area question

Is it possible to make 1 area instead of muitiple ones that are linked together. Just have one huge area that it only has to load once or is it too much for Coldstone. I am thinking of making a game with an area system for example Cythera's or diablo 2's one load system per huge area.

------------------
Thanks,
GrahamVH

Well, Graham, I tested this out myself, and CS can handle maps of any size. The only question is: Can your computer? I tested with a 2000x2000 map, which in retrospect is probably 100 times larger than necessary for a Cythera-scale map. Needless to say, my poor iMac crashed. You could get by with 200x200, no problem. I'm too scared to run another test, though. šŸ˜‰

------------------
"... For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil must give us pause..." - Willaim Shakespeare, Hamlet

Originally posted by Celchu:
**Well, Graham, I tested this out myself, and CS can handle maps of any size. The only question is: Can your computer? I tested with a 2000x2000 map, which in retrospect is probably 100 times larger than necessary for a Cythera-scale map. Needless to say, my poor iMac crashed. You could get by with 200x200, no problem. I'm too scared to run another test, though.;)

Do you know what dementions for boberus city not just 32x32 or watever it is but all of them I need them. I need something to base it off of.

------------------
Thanks,
GrahamVH

Originally posted by GrahamVH:
**Do you know what dementions for boberus city not just 32x32 or watever it is but all of them I need them. I need something to base it off of.

The default map dimensions are 20x20 in graphic tiles. that's what you get if you just hit 'return' when creating a new map. By increasing it to 200x200, you get the equivalent of 100 maps in one. This may be too much for most computers to handle at once, either in the editor or in the game. I suggest using your discretion. Other settings: 175x175= 76 maps in one.
150x150= 56 m.i.o.
125x125= 40 m.i.o.
100x100= 25 m.i.o.
2000x2000= 10,000 m.i.o. I knew it was too much... šŸ˜‰

As for Boberus, it is 34x34. I will provide the same for this.
200x200 = 34 B's
150x150 = 20 B's
100x100= 9 B's.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by 'all of them I need all of them.' Do you mean movement tiles and/or pixels? Or every single map in the demo? Or every map in PoG? For number 2, Dragon Cave's specs are identical to Boberus's. For the others, that would be a bit too tedious for me.

------------------
"... For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil must give us pause..." - Willaim Shakespeare, Hamlet

(This message has been edited by Celchu (edited 06-17-2002).)

I have created maps that are 200X200 based on a 64X64 ground tile and a 32X32 movement tile (which is was the size of your map is based on) without any problems and I am running a power mac 8500 w128 megs ram and a G3 400 mgz upgrade card. - The ability to load has to do with the complexity or your ground tiles, stamps, events, and npc's all combined vs how much ram you have allocated to coldstone or the game you have created.

------------------
Squak - the seal
makes the noise not
the approval

Originally posted by Celchu:
By increasing it to 200x200, you get the equivalent of 100 maps in one. This may be too much for most computers to handle at once, either in the editor or in the game.

Well, all the outdoor PoG maps were 200x200. If your computer can play PoG, it can handle 200x200 maps.

------------------
The greatest of harm can result from the best of intentions Ā— Wizard's Second Rule, Stone of Tears.
Ā— Cafall

Originally posted by Cafall:
**Well, all the outdoor PoG maps were 200x200. If your computer can play PoG, it can handle 200x200 maps.

Well, I just checkd it in the editor, and yes, 200x200 is very realistic to be able to run.

/me was just scared to crash again. šŸ˜‰

------------------