Battle system

I'm a bit confused about the battle system 😕

Is it like the DiabloII system where you just click on the bad guy to hack away at him, or does it have a bit more complexity and substanse to it?

------------------

The battle system is whatever you make it, but it adheres to certain boundaries. It is real-time, and attacks can be based on (last I heard) mouse clicks and/or hotkeys. The rest is up to your imagination.

Saphfire

------------------

So, could a command-click(second mouse botton if configred correctly) be used as a second attack, similar to Diablo II (ie normal click = normal attack, cmd-click = pre-selected spell/other attack/ability)?

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.avidgamers.com/phil")Philosophical Mouse(/url), two word that don't go together.
D**nit, these marshmellows are ADDICTIVE!!! I can't stop eating them, and the bag is enchanted to never be empty of them!
(/backspeak)(/mindless rant)

I plan to have multiple attacks using several hot keys - it would make combat more strategic.

-Pad the inscrutable 😉

------------------

It's nice how they give us so many options, cuz I'm gonna need TONS of 'em for my battle system. My main character is a shape shifter and he's gonna have at least 30+ forms to take up. That brings up a very important question. crosses fingers

Even though you can only use ONE character, does that mean that he is the only who's levels and stats are kept track of. This is important to me because, in my game, you'll have to play as different characters at different times. And when the main character transforms, he becomes another creature with it's own level and stats and experience and skills chart. Please tell me that I can have different player characters at different times with their own stats and levels (etc...) without a huge, complicated variable system.

PLEASE tell me that and I'll be fine.

Originally posted by Kireck:
**It's nice how they give us so many options, cuz I'm gonna need TONS of 'em for my battle system. My main character is a shape shifter and he's gonna have at least 30+ forms to take up. That brings up a very important question. crosses fingers

Even though you can only use ONE character, does that mean that he is the only who's levels and stats are kept track of. This is important to me because, in my game, you'll have to play as different characters at different times. And when the main character transforms, he becomes another creature with it's own level and stats and experience and skills chart. Please tell me that I can have different player characters at different times with their own stats and levels (etc...) without a huge, complicated variable system.

PLEASE tell me that and I'll be fine.**

Begging is futile. Ambrosia/Beenox is deaf to such efforts.

Saphfire

------------------

**Please tell me that I can have different player characters at different times with their own stats and levels (etc...) without a huge, complicated variable system.

PLEASE tell me that and I'll be fine.**

without a variable system? that's the only way anyone could do that. the engine isn't going to make your game for you, it just helps you keep things straight and makes the system calls needed to create the application. You still have to do the planning. and besides: your idea here sounds like it's just keeping a bunch of numbers organized and giving them names/graphics that the player will recognize. I'm sure you can store any number of variables in your save files, so I don't really see the problem. You'll just have to keep track of a whole bunch of different things -- something you won't be able to avoid with a shapshifting character. there's no 'if's 'and's or 'but's about it.

as for begging... It's not like ASW/Beenox is deaf to our complaints. I'm sure they'd love to make this engine do everything you could imagine and more. But they can't. There is a limit to what a small group of talented people can produce within a given time frame. I'm sure that if there's a v2 or v1.5 or whatever you'll see some of the options you want implemented. but our boys at Beenox have to limit themselves for now or you'll never see anything because the product will never launch. it's been pushed back a year already by adding in a lot of new features and giving the editor a once (twice, and thrice) over. so, let v1.0 be v1.0 on its own merrit. when you don't get any of your toys in v2.0, then you can complain.

(edited for usage errors)

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

(This message has been edited by jmitchell (edited 07-18-2001).)

BEGGING? What do you mean begging? I was just hoping really hard. I kinda figured that it would have to be done with a variable system anyway. It's alright, I'll get over it. One more question, if NPCs can't fight each other, does that nullify the possibility of making a charm spell?

My main character is a shape shifter

Well, that makes two of us now... Though I suspect my character will be rather different, since he/she/it is a dragon, and limited to variations on the basic draconic form (though I'll admit you can get some pretty extreme variations).
With luck Coldstone will be able to do what I want it to - if not, I have other options.

------------------
(Insert Signature Here)

Yeah, but I guess it couldn't be THAT bad though. I've had to use a variable system before to do transformations using RPG Maker 2000 on my Virtual PC (slow peice of trash) and it wasn't too too bad. When Coldstone comes out, if you have a better method than I do, hopefully you can help me.

Going back to Beeblebrox;
Is the battle system based completely on mouse clicks and hot keys, or can you use a joystick or one of those computer controllers that look kinda like dreamcast or playstation controllers?
I haven't played too many computer games, so i'm not quite sure how ignorant this question is. Maybe I'm just a moron and all you do is plug the joystick in and it takes control. :frown:

Originally posted by Rpigi:
Going back to Beeblebrox;
Is the battle system based completely on mouse clicks and hot keys, or can you use a joystick or one of those computer controllers that look kinda like dreamcast or playstation controllers? :frown:

What you're describing would be very easy with InputSprocket. Unfortunately, Apple is not supporting InputSprocket anymore under OS X, and therefore Coldstone won't support InputSprocket either.

If you have a USB joystick, you can get a control panel for OS 8.6 - 9.1 called USB Overdrive, which lets you map buttons to keyboard keys and mouse clicks.

As for hooking up a dreamcast controller, you'll need an adapter. They're out there, I don't know who makes them or how much they cost, but such things do exist.

------------------
People who claim the sky is falling obviously aren't aware the earth is falling, too.