graphics dimensions/formats

I want to make my own graphics for use with Coldstone while is being developed, so no time will be lost in producing it once Coldstone is released. That would be a time-saver. But I need to know some specific info, that I could not find in the FAQ or the topics of the last year in this board.
There has been mention of 32x32 character sprites. It was also mentioned, that there is no limit to the tilesizes for maps, although I also read something about 64x64. Concerning the preferred format, Pict, jpeg and png were mentioned.
I would love to rip the .dat file of POG apart, to learn these things, but alas...no can do. I could also make screenshots of POG and analyse those. But I hope someone would like to give me some useful specifics about the best choice of graphics dimensions/formats, so I can get working on them. Who?

------------------
"Get back to work, you slacker!" - Duke Nukem

I don't know about dimensions. But Coldstone supports gif, jpeg, and png. I'm not sure about PICTs, but I believe they are allowed.

------------------
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Originally posted by spitfire:
**I don't know about dimensions. But Coldstone supports gif, jpeg, and png. I'm not sure about PICTs, but I believe they are allowed.

jpeg would be very risky because it is a compression method with a lot of loss. Every time you save, the quality gets worse. So in the case of jpeg you need base documents in a lossless format like tiff, if you want to edit them later, and import them in Coldstone as jpeg's. Gif is restrained to very few colors, that wouldn't be an option for me. And picts have huge filesizes. I'm not much used to png, so it would be jpeg for me.

Does anybody know if I can save jpegs without the resourcefork, will Coldstone recognize them? It would make the filesizes a lot smaller.

And am I correct that the background tiles of POG are 96x96?

------------------

(This message has been edited by Wim (edited 01-07-2002).)

Pgn files would allow you to do some interesting things with alpha masks (transparency), but I agree jpg is the best way to go. I plan on working with very large, lossless files right up until the very end, then when I'm sure I've got the look of the overall game where I want it, I'll jpg compress everything down for the final version. That's the theory anyway -- it may prove difficult to put into practice, but we shall see.

Not sure about he resource fork thing.

------------------
--
Mauglir

Originally posted by spitfire:
**I don't know about dimensions. But Coldstone supports gif, jpeg, and png. I'm not sure about PICTs, but I believe they are allowed.

Yes, PICTs are allowed. It says it on Beenox's site.

------------------
"There is a theory
which states that if ever
anyone discovers
exactly what the

Originally posted by Wim:
And am I correct that the background tiles of POG are 96x96?

There isn't really a fixed size for the tiles. Your ground tiles can be whatever you want them to be as long as you have a whole ground. The movement tiles are 32x32 however. Yet in your game, you can change this also, your movement tiles can be whatever you want them to be. Just make sure you have ground tiles that will fit in with the movement tiles somehow.

When making your own game, the sprites can be any size you want them to be. If you played PoG for a long time, you'd notice that the sprite sizes vary greatly from monster to monster. And in larger monsters, you'd notice that the sizes change from frame to frame. When a wyrm or a termite attacks you, you'll see that the health bar, which borders the bottom of each sprite, will often be lowered and raised due to an extension of a head or tail. So make your sprites whatever size you want them to be, don't hold back anything. Just create and enjoy yourselves.

------------------

Originally posted by Kireck L:
**So make your sprites whatever size you want them to be, don't hold back anything. Just create and enjoy yourselves.

Thanks for your reply Kireck! Creating is always very enjoyable, I'm already creating, so my stuff is ready once Coldstone is released.

Just now I read that the demo has been released! YEZZZZZ!

------------------

(This message has been edited by Wim (edited 01-16-2002).)