PoG Dev Tools V2.0 Source Code released

PoG Dev Tools V2.0 Source Code has just been uploaded to the (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/games/coldstone/addons")Coldstone Addons page(/url).

What is PoG Dev Tools V2.0?

PoG Dev Tools is a compilation plug-in designed to make developing plug-ins for Pillars of Garendall a whole lot easier. The features include:

A navigatable kingdom map:
Posted Image

A navigatable caves/crypts/special locations map:
Posted Image

A handy keydown event that will relocate your PoG test character to whatever coordinates on the map that you wish to visit.

A handy keydown event that will display the overhead map without the fog of war, with two options: map only, and map with player location and all NPCs(aggressive and passive).

A handy keydown event to quickly reference whatever cave/crypt/special location you wish to learn about. It lists what area map the cave entrance is located, as well as how the various maps fit together.

Why was PoG Dev Tools released as source code instead of as a plug-in?

From the PoG Dev Tools readme file: **
I am releasing the source code to this plug-in for 2 primary reasons:

1. It is my intent that others create plug-ins for PoG so that the community benefits. If these Dev Tools will aid others in the creation of plug-ins then we will all benefit. By releasing the source code it will also enable developers to tweak and tailor the dev tools to their own creations, thereby facilitating their development process. Also, it is my hope that some developers will make additions to the dev tools and release those files as addons(ie, dropping the events/locations/whatever into a folder and uploading it for the rest of the community to download and drop into our copy of the dev tools).

2. I really do not like cheat plug-ins, and would rather the dev tools not be used as one. By releasing the dev tools as source code instead of as a plug-in, those looking for a quick cheat will have to: download the source, download Coldstone, and then read enough to learn how to compile a plug-in from plug-in source code. Developers will already know how to do this, and if this process gets a few people familiar enough with Coldstone to compile the plug-in, who knows, maybe they will realize making plug-ins isn't too hard and they will make a few of their own!**

How can I get the PoG Dev Tools?
Once the file is made available, just head over to the (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/games/coldstone/addons")Coldstone addons page(/url) and download it.

Any other questions?
Yes. Got Dev?

(edit) Fixed a bad ubb call. Bad ubb! (/edit)
------------------
"But soon, soon, soon... the world will be a better place, with meadows and bunnies and fiber optics in every home..."
- Tom Dowdy, Apple Computer

(This message has been edited by Stark Bledfast (edited 07-28-2002).)

Thanks for the plug-in, Stark (not that I have it right this second); it's a huge help, but I never would have taken the time to make it myself. šŸ™‚

------------------
If passion rules reason, how can you allow only reason to rule you? Only Celchu knows the answer...
Ā— Cafall

Originally posted by Cafalll:
I never would have taken the time to make it myself.

Ugh, don't even mention the word time... I think I spent 3 hours just teleporting to all of the caves to get their actual names plus coordinates to send the player to(since if the location was a 50X50 square and you teleported in from say, (150,95), the game would crash. And I hate crashes). Then I had to enter the names all into the plugin.txt file so I could utilize them. Then I had to make up seperate location events for each listing to send the player to them. Then I had to create the caves map. Then I had to create links to each of the location events within the main map...

Well, you get the idea. You can view the immensity of the Locations->Defs folder yourself, heh. I don't even want to think about the time spent on the plug-in overall.

Hopefully it helps others like yourself though, and I'll be rewarded by being able to enjoy some decent plug-ins. šŸ™‚

P.S. If Dee or any other Beenox employee posts that they already had a set of tools like this and just hadn't gotten around to releasing them yet... I think I'll just explode. šŸ˜›

(edit) Just had to add the P.S. (/edit)
------------------
"But soon, soon, soon... the world will be a better place, with meadows and bunnies and fiber optics in every home..."
- Tom Dowdy, Apple Computer

(This message has been edited by Stark Bledfast (edited 07-29-2002).)

(quote)Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**P.S. If Dee or any other Beenox employee posts that they already had a set of tools like this and just hadn't gotten around to releasing them yet... I think I'll just explode.:)

------------------
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Wow, very nice, Stark.

------------------
pipeline: I like your nostrils.