Game Theme

I am very new to these boards and very very very new to coldstone, I confess I know nothing about creating/writing games and doubt that I ever will. But at the risk of being shot down in flames.....

Everybody seems to either: a) do medievel type thingies or b)space type thingies (maybe I am over simplyfying(sp) here).

How about a Crouching Tiger type thingie? with abilities to run up walls, fly across bamboo jungles etc, you could use weapons and probably a bit of magic type stuff. You would have different areas, village, desert, forest etc. lots of ancient mysticism.

Ducks

------------------
"I think there is a world market for about five computers."
- Thomas J. Watson, founder of IBM

Of course, the theme of your game is wide open. Medieval and space games are just common ones. However, I think there have been some decent feudal-type games (I seem to recall on SNES something called "Indio-Way of the Ninja" or something like that...but I might be loopy off xerox toner). And of course there were those cool Koei strategy games like "Nobunaga's Ambition" and whatnot that were fuedal.
However, the thing with your particular idea is that Coldstone is an RPG kit, so some of the action elements you describe may not as feasable as they seem. Of course, you could adapt it to better suit what the CSE has to offer, and it would still be cool (sort of a Zelda / Chrysalys type maybe?) Just please, for the love of zombie Jeebus, don't ask about price, or parties, or net multiplaying.

------------------

(This message has been edited by rbliss (edited 06-19-2001).)

Everything you said is perfectly possible Anonymouse, exept for possibly, and I could be wrong, the running up walls. If you look at the screenshots, it seems to be a bit beyond the scope of Coldstone.

------------------
I'll take that nickel and raise you a grand. -TheDarkDragon

Originally posted by TheDarkDragon:
**Everything you said is perfectly possible Anonymouse, exept for possibly, and I could be wrong, the running up walls. If you look at the screenshots, it seems to be a bit beyond the scope of Coldstone.

A good animator and some well scripted events could make this completely possible.

Saphfire

------------------

Originally posted by Anonymouse:
(BHow about a Crouching Tiger type thingie? with abilities to run up walls, fly across bamboo jungles etc, you could use weapons and probably a bit of magic type stuff. You would have different areas, village, desert, forest etc. lots of ancient mysticism.
(/B)

That sounds like a really cool game. 🙂

------------------
The greatest author: Douglas Adams 1952-2001

Originally posted by Anonymouse:
**a) do medievel type thingies or b)space type thingies (maybe I am over simplyfying(sp) here).

How about a Crouching Tiger type thingie? with abilities to run up walls, fly across bamboo jungles etc, you could use weapons and probably a bit of magic type stuff. You would have different areas, village, desert, forest etc. lots of ancient mysticism.

::materializes, applauds::
Not a bad idea (albeit the movie was garbage)
Imaginative titles are the best ...don't take everyting just use aspects/elements from tiger,dragon,
which reminds a lot of dragonball to tell the truth...
::fades to black, picks the rooms pockets, dissapates::

------------------
Had to change my signature , made me look like a soft punk...speaking of go cop that single By Fatlip: 'What's up FatLip'... SO SAYS THE CHILL!
I shot the sheriff the deputy and head of bank treasury, some mounties in the bounty got a big bounty stressin' me...-MosDef
Setting the record for the most replies/profile updates in a single day...the Chill!

Hey chill, you say dragonball?

I just wanted to remind everyone that I'll be making a Dragon Ball Z game using the coldstone game engine.

If anyone wants some info on the game or the graphics I'll be posting more up in the Games section of my website. (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/mindspace")Mind Space Software(/url)

(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/MindSpaceGames/DBZ.html")Click Here(/url) to see a picture of some of the characters in the game.

Originally posted by chill_rx:
**::materializes, applauds::
Not a bad idea (albeit the movie was garbage)
Imaginative titles are the best ...don't take everyting just use aspects/elements from tiger,dragon,
which reminds a lot of dragonball to tell the truth...
::fades to black, picks the rooms pockets, dissapates::

somehow your dislike of the best movie in all time doesn't surprise me, oh you who claim FF7(the worst game of all time next only to Diablo2 and FF8) is "king"
😉

------------------
Evil is as Evil does

Originally posted by Lorenoth:
**somehow your dislike of the best movie in all time doesn't surprise me, oh you who claim FF7(the worst game of all time next only to Diablo2 and FF8) is "king"
😉

Your dislike of the Final Fantasy series, hero of countless cults and blockbuster best-seller, is atrocious. What's not to like about it? Sure, it's flawed and leaves little to freedom or imagination, but it provides an engaging plot that drives you throughout the entire disc, and provides a feeling of fun and satisfaction. Isn't that what games are for? On the other hand, many other RPGs felt generic and plastic to me, aka any that allow for creation of your own character. There just isn't enough emotional dev to keep me interested.

