RPG hackers

I was thinking of posing this in the thread about angband, but it's really about something different.

One other thing that I noticed in every rogue-like game I've played is a collection of editable text files that could be used to changed the monsters in the game, the objects, just about anything.

If you knew what you were doing, you could add a lot to the game ย— or use some of the greatest cheats known to man.

In coldstone, will we be able to make external files that would be used with our games? Such as, making our game's set of monsters an external file that could be edited by any player, with a word processor instead of coldstone. Naturally, you can screw up your game by editing these files, but the people too stupid to learn hot to do it usually don't go looking for the game's data in the first place.

------------------
This is a classic mikee argument: 1) Make an outlandish, inflamatory statement 2) Backpeddle from it 3) Throw up some straw men 4) Nitpick to divert attention from the real argument at hand
ย—Andrew

I'm afraid that's not possible, coldstone's data is stored in a brand new Coldstone only file format. If you want people to edit them you can specify in the game options to make them read and write able (however, the user will have to have a fully registered version of Coldstone to edit the files). You can also mark them so they are not editable, meaning people can't tamper with your game. ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
Ladies and Gentlemen, as you know we have something special for you at
Birdland this evening. A recording for Blue Note Records...

Let's take it back to the concrete streets, original beats and real live MC's...
"I don't know how radical you are or how radical I am. I am certainly not radical enough; that is, one must always try to be as radical as reality itself" - Lenin

That's good to know.

What about putting cheat codes directly in to your games? ๐Ÿ˜„
Althought cheats usually don't go well in RPGs at all, I was wondering if it's possible without trying to manipulate Coldstone features to get cheat-like results... heh.

------------------
Don't read this.

Originally posted by ~Magus~:
That's good to know.
What about putting cheat codes directly in to your games? ๐Ÿ˜„
Althought cheats usually don't go well in RPGs at all, I was wondering if it's possible without trying to manipulate Coldstone features to get cheat-like results... heh.

Oh, I'm fairly certain you could implement something like that. While you couldn't do the 'console' of most first-person shooters, you could probably make it so if you hit a certain key and then quickly typed out a sequence of letters, something special happened.

------------------
People who claim the sky is falling obviously aren't aware the earth is falling, too.
--
"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" --Benjamin Franklin.