been discussed before....so I won't blab anymore about it.

There's the answer. Switch characters by using a keydown.
Hope I helped.

------------------
Have you ever noticed how people say something is smart only when it acts like something else?
People say cats are smart when they act like dogs, or when they act like humans. Can't things be smart in their OWN way?
My game's site:
(url=http://"http://glued2seatp.tripod.com/)http://glued2seatp.tripod.com/ (url)

Originally posted by PinkFluffyBunny:
**There's the answer. Switch characters by using a keydown.
Hope I helped.

Bunny,

He wasn't asking a question, but rather saying how to do it. He already said to use a keydown, so I don't know why you are repeating him.

Please don't take any offence ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
Stronger isn't always better. Sometimes the quicker can accomplish more.

(This message has been edited by SSJ6Gohan (edited 09-08-2002).)

I agree that if they made the ally or mutliple characters things then it should have a charge for the update. I mean come on Ambrosia doesn't make much, and people pirate their software all the time, so give them a break, they could use the money. I'd pay 20 or so dollars to have the extra features like mutliple characters, turn-based battle combat, and much more. I think nobody will disagree that Ambrosia is a great company. Right? So let's just all support what they do. ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
What stands before us
die trying.

Somethin' I remember is that a spell can have the target: Allies. I started wondering when I went through the available possibilities: How do I do allies?
I suppose they left Turn-Based/Party/'n stuff out because it ain't that vital.

What I thought of (which would be quite FF alike) is: Have hostile NPC engage the character, but once in contact, teleport them to a specific Battle Ground. And once done, teleport back, with the enemy gone or dissolving. The Prob remains in the fight itself, how manage it with the real-time and main char only-system? No chance, but I assured creative heads/programmers will manage (in time :))

------------------
"Unmรถglich gibt es nicht. Nur Unwahrscheinlich."

Originally posted by FF-fanatic:
**I agree that if they made the ally or mutliple characters things then it should have a charge for the update. I mean come on Ambrosia doesn't make much, and people pirate their software all the time, so give them a break, they could use the money. I'd pay 20 or so dollars to have the extra features like mutliple characters, turn-based battle combat, and much more. I think nobody will disagree that Ambrosia is a great company. Right? So let's just all support what they do.:)

Would you pay for a workaround/method?
There are many solutions to the many problems, you all are very focused on making things "actually" happen instead of using conditionals coupled with animations to make it appear as though it happened, think about it.
because frankly a majority of the things discussed in this board are in fact do able, and a majority of the people complaining about their issues are unfamiliar nubies, who want to build something out of the ordinary without having common ordinary skills , try making small advances and work your way up.Many of you don't quite understand, this product has reached 1.1 and is Mac OSx operable. THus insuring many outstanding bugs have been remedied and that it has a future on its targetted platform.
I, aka ill_a_nois, am a beta tester and while after the first few betas the list became relatively stagnant...and as some of you might have heard Beenox has turned its focus towards Goliath the new fledgling engine they are establishing. So either create a workaround or look for another more suited tool for your needs/limitations.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/ellrx/index.html")The trinity complete: Coldstone, TNT Basic, Klik&Play;(/url)

Originally posted by ellrx:
**A majority of the people complaining about their issues are unfamiliar nubies, who want to build something out of the ordinary without having common (ordinary skills.

This is rather harsh. I don't want to speak for others but there are newbs out there trying to learn how to work things out and asking for help. Is it so bad to ask for help? These " ordanary skills " are invaluable to some of us. Give us a chance to get used to the program and learn about the features.

------------------

(This message has been edited by SSJ6Gohan (edited 09-09-2002).)

Yes, they could have done. But we here on this board (not counting the time when Beenox wasn't with Ambrosia) waited over two years for Coldstone. Adding in the development time without Ambrosia, and we're looking at an over five year cycle. Parties could have been implemented, the technology is present. However, it would have required more rounds of testing, and it is doubtful whether Coldstone would yet be out, or if so, it would probably have only just been released.

In the end, Beenox and ASW decided to release it as is, figuring we'd waited long enough.

"Do you want it fast or do you want it right?"
--Hank Hill, King of the Hill

------------------
Someone give me a funny signature! PLEASE!

Originally posted by unknown:
**"Do you want it fast or do you want it right?"

You're right, mabye it just wasn't to be added in (yet?). I also agree that there are workarounds to these problems. Perhaps the subject should be dropped...

------------------

I have to agree with them.

Originally Posted by ellrx:
...and a majority of the people complaining about their issues are unfamiliar nubies, who want to build something out of the ordinary without having common ordinary skills, try making small advances and work your way up.

I am one of those "unfamiliar nubies". I didn't know it was so bad to be new to something and ask for help. I also didn't know I had to have these "common ordinary skills" that you seem to think everyone has. Sorry for having a dream. I didn't know it was so bad to dream up a story and make a game out of it.

ellrx, please, that post hurt a lot of feelings, I'm pretty sure, and it hurt mine. Sorry if I seemed harsh, but really, that post was unreasonable. You know what, most of us ARE new to Coldstone, but atleast we have the sense to ask for help. That's why this board is here. Isn't that kind of obvious...? We use this board so we can figure out what the remedie is, not gripe about how it doesn't work. The only time one of us complained was me, and that was in IRC, but that had nothing to do with CGE.Really, ellrx, it hurt my feelings. That's as bad as being falsely called a newbie on Battle.net. That's pretty bad, you know.

Well, please refrain from these posts again, as I do not want to be hurt again,
Bunny

------------------
Have you ever noticed how people say something is smart only when it acts like something else?
People say cats are smart when they act like dogs, or when they act like humans. Can't things be smart in their OWN way?
My game's (url="http://"http://glued2seatp.tripod.com/")site(/url)

(This message has been edited by PinkFluffyBunny (edited 09-09-2002).)

Originally posted by unknown:
**"Do you want it fast or do you want it right?"

What would you say if I told you I wanted it fast? After all there is nothing wrong with Coldstone right now, other than the fact that it can't do everything.

------------------
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
"Logic is futile"-Scott Adams

Thanks Bunny for defending us new ones. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Yeah I just got Coldstone not to long ago. I just really wanted to know if I could have multiple characters or not. Because if I couldn't then I would have to make a totally different game. I agree Coldstone is great, but I could use more. And I'm not blaming Ambrosia, it had been long enough. So I mean I just wanted to know. A totally different game is made if mutliple characters are in it. So I guess I'm just a normal person with ordinary skills.

------------------
What stands before us
die trying.