Spells

I'm having problems casting spells....How do you get it to work??

------------------
I love cheddar!!!

If I understand correctly, you want your player charecter to cast a spell. These answers may be wrong, but i think it will help you. If you want to your player to cast a spell like mages in pog, I would make it as a weapon, to put in your player's invetory, then the player selects the spell to use and when you attack, you have the spell come out in a ball of light or something. you could put it at range stats if you like.
If you want a spell that freezes something or breaks a wall down or something you could make it as a weapon to go in invetory, but when it hits something, you can make an event that makes the object freeze or blow up or whatever.Or you could set it in the players invetory and when he clicks on it, an event happens, making the object of choice dissapear or something.Did that help? If it didnt,sorry. I hope it helped somebody.
---Chrios

Originally posted by Paddy Perring:
**I'm having problems casting spells....How do you get it to work??

I think just about anybody could answer your question, but we need more details. "I'm having problems casting spells" doesn't help... who are you trying to get to cast a spell? An NPC? Your player? What have you already tried doing?

------------------
If passion rules reason, how can you allow only reason to rule you? Only Celchu knows the answer...
— Cafall

Cafall is right. But if youre trying to get a NPC to cast a attack spell, make an attack spell for inventory and give it to the npc to carry and make it an agressive fighter i think. check on the coldstone help box to see what type of fighter uses its inventory, set the type for that one, and give it a spell like its a knife or a bow but make it a spell.
For a freeze spell or a dissapearing spell, do the same but make an event when it shoots the spell to make the object to dissapear from the map or something. Hope I helped, Chrios

as in the player casting spells...It doesnt seem to work

------------------
I love cheddar!!!

Originally posted by Paddy Perring:
**as in the player casting spells...It doesnt seem to work

Mr. Paddy Perring,

Can you please explain what you have done?

My first thoughts would be:

1. Did you create a new spell that has no restrictions on being cast, and that does something visible when cast?

2. On the bottom of the first spell creation box there is a drop down box for spell animations, with one selection being "Use no animation" and another being "Bullet from caster to target" and another being "Instantly hit target." If your spell has anything other than using no animation, do you have an animation selected? If not then the spell won't work(common frustration for me, heh).

3. Did you give the spell to the player?

4. When you open the player's spell book is the spell listed?

5. Does the player have the mana to cast it?

6. If the spell is target-specified, did you click on a target after "casting" the spell?

Of the above, #2 almost always gets me. For some reason CGE defaults to using an animation for spells, but loads without an animation selected. If you don't change it and your spell is set to affect a target, it doesn't find an animation that it is looking for and simply doesn't cast. That one has given me endless frustrations, heh. So check on that first. Otherwise go through the list and please post back if you are still having problems, and if so, please give us as much information as you can.

Good luck.

------------------
"But soon, soon, soon... the world will be a better place, with meadows and bunnies and fiber optics in every home..."
- Tom Dowdy, Apple Computer

i have one question, it is a problem for me. how do u open the spellbook? i usually make a sort of magic item but i would like to know

Originally posted by ummm:
i have one question, it is a problem for me. how do u open the spellbook? i usually make a sort of magic item but i would like to know

Mr. Ummm,

In the events editor, there is an object called "Engine Call." If you select this there should be a selection for "Open Player's Spell Dialog." This should do it, I believe.

------------------
"But soon, soon, soon... the world will be a better place, with meadows and bunnies and fiber optics in every home..."
- Tom Dowdy, Apple Computer
------------------
(url="http://"http://www.avalon.net/~honda/pog/pogwalkthrough2a.htm")PoG Walkthrough and Compendium(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/dl-redirect.pl/PoG_Dev_Tools_Source.sit?path=coldstone/resources&file;=PoG_Dev_Tools_Source.sit")PoG Dev Tools(/url)

I found out after i posted, after searching for a whilethoguh.
thanks anyway.