What now?

And why was my post about Gmax deleted? I simply posted a tid bit of NEWS that every respectible artists would like to know. Message boards about the exchange of ideas and NEWS why would one delete a news topic that could help with peoples biggest problem...graphics. I understand your grounds for locking then moving the heroes of the ages topic but this has no reason. Why oh why dear friends??

Moderators......like women, no man will ever understand why they do the things they do.
(I would not be surprised if this gets deleted πŸ™‚ )

------------------
"Whos your daddy?....I am."

(This message has been edited by Eclipse3D (edited 09-29-2001).)

heh...you strange little man. πŸ˜›

Nah, only joking -- I didn't see the thread, so I can't really say if it should have been deleted or not.

------------------
Ladies and Gentlemen, as you know we have something special for you at
Birdland this evening. A recording for Blue Note Records...

Let's take it back to the concrete streets, original beats and real live MC's...
"I don't know how radical you are or how radical I am. I am certainly not radical enough; that is, one must always try to be as radical as reality itself" - Lenin

Huh, it shouldn't have been deleted. I read it, and it was telling about the release of a free 3D editor...go ahead and repost it, if you would like, Eclipse.

------------------
Fortress of Die Nacht: An upcoming game from Aviary Productions.
(url="http://"http://www.aviaryproductions.f2s.com/downloads.html")Go take a look!(/url)

Originally posted by theGlueBubble:
**Huh, it shouldn't have been deleted. I read it, and it was telling about the release of a free 3D editor...go ahead and repost it, if you would like, Eclipse.

Moderators:

It might have been deleted by a higher authority!

The free program in question ran only under Windows.

Coldstone does not run under or written for Windows, therefore it just didn't belong. Here or on any other Ambrosia board.

Skip

------------------
...it wasn't me...

(This message has been edited by SkipMeier (edited 09-29-2001).)

I disagree -- first off, I don't think it's official that Coldstone won't be for Windows. Second, artists on Windows might work with developers on Mac.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.aviaryproductions.f2s.com/downloads.html")Go take a look!(/url)

Originally posted by theGlueBubble:
**I disagree -- first off, I don't think it's official that Coldstone won't be for Windows. Second, artists on Windows might work with developers on Mac.

And what are you disagreeing with?

That it doesn't belong on an Ambrosia Webboard?

Well then, you are opening up these boards to a countless number of free advertisements for Windows programs.

This is a Coldstone board. Perhaps someday it will run under Windows. But not now.

This is not a Graphics Tools board. Windows users have many sources for free Windows programs... Windows artists can work with Coldstone Mac users but this board is directed toward Coldstone users; not Windows Graphics artists.

And finally, I didn't remove the thread. But someone did. Guess who...

Skip

------------------
...it wasn't me...

Originally posted by SkipMeier:
**this board is directed toward Coldstone users; not Windows Graphics artists.

So your saying those using coldstone arent inclined to make their own graphics? I thought coldstone lets you import your own graphics? Sharing a news about a prog that was just realease that lets the less funded and skilled folks make good graphics is defanitly something that should be posted here seeing that (A) you can import your own grphics into coldstone and (B)Most everyone here is STARVING for graphics. I'm not going to re-post the message because I recently found out that the game has to be developed using Gmax technology in-order to be used with that game, coldstone was not.

------------------

Forgot to add this: No offence to Ambrosia and you mac people but for Ambrosia to not release coldstone on both Mac AND Windows would be a HUGE profit mistake. The only place I have seen macs used is in one of the two high schools I've been to(seattle and NM). I know there are a large number of mac useres but us windows users out number you at least 3 to 1(numbers off the top of my head πŸ™‚ ) If ambrosia opened their doors to windows then they'd probably at least double** their sales of coldstone. I know there are a lot of people like me out there that would love to get to use coldstone.

This is my 2 cents on the subject.....bash away πŸ˜‰

------------------

Originally posted by Eclipse3D:
**...snip
Sharing a news about a prog that was just realease that lets the less funded and skilled folks make good graphics is defanitly something that should be posted here seeing that (A) you can import your own grphics into coldstone and (B)Most everyone here is STARVING for graphics.
...snip

Oh, for pity's sake...