Saphfire

------------------

Originally posted by saphfire:
**Your dislike of the Final Fantasy series, hero of countless cults and blockbuster best-seller, is atrocious. What's not to like about it? Sure, it's flawed and leaves little to freedom or imagination, but it provides an engaging plot that drives you throughout the entire disc, and provides a feeling of fun and satisfaction. Isn't that what games are for? On the other hand, many other RPGs felt generic and plastic to me, aka any that allow for creation of your own character. There just isn't enough emotional dev to keep me interested.

Saphfire

it's just hard to play the person I wanted to be in FF7 and FF8. When Cloud would get in a fight with Barret I'd say to myself "If i actually controlled my character that wouldn't have happened" and in FF8 when Squatt was turning Rinoa away, I was like "Excuse me! Let me control this, the relationship would be a lot less one sided." It gives me a feeling of helplessness. And i like being able to create a character, it means you care more about it, as you had a part in its creation(this sounds funnier than it is). Of course if I had my way in my ColdStone game I'm not allowing character classes. I guess a certain class will just have to be called Xsora, and the only person who is that class is Xsora. hmm... of course if there's a character screen it would look kinda odd..... "Xsora level 36 Xsora" or something like that well if its totally customizable then I guess I won't have to worry about that.. but this topic wanders off course(kind of like any form of organized religion)

------------------
" Evil cannot die.."

**it's just hard to play the person I wanted to be in FF7 and FF8. When Cloud would get in a fight with Barret I'd say to myself "If i actually controlled my character that wouldn't have happened" and in FF8 when Squatt was turning Rinoa away, I was like "Excuse me! Let me control this, the relationship would be a lot less one sided." It gives me a feeling of helplessness. And i like being able to create a character, it means you care more about it, as you had a part in its creation(this sounds funnier than it is). Of course if I had my way in my ColdStone game I'm not allowing character classes. I guess a certain class will just have to be called Xsora, and the only person who is that class is Xsora. hmm... of course if there's a character screen it would look kinda odd..... "Xsora level 36 Xsora" or something like that well if its totally customizable then I guess I won't have to worry about that.. but this topic wanders off course(kind of like any form of organized religion)

Yes, I know exactly what you mean...one must find and strike that delicate balance between choices and forwarding the plot.

Saphfire

------------------

Hey,
Has anyone considered creating a modern day RPG based within a city,(Not like ShenMue)
withmore than natural abilities, I can't think of the literary term, but "when no none thinks its out of the ordinary"

(This message has been edited by ill_a_nois (edited 06-23-2001).)

**somehow your dislike of the best movie in all time doesn't surprise me, oh you who claim FF7(the worst gam---
::deletes rest of erroneous blasphemy::
<<don't wink at me>>

Crouching tiger's ending sucked maayne , admit it . and anything produced with CGE that is that overdramatic weill bite.
would youi play a game where all the people die or have their lives shattered at the end... NO
there is drama (like when Aeris died) and then there is that ---^
::thinks back on crouching' with disgust::

and just because you were never good enough to beat ruby and emerald find vincent&yuffie; , gain the master materia and breed the golden chocobo before killing Sepheroth with your level 85 party (each equipped with HP/MP + (maxxed out stats))
impervious to all elemental assaults--- the point is it was a good game you just couldn't appreciate it, and FF8 was probably to complex for you (missions) and you'd probably throw a fit if you played FF Tactics...

... You were never prepared...and I am unparalelled...
... S o S ays T he C hill !

------------------
Master of the Pseudo Technique, prophet of FinalFantasy, selfproclaimed dictator of Chicago...
TheChill

**Crouching tiger's ending sucked maayne , admit it . and anything produced with CGE that is that overdramatic weill bite.
would youi play a game where all the people die or have their lives shattered at the end... NO
there is drama (like when Aeris died) and then there is that ---^
::thinks back on crouching' with disgust::

and just because you were never good enough to beat ruby and emerald find vincent&yuffie; , gain the master materia and breed the golden chocobo before killing Sepheroth with your level 85 party (each equipped with HP/MP + (maxxed out stats))
impervious to all elemental assaults--- the point is it was a good game you just couldn't appreciate it, and FF8 was probably to complex for you (missions) and you'd probably throw a fit if you played FF Tactics...

