Teleport player problem

I created an item that will teleport the player from players current location in the game to another specific location.

Everything works great except that after the teleport is finished, the game freezes and the player and the other NPC in the location cannot move. The only way I have found to unfreeze it without force quiting is to press my escape key. After I do this, the player and the other NPC in the location are free to move around and the player can be moved by mouse/arrow keys.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

Second related question: Is it a requirement of the engine that in order for a player to be teleported to a new location, they must first have previously been to the location they are being teleported to? (Such as with the teleport stones in trinity.)

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

------------------
CRH

You might have a look at the provided medieval map, where the player enters a cave and is teleported to the inside of the cave. Study how it is done and replicate that.

------------------
"Get back to work, you slacker!" - Duke Nukem

Originally posted by Wim:
**You might have a look at the provided medieval map, where the player enters a cave and is teleported to the inside of the cave. Study how it is done and replicate that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look. I made the little game when I first Dl'd Coldstone but never thought about saving the game to keep as a resource for looking into,
even though now that I looked at the start of the manual again, it suggested it. Me bad, very, very bad. 😉

------------------
CRH

I think I saw something in the engine call that unfreezes the player, but that's likely something else. Another thing, if you're running 8.6, (or possibly a latter version) you can hold Apple and press Tab, and keep holding Apple and it will let you change programs if you're running any in the background.

------------------
-TheDarkDragon
If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, that's a victory.
"(and when all else fails, claim it is heretical, and quote some badly translated passages from an old book like the bible)"-andrew

Bump.

Still have the same problem of both NPC and player being frozen after teleporting from someplace in the game to the island of Kalixa by use of an item.

Using my item gets me there just fine and in the location I want but the screen is frozen.
The only work around I have been able to come up with is to add a diologue window to the end of the teleport action that instructs the game player to tap their escape key, which then unfreezes the game.

Anyone have any other ideas, since I know it can be done. They did it in Trinity after all. 🙂

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

------------------
CRH

Hi ChristopherH:

I have a theory: the game engine still thinks the inventory window is open. Hitting ESC closes the (now invisible) inventory window and lets the game progress.

I was able to reproduce what you see by creating an item which teleports on use. The actual event is identical to the existing map-change events (go into and out of the Dragon Cave -- this is in the default Medieval game not a plugin).

The only difference, of course, is that those existing events happen when the inventory window is not open, whereas using the teleporter item happens inside your inventory.

But I don't see an Action or Engine Call to close the inventory window programmatically. I'm guessing this is just a BUG.

-jinnes

------------------

Originally posted by jinnes:

But I don't see an Action or Engine Call to close the inventory window programmatically. I'm guessing this is just a BUG.

-jinnes

Thanks for your response. I personally am not at the point where I am ready to call it a BUG. The folks that made the Trinity plug-in were able to make it work flawlessly. Therefore, I tend to think the engine is working as intended and I have overlooked something. Of Course it could be as you say a Bug and the Trinity folks managed to come up with a work around that is alot cleaner than anything I have managed to come up with.

Since none of the mods or anyone from Beenox has responded to my plea for help, (and hey, they all are darn busy and one can't expect them to respond to each and every little problem now can we? :)) So for now, since I have come up with a work around, (even if it is not exactly an elegant one :redface:), I'm going to let this topic die and patiently wait for the new tutorial in hopes that I will be able to find something in it to help me solve this.

Thanks again for your response.

------------------
CRH

Christopher,

I've experienced the same exact problem and tried using engine calls, end events, etc. to try and unfreeze the character.

It's either a bug or they haven't properly documented what you need to make it work properly.

--v

------------------

Try doing the hero placement event first if you're not. I had that problem for a little while too, but I believe it was caused because the teleport was teleporting to an unkown area on the map or an unmade area on the map.

Originally posted by ChristopherH:
**I created an item that will teleport the player from players current location in the game to another specific location.

Everything works great except that after the teleport is finished, the game freezes and the player and the other NPC in the location cannot move. The only way I have found to unfreeze it without force quiting is to press my escape key. After I do this, the player and the other NPC in the location are free to move around and the player can be moved by mouse/arrow keys.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

Second related question: Is it a requirement of the engine that in order for a player to be teleported to a new location, they must first have previously been to the location they are being teleported to? (Such as with the teleport stones in trinity.)

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Ok, now I know how to do that. As a matter of fact, if you link to the "use" of an object the teleportation, the item window remains open, and then you're obliged to hit the "esc" key to close it (to tell the engine to close it). Thus, the only thing you've to do is to make a spell which teleports the player wherever you want, and then trigger the spell upon use of the item.

I've tried it, and it works 🙂

Sincerely (and thanks to Glenn for pointing out that apples and such are linked to spells (which trigger animations),

Alois

------------------

(quote)Originally posted by alois:
**Ok, now I know how to do that. As a matter of fact, if you link to the "use" of an object the teleportation, the item window remains open, and then you're obliged to hit the "esc" key to close it (to tell the engine to close it). Thus, the only thing you've to do is to make a spell which teleports the player wherever you want, and then trigger the spell upon use of the item.

I've tried it, and it works 🙂

Thanks again for your help.

------------------
CRH

**Yes! Thank you very much. I've been struggling with this for 5 days and I doubt if I would have solved it for quite some time without your help.

I suppose it would be greedy of me to ask if you know how I can get a new item added into a pre-existing shop in PoG without access to the original shop location folder, so I won't 🙂

Thanks again for your help.

My guess: 1) write down all the items which are offered to the shop in PoG; 2) make a new shop with the same items, plus the ones you want to be offered; 3) when the player accesses the shop, trigger an event which checks for a global variable, and sends the player to the new shop if the variable is 1, or to the old one otherwise.

In this way you can have more than one shop (making different items available depending on the value of the variables, for example, or after completing some quests).

Hope this helps,

Alois

------------------

Originally posted by alois:
**My guess: 1) write down all the items which are offered to the shop in PoG; 2) make a new shop with the same items, plus the ones you want to be offered; 3) when the player accesses the shop, trigger an event which checks for a global variable, and sends the player to the new shop if the variable is 1, or to the old one otherwise.

In this way you can have more than one shop (making different items available depending on the value of the variables, for example, or after completing some quests).

Hope this helps,

Alois

Yeah, I had thought of this idea but I was hoping that perhaps there was an easy way to get access and that I had just overlooked it. Ah well, this way will give me some practice at using global variables so I'll go ahead and give it a try. Thanks for all your help. By the way, ever been to Sestre LeVante(sp.), it's one of my favorite places to visit when I've been in Italy. Beautiful ocean water, friendly people and great food. What more could one ask for?

------------------
CRH

By the way, ever been to Sestre LeVante(sp.), it's one of my favorite places to visit when I've been in Italy. Beautiful ocean water, friendly people and great food. What more could one ask for?

Alas, never been there, but (as far as I know) I must agree with you on Sestri Levante!

Sincerely,

Alois

------------------