The less funded and less skilled are certainly less likely to have two or more computers, MacOS and Windows...

It really isn't a matter of 'good graphics' but 'appropriate content to message'.

Coldstone and it's users can import rendered 2D graphics from countless sources. There are many free 3D graphics creation tools available for MacOS that have already been mentioned. And as you so eloquently put it, people are STARVING for graphics... but not for one more creation tool (and one that runs on a platform that most here don't have) and, in particular, uses a proprietary system.

Peace,

Skip

------------------
...it wasn't me...

Forgot to add this: No offence to Ambrosia and you mac people but for Ambrosia to not release coldstone on both Mac AND Windows would be a HUGE profit mistake. The only place I have seen macs used is in one of the two high schools I've been to(seattle and NM). I know there are a large number of mac useres but us windows users out number you at least 3 to 1(numbers off the top of my head:) ) If ambrosia opened their doors to windows then they'd probably at least double their sales of coldstone. I know there are a lot of people like me out there that would love to get to use coldstone.

This is my 2 cents on the subject.....bash away πŸ˜‰

I'm certainly not going to 'bash away', but you really should consider the strength's and weakness's of the two platforms. And the buying habits of IT managers. Microsoft rode in on the coattails (as a somewhat unwelcome guest) of IBM back in 1983 and soon had a monopoly of PC business systems. But it never won the graphics dept's.

It is not really a simple matter to 'write to both platforms' because the Intel and PowerPC architectures are quite different. File formats can be easily shared but little else can so easily be adapted.

A company usually wishes to restrict development to one platform because of financial considerations... it is not the other way around. A small software company is faced with a huge support burden if writing for the PC market simply because of the vast number of computer manufacturers (read garage tinkerers) and hardware suppliers. A large PC software company also then has to add additional support (hard- and software personnel) for the Mac market.

Coldstone is now a Mac only product. Coldstone users have Macs.

Again, Peace

Skip

------------------
...it wasn't me...

(quote)Originally posted by Eclipse3D:
**Forgot to add this: No offence to Ambrosia and you mac people but for Ambrosia to not release coldstone on both Mac AND Windows would be a HUGE profit mistake. The only place I have seen macs used is in one of the two high schools I've been to(seattle and NM). I know there are a large number of mac useres but us windows users out number you at least 3 to 1(numbers off the top of my head:p.

Saphfire

------------------

I see nothing wrong with a potentially helpful post. Don't click on the link if you're going to whine about it.

------------------

I'm not saying "oh gee golly gosh darn why cant it be made for my purdy windows" I'm just saying that making it for windows would give Ambrosia more money AND recognition. With the growing hype about these progs that will let even the village idiot make their own game you bet your ass every programmer and their mother is going to try to jump into the market. A great example MMORPGs, come 2002 there will be so many different MMO games on the shelf that each game will only have a thousand players. I figure that Ambrosia should release it for both OS's (or whatever) so they could make the money before the compitition gets worse. I'm sure us windows folks can live our lives with out coldstone and wait until the next guy makes something like it but it would be nice to have it sooner. πŸ™‚

I'm sure this argument has been run to the ground several times already, I'll stop here just to spare you guys! πŸ˜‰
Oh and next time I'll edit the message, sorry.

(This message has been edited by Eclipse3D (edited 09-30-2001).)

I'm not saying "oh gee golly gosh darn why cant it be made for my purdy windows" I'm just saying that making it for windows would give Ambrosia more money AND recognition. With the growing hype about these progs that will let even the village idiot make their own game you bet your ass every programmer and their mother is going to try to jump into the market. A great example MMORPGs, come 2002 there will be so many different MMO games on the shelf that each game will only have a thousand players. I figure that Ambrosia should release it for both OS's (or whatever) so they could make the money before the compitition gets worse.

Coldstone is NOT a massively-multi-player-online-RPG. It does not have any competition with MMORPGs. **

I'm sure us windows folks can live our lives with out coldstone and wait until the next guy makes something like it but it would be nice to have it sooner.