... You were never prepared...and I am unparalelled...
... S o S ays T he C hill !

ok having Aeris die was a stupid waste of time. I knew it was coming, so I didn't bother using her. I actually only tried ruby and emerald each once. It was right when they first appeared, so of course I got totalled. I got each of the colored chocobos on the first try(gold included) I only used a walkthru to figure out how to get the black one, although I have since forgotten. But I bet chill, the obsessed king of FF7 could tell us exactly what grade of each gender and where u have to find them to breed a black.
FF8 was not too complexed, and I got really far(end of second to last disc I think, although it's been a while) without ever junctioning spells to my statistics. I just didn't know you could. I mean who wants to play a game that u have no control over, it's just like telling a story, is hopelessly boring, has many features you don't need to or shouldn't use if you have a grain of intelligence, poor graphics, lame plot, ok NO PLOT WHATSOEVER? Oh wait! I missed something! I think a game that includes minigames is down right sad. I didn't pay money for that piece of garbage chocobo game. I don't want to play cards, I want to roleplay damnit. Did they just package all of that other crap with it to make it look a little better? Both of those games were horrendous. (FF8 and 7).

No one's lives were shattered in CTHD. We don't even know if shao lon died(Jen). And Li Mu Bai, well it was a drama after all. I think that just enough tragedies happened to make the game beautiful. FF7, I mean wow. Aeris getting run through. I actually laughed. I was like "ok, where's the blood? and why does sephiroth look like a woman?" it's hard to take a cross dressing enemy seriously. The first time I saw him I was like "Ok why is that woman revealing her chest on public television?" and then I realized it was a man. Oops. Sorry old sephy.
I think that aeris's death was poorly done. I mean some mean guy floating out of the clouds, killing your girlfriend, and then disappearing before you have a chance to swear at him just doesn't seem right. Bad bad plot (reminds me of captain planet, sigh .. if only cloud had green hair). hmm. I think the lead designers had a thing for crossdressers. If I recall, Cloud dresses up like a woman! And sephy looks female. Jenova? Looked more like a battleship than Sephy's mom. The last phase of Jenova just made me laugh again. How am i supposed to take a big sphere seriously? OH NO! IT'S THE KILLER SPHERE OF DESTRUCTION!
plzzz...... and the meteor? boring. I don't care about the people on that planet, let's just fly off in our ship thingy and leave em to die.
I'm sorry Chill, but what is "maayne" ? I liked CTHD's ending, and if "maayne" is a compliment, then I agree with you.
Well anyone who's been able to follow a word of what I said deserves an award of some sort. Forgive me for the rambling....

------------------
" Evil cannot die.."

Part of one of chill_rx's sigs:
Setting the record for the most replies/profile updates in a single
day...the Chill!

Whats your record for updates, and your record for replies? I may have beaten at least one of them, but I gotta be sure.

------------------
Go to (url="http://"http://www.magewar.com")Archmage(/url), a completely internet based strategy game. There you can play with or agenst literally thousands of other players.
Go to the (url="http://"http://yoshi.zzux.com/phpbb")unoffical EV webboards(/url).
-9, -8, -7...am I becoming a good guy?

**ok having Aeris die was a stupid waste of time. I knew it was coming, so I didn't bother using her. I actually only tried ruby and emerald each once. It was right when they first appeared, so of course I got totalled. I got each of the colored chocobos on the first try(gold included) I only used a walkthru to figure out how to get the black one, although I have since forgotten. But I bet chill, the obsessed king of FF7 could tell us exactly what grade of each gender and where u have to find them to breed a black.
FF8 was not too complexed, and I got really far(end of second to last disc I think, although it's been a while) without ever junctioning spells to my statistics. I just didn't know you could. I mean who wants to play a game that u have no control over, it's just like telling a story, is hopelessly boring, has many features you don't need to or shouldn't use if you have a grain of intelligence, poor graphics, lame plot, ok NO PLOT WHATSOEVER? Oh wait! I missed something! I think a game that includes minigames is down right sad. I didn't pay money for that piece of garbage chocobo game. I don't want to play cards, I want to roleplay damnit. Did they just package all of that other crap with it to make it look a little better? Both of those games were horrendous. (FF8 and 7).

