Hidden Cheats???

I was messing around with ResEdit and I opened Ares. I didn't think Ares had cheats but inside the Str# Resource I found a String that was labeled 'cheats'. There were Two others labeled 'cheats on feedback' and 'cheats off feedback'. I put Two and Two together and came up with this:

BBlwtsp - Cheats on feedback: wants to cheat.
Cheats off feedback: stops all cheating.

BBltwy - Cheats on feedback: hands the controls over to a machine.
Cheats off feedback: regains control.

BBqtyyt - Cheats on feedback: wins Megabucks.
Cheats off feedback: (pay up)

|mfny - Cheats on feedback: is about to name something.
Cheats off feedback: (i dub thee)

BBiwfpj - Cheats on feedback: puts on a happy face.
Cheats off feedback: (don't mind me).

BBkxxy - Cheats on feedback: drinks some tainted coffee.
Cheats off feedback: returns to realtime.

BB6>>> - Cheats on feedback: 's pay rate increases to
Cheats off feedback: (raise)

BB6>;> - Cheats on feedback: 's pay rate decreases to
Cheats off feedback: (cut)

These are coming straight from the resources. I tried to use the "cheats" by entering them like I would send a message but I didn't get any results. For the '|mfny' "cheat" you get the  by pressing down. Can someone please help me on this?

There are no cheats in EVO save the Forklift. Matt Burch put those in to get people to do exactly what you are doing now, wondering what they're there for. There is also a PICT of a dialog box that prompts you to enter a code. This is also fraudulent.

------------------
Luca Rescigno
"I have nothing to fear but secret sauce"

Oops, board confusion. I just was on the EVO board and I got confused. I have no idea weather Ares has any cheats or not.

------------------
Luca Rescigno
"I have nothing to fear but secret sauce"

Heh heh heh.
The codes are transposed by 5 ASCI values;
==gronk
==grot <?>
==lotto
wazzit
==fsst
==1999
==1969
Respectively.

------------------
We will trade and collect your skulls.

What the heck does that mean????

I am no ResEdit veteran, and thus I will skip any half-*ssed attempt at explaining the connection with the ASCII values and the actual cheats. The cheats that I know are as follows:

!!pay up - win the lottery of resources

!!dont mind me - makes your control ship invisible to your enemies

!!i dub thee - I remember this allowed you to rename a planet, but I've never actually seen it work, and neither did the guy who posted these the first time 'round.

There are more, I know for certain, I'm just not remembering. There are cheats to prevent cheating (why you would want this, I have no idea), and there are cheats to raise or lower your resource income. Unfortunately, the last cheat does so by such infintesimally small increments that you waste a lot of time just typing it in. "!!pay up" seems to work much better.

BTW: To use them, type it in with the message feature and press enter.

This post has been edited by Aithon : 12 November 2006 - 01:33 PM

What it means is the codes I entered are the ones that work for version 1.1.1, not the ones Aithon mentioned. His are only for 1.1.0, and thus don't work.
figure out what they do on your own.

------------------
Commander-in-Chief of the Nijayias Interstellar Navy.

What your saying is that "==lotto" is a cheat code? Just wanted to know.

HotSpice(known as Avenger on GR)

🙂

------------------

Yes, it is. What it does is it boosts your resources.

P.S. I'm Back :D.

Originally posted by Fleet Admiral Darkk:
**Heh heh heh.
The codes are transposed by 5 ASCI values;
==gronk
==grot <?>
==lotto
wazzit
==fsst
==1999
==1969
Respectively.

The "==grot" and "wazzit" codes don't seem to do anything. Is there one to turn insivible like in the last version? I'm just asking because I'm stuck on the last level. Some good advice would be nice (not practise), but a cheat would be easier.

Slinky.

"Reality is where the pizza guy comes from"

I just then figured it out. You misspelt "==grot". It's actually "==gort", but I don't think it actually does anything. It puts up the message "(race) hands the controls over to a machine". I have no idea what that means. The "wazzit" one has got me though, as I don't know the ASCI numbers. From what I can tell, it's "?ia??jt", the ?'s being bits I don't know. There's something for you guys to work on.

Slinky.

P.S: You missed translating one. I think it works out to "==drake". Could be wrong though.

he spelled almost all of them wrong lol. i know them but im not telling 😄

------------------

Ares is not the kind of game you need to cheat in.

------------------
I have a plan so ingenius even an idiot could have devised it. On my command, we will line up our ships and fly straight into the enemy death-cannons clogging them with wreckage.

Stop Exploding you cowards!

Well, well, well... ok, everyone, back in the day when Ares was under the rampant Changeling group, this was before Ares was harbored under Ambrosia Software (who did a marvelous job on the game, might I add): Ares had an entirely different set of cheats. These were what you found in the str. they were entered in much the same way they are now. <return> !!pay up <return> etc.... there was also a level select cheat code which they took out. As some of you might have noticed, Nathan Lamont was a little sloppy on deleting his old code out of the game, as there are some ancient remnants of abandoned levels and sprites. These things in the STR are just some of those relics, and have been disconnected from the game interface, theyre just floating around there. so nothing new, its just they've been replaced by all the new cheat codes in the Ambrosia version

ares is a slight bit ez for someone to be despratly scrounging for cheats....

------------------

Ok first of all these ares cheats really aren't hidden, they've been around since the beginning. The reason few people know about it is becasue not to many people like cheating...
although for those of you who must know..
If you have ares 1.1.1 which i'm sure all of you do, you can edit your cheat codes using res-edit. for example instead of typing ==gronk to enable cheats, all you would have to type if done correctly is a period (.) or to make ships build fast instead of doin ==fsst all you'd have to do is type the number one (1). this is what i did a long time ago, so if you want some info just talk to me or somethin and i'm sure i can dig it up for ya.

------------------
ramble on..

Actually, it's not whazzit, it's whait (or something like that.) Of course, it still doesn't do anything, but it's supposed to be equivalent to the "I dub thee" code.

I wonder if it does anything in network mode...

------------------
Knucklehead, Aeon Productions

"Where am I? I'm in Purgatory!"
"Worse. You're in Windows"

Smacks head against keyboard .skjfdvas
I guess I missed a couple of characters found in the string. (mostly because they didn't show up with the monoco font.) :redface: Sorry about that.

(This message has been edited by Knucklehead (edited 10-19-2000).)