Locations & Main Interface

Hi. I'm making a Myst style game, where all I'm using are main locations. The locations will have a main interface, where you'd click "LOOK" for a description of the room you're in, "INVENTORY" to bring up your inventory, and so on. The problem is that when I try my game, it automatically quits when I try to enter a location that's supposed to have a main interface. When I unclick the main interface option for a location in the editor I can get into that room just fine, but then I won't be able to get the inventory and room description. What's wrong?

Also, how do you configure game buttons in the menue editor? I have three buttons for my main interface: LOOK, which whould bring up a dialogue assigned to the room you're in to get a description of that room (which I assume would involve a Call Event funtion); INVENTORY to get your inventory; and SAVE to, well, save. I'd expect INVENTORY and SAVE would use an Engine Call, but how do I configure these exactly?

P.S. Thanks for standing up to my long winded post. 😉

------------------
So what if I'm paranoid.
There COULD be mind control drugs in my marshmellows.

Originally posted by unknown:
**Hi. I'm making a Myst style game, where all I'm using are main locations. The locations will have a main interface, where you'd click "LOOK" for a description of the room you're in, "INVENTORY" to bring up your inventory, and so on. The problem is that when I try my game, it automatically quits when I try to enter a location that's supposed to have a main interface. When I unclick the main interface option for a location in the editor I can get into that room just fine, but then I won't be able to get the inventory and room description. What's wrong?

Also, how do you configure game buttons in the menue editor? I have three buttons for my main interface: LOOK, which whould bring up a dialogue assigned to the room you're in to get a description of that room (which I assume would involve a Call Event funtion); INVENTORY to get your inventory; and SAVE to, well, save. I'd expect INVENTORY and SAVE would use an Engine Call, but how do I configure these exactly?

P.S. Thanks for standing up to my long winded post. 😉

Quick answer for you to ponder on (have to run down to the shop on an emergency fix) -- use a map location that looks like a main. See Cosmic Memory for use of this trick... (it also allows you access to stamp control for animations)

------------------
everywhere else, it's --
"Nomuse"

**Hi. I'm making a Myst style game, where all I'm using are main locations. The locations will have a main interface, where you'd click "LOOK" for a description of the room you're in, "INVENTORY" to bring up your inventory, and so on. The problem is that when I try my game, it automatically quits when I try to enter a location that's supposed to have a main interface. When I unclick the main interface option for a location in the editor I can get into that room just fine, but then I won't be able to get the inventory and room description. What's wrong?

First let me say that if you plan to do a Myst game that has anything animated, you should fake main locations with maps (see Cosmic Memory as Commander Arashi suggested). As for your problem, if you check "use main interface", you must have a picture defined for the main interface (just like the map inteface) -- see the game options, in the layout panel.

(/B)

See bottom of page 48, in the user manual. In the main interface layout (game options), you place a zone named "Game Button 1..9" (or something like this). When the user clicks in one of those areas, it will automatically fire the event, if any, named like "MainButton1". Create those events and put an engine call in it to do what you want.

------------------
Dee Brown
Beenox inc. - (url="http://"http://www.beenox.com")www.beenox.com(/url) (check our new web site!)
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/games/coldstone/")Coldstone Game Engine(/url) / (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/games/pog/")Pillars of Garendall(/url) developers

quote:

Origionally posted by Dee:
First let me say that if you plan to do a Myst game that has anything animated, you should fake main locations with maps (see Cosmic Memory as Commander Arashi suggested). As for your problem, if you check "use main interface", you must have a picture defined for the main interface (just like the map inteface) -- see the game options, in the layout panel.

Actually, a "Myst" style game is not really an acurate term for my game. It's more like a World Builder style game. I wasn't going to have any animations. I was just going to have it display diologues to describe events that happen when you do something or get a room description, and change the picture after you've done something, like collect an object, by teleporting you to a new location that looks exactly like the old location, only with the new change, like the object being missing from the picture. I'd then change a global variable or two so you'd only go to the new location afterwards.
Also, I've already made a Main Interface picture. I don't have the buttons defined yet, but I have them placed, as well as the Game Image.

------------------
So what if I'm paranoid.

quote:

I was just going to have it display diologues to describe events that happen when you do something or get a room description, and change the picture after you've done something, like collect an object, by teleporting you to a new location that looks exactly like the old location, only with the new change, like the object being missing from the picture. I'd then change a global variable or two so you'd only go to the new location afterwards.

Wait, I've found out you can put stamps in main locations, and use events to place or remove stamps. These I can use for objects, ect.

quote:

I have three buttons for my main interface: LOOK, which whould bring up a dialogue assigned to the room you're in to get a description of that room (which I assume would involve a Call Event funtion); INVENTORY to get your inventory; and SAVE to, well, save.

I've descided to scrap LOOK and just have this as a separate button in the locations themselves. That way there will only be a LOOK button when you need it. And I've configured the other two buttons, so my Main Interface should be complete. Now, to fix how the game keeps crashing when I try to enter a location with a main interface (hint, hint).

quote;

Origionally posted by unknown:
Origionally posted by Dee:

I can't believe I mispelled "originally"!

P.S. How do you make those separate quote things?

------------------
So what if I'm paranoid.

(This message has been edited by unknown (edited 03-17-2002).)

**quote:

P.S. How do you make those separate quote things?

Keep the original text inside the tags "QUOTE", "B" and "/QUOTE", "/B"

Post all your commentary/reply below those tags.

Yay, WorldBuilder! I had animations in my big WorldBuilder effort, tho. The one that worked best was a rolling door that was brought to the scene piece by piece over about ten lines of script, so it looked like it was moving.

------------------
You see a Grue.