Graphics

Supposing your character changed his weapon would you be able to make the graphics change without having to do loads of versions of character types with every single weapon?

-Pad the Inscrutable

------------------

I'm pretty sure you can just change the picture of a character.

------------------
I'm just your average run-of-the-mill demon possessed, bloodsucking, headhunting, cold-blooded, hot-headed, pyromaniac.
My name is Legion, for we are many.

Of course, you'd be better off if you just had a few different weapon types, each with only 1-3 different "looks" for each weapon type, that way if your character is carrying a regular sword, or a short sword or longsword, you would only need one set for those, and then maybe another for magical items, and another for specalty items(ie, a "Master Sword" that is the only sowrd that uses that set).

Anyways, I myself am going to have one set(movement, attacking, etc.) of sprite frames for each weapon, but I also have to multiply each set by the number of armor picture sets(currently 6 armor types including un-armored). So, basically I have to have 24 sets of walking sprites - 4 (weapon types, incl. unarmed) x 6 (armor types, incl. un-armored). Walking takes 8 pics - 2x each direction(4), plus 8 more for attacking, so 16x24 = 384 pictures(each 32x32 pixels in size) for one character. Hand drawn. Note that spell casting uses the unarmed attacking set with the spell's sprite on top.

Monsters have 16 or 24 pictures, townspeople have 8(walking, n,s,e,w, no diagonal movement in my game), and NPCs and Bosses have anywhere from 16 to 64 plus whatever frames I might use for special events(ie, a special death where they fall over and go kablewy in a non-gory mess). And then, if I want to ass the option of playing as a female, I have to double the number of character sprites. No thanks.

Oops. That kinda spiraled around Sierra's Law. Sorry.

That's why I like 3D programs... once you have the model (and textures), you can generate as much artwork for it as you need. 🙂 Of course, you have to do the model first...

------------------
People who claim the sky is falling obviously aren't aware the earth is falling, too.
--
"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" --Benjamin Franklin.

Wouldn't it be so much easier for you to just change the attack animation with every weapon type. That would be much easier than having more walking graphics with each weapon. Just have 'em wip it out and swing in like five frames to make life easier.

------------------

Originally posted by Kireck L:
**Wouldn't it be so much easier for you to just change the attack animation with every weapon type. That would be much easier than having more walking graphics with each weapon. Just have 'em wip it out and swing in like five frames to make life easier.

What if a person's game has the character never put his weapon away(unless, of course, he disarms himself and puts the weapon in the pack)? Then what?

At any rate, one needs a lot of character graphics, the more weapons and armor and actions, the more sprites needed. (sigh).

(quote)Originally posted by -Mouse:
(QUOTE)
At any rate, one needs a lot of character graphics, the more weapons and armor and actions, the more sprites needed. (sigh).
(/quote)

Yeah well that is our task...the main character graphic is the single most important object in the game....bar none. It is the lone thing you will have to look at time and time again. SO it might as well be the most beautiful labor intensive thing crafted for within the game.

------------------
...go fall on something sharp.

Originally posted by chill_rx:
**Yeah well that is our task...the main character graphic is the single most important object in the game....bar none. It is the lone thing you will have to look at time and time again. SO it might as well be the most beautiful labor intensive thing crafted for within the game.

Dang right, Mr. Offender!