No one's lives were shattered in CTHD. We don't even know if shao lon died(Jen). And Li Mu Bai, well it was a drama after all. I think that just enough tragedies happened to make the game beautiful. FF7, I mean wow. Aeris getting run through. I actually laughed. I was like "ok, where's the blood? and why does sephiroth look like a woman?" it's hard to take a cross dressing enemy seriously. The first time I saw him I was like "Ok why is that woman revealing her chest on public television?" and then I realized it was a man. Oops. Sorry old sephy.
I think that aeris's death was poorly done. I mean some mean guy floating out of the clouds, killing your girlfriend, and then disappearing before you have a chance to swear at him just doesn't seem right. Bad bad plot (reminds me of captain planet, sigh .. if only cloud had green hair). hmm. I think the lead designers had a thing for crossdressers. If I recall, Cloud dresses up like a woman! And sephy looks female. Jenova? Looked more like a battleship than Sephy's mom. The last phase of Jenova just made me laugh again. How am i supposed to take a big sphere seriously? OH NO! IT'S THE KILLER SPHERE OF DESTRUCTION!
plzzz...... and the meteor? boring. I don't care about the people on that planet, let's just fly off in our ship thingy and leave em to die.
I'm sorry Chill, but what is "maayne" ? I liked CTHD's ending, and if "maayne" is a compliment, then I agree with you.
Well anyone who's been able to follow a word of what I said deserves an award of some sort. Forgive me for the rambling....

Blah blah blah blah yacketty smack
(/B)

::materializes::
I followed you right to the edge of the cliff, a whole page of blaah blah blah bl-blaaaah.
::accepts the award::
Whatever man, you can figure out already that I no longer care about this line of debate especially since I played FF7 back in 97 when it first came out, all i can tell you is that you get the carob nut from the goblins, defeat the grand dragon to obtain the other nut breed a green with a blue, then the black with the a class female and bam a gold choccobo...or some other shi--not that it matters but I slaughtered every weapon on my first go, and according to the way I played 7 I hated Aeris...
Admit it you couldn't understand Junctioning, could you?? come on admit it.
Second o the last disc...hmmm...4-2 = 2, you never made it past disc 2, hah (excludes auxillory insult)
CTHD: She jumped off a cliff , and didnot attempt to fly....she died
and no "maayne"is not a compliment, the movie was a waste of money and should have never maid it over seas .
And before you say anything about the graphics in any high quality commercial game,let's see what your game looks like.
you'd die a bitter man before you ever even came close to replicating anything close to FinalFantasy 7-8-9.

Discussion Over...
... SO SAYS THE CHILL !
::dissapates::

------------------
Master of the Pseudo Technique, prophet of FinalFantasy, selfproclaimed dictator of Chicago...
TheChill

in response to chill, although he has no interest in this anymore

Here I have an idea. I'll admit that I could not figure out how to junction a GF to Quistis in the first 7 minutes of GamePlay. I'll admit that. What I do have to say is that your opinion on the subject of CTHD is unique. Many people liked it, most people who saw it liked it(a vast vast vast majority). But then again, you did like FF7.
But the point of this response is to say that what you posted did not insult or anger me in any way. In fact it made me laugh. "I'm better at a video game than you" OOOH! Good one.
Frankly I don't care how great you were at FF7. In fact skill at any video game could actually be called a negative, since it's bad for your eyes, wrists, mind, all sorts of things. Chill are you so bitter because you have no friends? Try and be a bit more positive, maybe one or two of us will like you for more than your hilariously childish entrances. I think I'll have to adopt one. :::a tear in the fabric of space-time(they're the same thing) appears, and a sudden feeling of awe and terror encompasses the web board as LORENOTH, THE MIGHTY MAGE, steps through::: no comments please.
what does eldritch mean?
(edited for the following part)
ok chill, if you really wanted to respond, I probably won't be reading the response for another 2 weeks(vacation) so feel free to send the response to my email address wingedproclaiming@yahoo.com and I'll read it when I get back instead of having to look it up on the web board. Thanks.
------------------
" Evil cannot die.."

(This message has been edited by Lorenoth (edited 06-24-2001).)

Second to the last disc...hmmm...4-2 = 2, you never made it past disc 2, hah (excludes auxillory insult)**

Four discs? My copy of FF8 has five actually. And by your count anyway, coming to the end of the second to last disc means he only had one to go, and was therefore (by mathematics anyway) 3/4 done.

you'd die a bitter man before you ever even came close to replicating anything close to FinalFantasy 7-8-9.**

I must (partially) agree with you here. FF8 and FF7 are two of my all time favourite games. On PSX anyway. Maybe they have no 'real' story, but I wasted enough of my time on them to think of them fondly now. Although, the laws of probability may be against Lorenoth ever coming close, there is still the possibilty.

Mind you though, comparing the resources and technical ability of Square and of an individual makes the chance look pretty small.

For the record, i liked CTHD. A lot.

I don't know why I encourage things like this.......

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

(QUOTE)Originally posted by MindSpace_TC:
(B)If anyone wants some info on the game or the graphics I'll be posting more up in the Games section of my website. (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/mindspace")Mind Space Software(/url)

Are you allowed to put the game from a Macaddict tutorial on your website?

------------------
The greatest author: Douglas Adams 1952-2001