Graphics specifics questions

I've located a person interested in making some character graphics for a POG plug-in
for me, and he asked some graphics-specific questions that I don't know the answer to,
and was hoping some on here would know. Here is what he would like to know:

Max size in pixels (height and width of walking character)
Max size for action if any limitations
Number of frames for one full step (which includes both legs, full
rotation) 6, 8, 12, etc... horizontal, vertical
Transparent color (rgb value) any palette limitations

Game Specs:
Scroll rate of map in pixels (horizontal, vertical)

Since I am having him create NPC's which are interactive with the main POG character,
the above numbers should coincide with the main character's numbers. (ie, the npc's I
would like him to design should be approximately the same size as the hero in POG).

Thanks

------------------
Lolly lolly lolly get your adverbs here.

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**I've located a person interested in making some character graphics for a POG plug-in
for me, and he asked some graphics-specific questions that I don't know the answer to,
and was hoping some on here would know. Here is what he would like to know:

Max size in pixels (height and width of walking character)
Max size for action if any limitations
Number of frames for one full step (which includes both legs, full
rotation) 6, 8, 12, etc... horizontal, vertical
Transparent color (rgb value) any palette limitations

Game Specs:
Scroll rate of map in pixels (horizontal, vertical)

I asked the same questions early on. We should post our findings in the FAQ as it grows towards reality. In your case, deconstruct one of the PoG NPC's (several are on the "Wizards" demo game).

You are in luck in that you "only" need to deconstruct one of the PoG NPCs for this data. That is, assuming you have the "Wizards" preview game. In short, 80 x 100 worked fairly well for me, and keyframing can be used for each image (meaning the image can be centered in the PICT for maximum efficiency). As far as I know, PICTS of different size can be mixed and matched.

The frame rate is dependent on CPU speed :frown: Using 6-8 frames for each walk cycle, and setting Coldstone to wait 1 frame between each, will fit in with PoG.

White is used for transparency (I can't remember the exact color value, but it is base white). Unfortunately, no-one I've talked to yet has gotten an alpha mask to work in a character animation.

------------------
everywhere else, it's --
"Nomuse"

Really? I use PNG's for all my characters, and they seem to work fine. It wouldn't be pretty if I was forced to use white transparency, as all my graphics are anti-aliased.

------------------
CALL 555-1234 TO ADVERTISE HERE

Originally posted by RyanP:
**Really? I use PNG's for all my characters, and they seem to work fine. It wouldn't be pretty if I was forced to use white transparency, as all my graphics are anti-aliased.

I think I only tried it with PICTS (like the sample game uses). Thanks for the info! 🙂

------------------
everywhere else, it's --
"Nomuse"

PNG seems to be the way to go for any 24-bit with alpha files. I haven't tried it in Coldstone, but it works a lot better in Flash than PICT. And, Photoshop does "save for web" with PNG-24/transparency as an option, so it's super easy.

------------------
marc siry
century city, usa

Originally posted by Commander Arashi:
**I think I only tried it with PICTS (like the sample game uses). Thanks for the info!:)

You can use anti-aliased graphics by choosing a base color for your document (look closely at the edges of objects/characters of pog: they must have used a black background) once you are done drawing, select and delete the background color or fill with white.
I chose green for some of my custom forest-base graphics (which very few people seem to like) and it worked well.

------------------
"Get back to work, you slacker!" - Duke Nukem

Originally posted by Wim:
**You can use anti-aliased graphics by choosing a base color for your document (look closely at the edges of objects/characters of pog: they must have used a black background) once you are done drawing, select and delete the background color or fill with white.
I chose green for some of my custom forest-base graphics (which very few people seem to like) and it worked well.

There will be a significant number of people who don't read the forums, but do check the add-ons section of the website. My recommendation is to upload all the files, with some sort of read me about them, and perhaps you could even include the Coldstone files that do the automatic mapping thing.

I feel quite certain that all graphic resources will be welcomed when people start to get into the swing of things.

------------------
quitcherbellyachin.
---
New Fortress of Die Nacht released! (12/20) (url="http://"http://aviary.damnsw.net")Download it from here!(/url) | | (url="http://"http://aviary.damnsw.net/downloads/dienachtd5.sit")direct download(/url) | | (url="http://"http://aviary.damnsw.net/fortress/progresslog.html")Progress Log (12/20)(/url)

Originally posted by theGlueBubble:
**There will be a significant number of people who don't read the forums, but do check the add-ons section of the website. My recommendation is to upload all the files, with some sort of read me about them, and perhaps you could even include the Coldstone files that do the automatic mapping thing.
I feel quite certain that all graphic resources will be welcomed when people start to get into the swing of things.

Okay Bubble, I will upload them anyway, I intended to wait for some useful feedback from people who downloaded the tiles from my page (with read me txt based on DN map authoring template), so I could upload an improved version if necessary.
It might take a while before I put it on the addon-page, because I'm adding more tiles to the wateredge (earth-water, and grasswater-earthwater transitions).

------------------
"Get back to work, you slacker!" - Duke Nukem