Too many actions?

While making my first coldstone game, ive run into a problem which has me totally stumped. Basically i've got an event tile which, when executed, causes my game (and my mac) to crash whenever you try to change location. It only crashes after the event has been executed. if the tile remains untouched, then location changes go ahead perfectly.

The event consists of about 25 map cell changes... which (for me) is a pretty big event. It also had a conditional checking a global, an item being created and a couple of fade effects. Is there a limit to the number of actions you can put in an event?

This seems like a very perculiar problem, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers all,
Migraine

------------------
"If it's too hard, I can't understand it."

Originally posted by Migraine:
The event consists of about 25 map cell changes... which (for me) is a pretty big event. It also had a conditional checking a global, an item being created and a couple of fade effects. Is there a limit to the number of actions you can put in an event?

Mr. Migraine,

I have an event that has approximately 120 map cell changes in it. I haven't counted it, but it is approximately around that size. I utilize the map cell changes to turn an unaccessible area in PoG in to an accessible area. Anyhow, the point being that this does not crash for me, so numbers of objects in your event is not an issue for Coldstone.

That being said, it may be a memory issue. Try upping the memory of your game and see if that solves the issue. If not, then go back and recheck your events as there is probably an error therein that is causing the problem.

As a way of error checking, you might create a duplicate event and add the objects to it 1 at a time and testing it with each addition. If the duplicate event will run without crashing with only 1 object in it, you can keep adding objects until you get a crash. At that point you can look at the last object you stuck in and figure out what the problem is.

Good luck.

------------------
"But soon, soon, soon... the world will be a better place, with meadows and bunnies and fiber optics in every home..."
- Tom Dowdy, Apple Computer

I had this problem with (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/cafall/projects/tfm.html")TFM(/url); I tried putting five Change Map Cell actions in an NPC's death event and the game crashed every time I killed the NPC. I never figured out what was going on; I used a different action to do what I wanted to do.

------------------
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/cafall/projects/tfm.html")The Four Mages(/url), an unfinished quest-oriented plug-in for Pillars of Garendall.
If passion rules reason, how can you allow only reason to rule you?
Ā— Cafall

Originally posted by Cafalll:
I tried putting five Change Map Cell actions in an NPC's death event and the game crashed every time I killed the NPC. I never figured out what was going on; I used a different action to do what I wanted to do.

What are you guys trying to do with the change map cell event? If you are attempting to put a picture on the screen then use the stamp control feature.

I utilize the massive amounts of map cell changers to change the access of various tiles, from blocked to cleared. And as stated it works flawlessly with over 100 objects in the single event.

So perhaps you guys are attempting to do something with change map cell that it wasn't designed to do, or perhaps it is a buggeroo. Please throw us some more information.

------------------
"But soon, soon, soon... the world will be a better place, with meadows and bunnies and fiber optics in every home..."

Thanks for the advice, Stark. I did what you suggested and it worked... which is perhaps more frustrating than it not working because i still don't know why! If i manage to find out what went wrong i'll post it but otherwise it's off to photoshop to make my map interface a bit prettier.

Cheers,
Migraine

(by the way... over 100 map cell changes!?! didn't your eyes bleed?! you're a braver man than me! šŸ™‚ )

------------------

Originally posted by Migraine:
Thanks for the advice, Stark. I did what you suggested and it worked... which is perhaps more frustrating than it not working because i still don't know why! If i manage to find out what went wrong i'll post it but otherwise it's off to photoshop to make my map interface a bit prettier.

You're welcome Mr. Migraine. Out of curiousity though, which suggestion did you use that apparantly worked?

By the way... over 100 map cell changes!?! didn't your eyes bleed?! you're a braver man than me!

Let's just say that I've become very good at key shortcuts. After double clicking on an event object, entering its name, then filling in all the information which all were virtually the same, I stopped using the mouse for most things and just cut and pasted, used the arrow keys, used the name changing shortcut(open-apple e), etc. Much faster and less wear and tear on my wrist.

But, that being said, if you want to see a sample of my self-abuse, download the source code to my (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/dl-redirect.pl/PoG_Dev_Tools_Source.sit?path=coldstone/resources&file;=PoG_Dev_Tools_Source.sit")PoG Dev Tools(/url) and open up the Locations->Defs folder and take a peek inside. Then open up the Events->Defs->area change.cet file and peek inside that. These are things that I do, heh.

------------------

I tried remaking the event, but in stages. So i ran my game after I added each different action, just to check it worked and pinpoint the exact action that was causing the trouble. However it just kept working! So i still don't know what went wrong, but at least i can carry on šŸ™‚ I'll check out your handywork too... sounds interesting šŸ™‚

------------------