layer effects

question: how may layers (discounting movement tiles) are we allowed to use per map? is there a limit? can you change the appearance of a layer over time (tint a flat color, darken it, change layer transparency, etc)? can you make screen fliters (images that are relative to the screen resolution and not map position)? I was planning on making a lot of effects channels (base image, a few layers of props, a few layers of shadows, and a lightness/darkness layer) so that I could do things like atmosphere and time change, and I wanted to start planning out the colors and values I'd use early.

I perused the logs, but I didn't see anything that answered this. if it's in there, just throw me a link and I'll read up on it myself.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

One thing that I try is checking the daily pic every morning, they sometimes answer questions. Also, sometimes you have to look really close at the really small font in those coldstone pictures. look for anything that might say "Add layer", which might help answer your question. Yeah I know, it's very HORRIBLE advice, but usually when no one answers, nobody that's present knows the answer.

Originally posted by jmitchell:
**question: how may layers (discounting movement tiles) are we allowed to use per map? is there a limit? can you change the appearance of a layer over time (tint a flat color, darken it, change layer transparency, etc)? can you make screen fliters (images that are relative to the screen resolution and not map position)? I was planning on making a lot of effects channels (base image, a few layers of props, a few layers of shadows, and a lightness/darkness layer) so that I could do things like atmosphere and time change, and I wanted to start planning out the colors and values I'd use early.

I perused the logs, but I didn't see anything that answered this. if it's in there, just throw me a link and I'll read up on it myself.

Last time I checked, there was no limit to the number of layers possible. As for filters and layer changes, the only way possible to do this is to make "overheads", layers directly over another layer with translucents and transparencies (much like an overhead projector). In this way, you could create shadows (a la animation cell shading) and light and darkness (animated light layer).

Saphfire

------------------

Yay!! Unlimited layers! Um... can you make layers appear and siappear with scripting?

Originally posted by Kireck:
Yay!! Unlimited layers! Um... can you make layers appear and siappear with scripting?

Umm....I really don't know. But you can animate the objects to appear and disappear.

Saphfire

------------------

That's wonderful news. OK, so can I make an event that plays a certain frame of the objects in that layer. That way I could control when it disapears, rather than the animation controling that?

Originally posted by saphfire:
**Last time I checked, there was no limit to the number of layers possible. As for filters and layer changes, the only way possible to do this is to make "overheads", layers directly over another layer with translucents and transparencies (much like an overhead projector). In this way, you could create shadows (a la animation cell shading) and light and darkness (animated light layer).

yeah, that's kind of what I expected. I guess I'm just worried about 3 things:

1.) can whole layers be changed? on, off, 100% transparency, 50% transparency?

3.) are there timer functions in CS?

2.) the memory requirements of implementing substitues for the aforementioned things. oh well, maybe my game will just take place durring the day...

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Originally posted by jmitchell:
**yeah, that's kind of what I expected. I guess I'm just worried about 3 things:

1.) can whole layers be changed? on, off, 100% transparency, 50% transparency?

3.) are there timer functions in CS?

2.) the memory requirements of implementing substitues for the aforementioned things. oh well, maybe my game will just take place durring the day...

I'm not sure about the transparencies or timer functions, but I'm certain that events can alter objects in layers, i.e. on and off. This is true of the global variables, if you goto the circle of light and play the song of destiny, then the huge gate blocking passage to the garden of evil would be gone.

In retrospect, after rethinking the facts, I know that this situation can be done in accordance to past posts and such. However, I am not sure of the means. It is either done by active layer/object manipulation (rejoice!), or by global variables that affect which map you enter into. If it's the latter, you can forget about event enabled active layer effects.

I'm sorry if I confused anyone by the above statements, and will gladly reiterate upon questioning.

Saphfire

------------------

Originally posted by saphfire:
**In retrospect, after rethinking the facts, I know that this situation can be done in accordance to past posts and such. However, I am not sure of the means. It is either done by active layer/object manipulation (rejoice!), or by global variables that affect which map you enter into. If it's the latter, you can forget about event enabled active layer effects.

I'm sorry if I confused anyone by the above statements, and will gladly reiterate upon questioning.

hmm... I think I get what you're saying -- though I'll guess I'll really have to wait until the engine is out to test my theory. I guess I can just do the prep work in the hopes that it's possible, and if it's not, at least I'll have gained some practice.

------------------
-Jedi