Originally posted by -Mouse:
Coldstone is NOT a massively-multi-player-online-RPG. It does not have any competition with MMORPGs.

Yeah, I used mmorpgs as an EXAMPLE of everyone jumping on the bandwagon and making the same thing. I was saying the same thing could happen with programs like coldstone. I also heard RPG maker sucks so.....uh no.

------------------
Heroes Of The Ages Project: (URL=http://www.stormpages.com/heroesofages(/URL)

(This message has been edited by Eclipse3D (edited 09-30-2001).)

Originally posted by SkipMeier:

Well then, you are opening up these boards to a countless number of free advertisements for Windows programs.

This is a Coldstone board. Perhaps someday it will run under Windows. But not now.

This is not a Graphics Tools board. Windows users have many sources for free Windows programs... Windows artists can work with Coldstone Mac users but this board is directed toward Coldstone users; not Windows Graphics artists.

I'm surprised Chill hasn't got here by now. Keep an open mind pally. I have 3 PC's and a mac, I don't really know how to make graphics. I am interested in Graphics Programs that are easy to use and it doesn't really matter what OS they're for. This is a DIVERSE board ok? We're not all anti-windows, as you seem to be. Remember, Microsoft hasn't done anything to you personally and on purpose to warrant your thinly veiled hatred.

------------------
"How pitiful you are. How pitiful you are to think that I would slay my only brother. Yes, my only brother, for you are no longer a God, Nexus, and you are no longer my brother"

Two things:

1. I deleted the post in question. If you have an issue with that (no matter who you are), contact me via email.

2. Platform wars are off-topic on this webboard. They are to stop.

------------------
People who claim the sky is falling obviously aren't aware the earth is falling, too.
--
"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" --Benjamin Franklin.

Yeah, I used mmorpgs as an EXAMPLE of everyone jumping on the bandwagon and making the same thing. I was saying the same thing could happen with programs like coldstone.

Oops, sorry. My bad.

**I also heard RPG maker sucks so.....uh no.

Then learn to program for windoze, don't ask for a company to port thier program to the other side.

Originally posted by sanehatter:
**Two things:

1. I deleted the post in question. If you have an issue with that (no matter who you are), contact me via email.

2. Platform wars are off-topic on this webboard. They are to stop.

Yeah, I'm leaving this board. I see no point in spending my time in a place were one cant share things and debate with others. The people here are arrogant and rude INCLUDING most of the moderators, which is the main reason why I'm leaving. Call me what ever you want, delete my topics, and see if I care. I will not recommend coldstone to anybody along with any other Ambrosia product because even the mods here arenΒ’t kind to their number one priority, the customers. It hasn't been great and I hope not to see you guys soon.

------------------
Heroes Of The Ages Project: (URL=http://www.stormpages.com/heroesofages(/URL)

**Yeah, I'm leaving this board. I see no point in spending my time in a place were one cant share things and debate with others. The people here are arrogant and rude INCLUDING most of the moderators, which is the main reason why I'm leaving. Call me what ever you want, delete my topics, and see if I care. I will not recommend coldstone to anybody along with any other Ambrosia product because even the mods here arenΒ’t kind to their number one priority, the customers. It hasn't been great and I hope not to see you guys soon.

Remember that the moderators do not represent Ambrosia Software. They represent themselves. As for you leaving, that's your choice, but, again, you should be aware that anybody who posts on this webboard is somebody with their own opinions and their own thoughts, and not representative of Ambrosia (except, of course, the few who do work at ASW, andrew, David Dunham, etc.). I urge you to stay, as this forum will become very valuable once Coldstone is released.

------------------
We make no destinction between terrorists and those who harbor them. - President George W. Bush, 9/11/01
(url="http://"http://www.escapevelocity.f2s.com")EV Upcoming Plug-Ins Directory(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.nohate.f2s.com")Don't Hate Me(/url) | (url="http://"http://yoshi.zzux.com/spaceport/")The Spaceport Bar(/url)