Creative Items/Weapons?

<The mouse sets up a topic.>
Does anyone have any creative and/or interesting items for thier game(s) that they'd like to share?
Heres mine:
| Drake - A powerful, magical blade forged from the head of a powerful dragon. Golden snakes bind the blade to the hilt, and cause the blade to poison all who fall victom to its edge. Thus legendary weapon does a massive amount of extra damage to dragons.
| Hex - This cursed sword is unlike other cursed objects in one very important fasion. Because only the blade of the weapon was cursed, only those struck with the sword are affected by the curse, thus making this weapon a powerful one.
| Spiral Cane - This strange cane has an even stranger history and one of the strangest abilities. This item was once used to support the god Zeus in his old age, as well as to help him defend himself from those mortals who searched out weapons to destroy the corrupt gods. It casts a web of light that caused the target to be extremely sensative to light. These people banded together in caves and created a separate society, far from the gods that they wished to destroy. In open daylight, this will effectively blind whoever it's energy hits.
| Jagged Edge - The rare Jagged Edge swords were crafted by the little known demi-god, Wetwilly. The blades have been imbued with Wetwilly's life-force, causing them to be able to deal a small amount of damage to gods, and allowing them to do a great deal more damage than thier design would normally permit. The Jagged Edge swords may look fragile, but they are not. In fact, it is nearly impossible to even bend tham by normal means.
How are those? Gotta go!
<The mouse leaves.>

------------------
Guilt, fear, and mass insanity...three cheers for forge!!!
If you don't care where you are, then you aren't lost.
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell and make you happy to be on your way.

{A mouse enters.}
Anyone? If you have any interesting items, please post them.
Heres some more:

Argichoke - This semi-toxic herb was once used simply as a weak poison, but some people who survived its affects started using it in smaller quantities as a drug. It has a similar effect to smoking marijuana when you burn it, and has a distinct smell of burning hair.
Vorpal Claw - The Vorpal Claw was designed to turn the energy used in golems into a physical manifestation of the golem's personality. It is attached to the palm of a golem, and taps a small amount of the golem's energy in order to make a psionic blade capable of cutting through mithral with relative ease. The only real down side to this weapon is that it can only be used by golems.
Spinstick - Spinsticks are basically 2 foot poles with rombus shaped blades at either end of the pole. Often these weapons are imbued with magical fighting skill, allowing the user to be more knowledged of the weapon while wielding it. The most powerful spinstick was imbued with the fighting skills of Martin, the hero of the peoples of the Kerian Province. This specific spinstick posessed its user and sent him/her/it into a rampage in which he/she/it would kill anything that moved more than just breathing.
Gutt - A simple, two-bladed daggar with razor-sharp edges. Used most often in sacrifices and evil rituals.
Hexblade - With a striking resembleance to Hex in both shape and ability, Hexblade is merely a daggar form of Hex. Besides the disadvantage of a shorter range, Hexblade's curse is also weaker, so anyone affected will not be as devastatingly affected.

Those good?
{The mouse leaves.}

------------------
Guilt, fear, and mass insanity...three cheers for forge!!!
If you don't care where you are, then you aren't lost.
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell and make you happy to be on your way.

Heya!
Great Idea for a topic, I have to say.
Since I want my game to be more reliant on the intelligence of the player, I don't plan on having heaps of chunky weapons. Also, since it will be semi-real 'magical' weapons of any sort will be a rare and treasured thing. That said, I do plan to have lots of interesting equipment, and one off type use things, so that the player will have to think, 'do I want to use that now?'

Monsters: Of the few monsters that will be in my game, most of them will have some perminant gain to you if you defeat them. I'm sure everyone has heard the story of Heracles slaying the Nemean lion, and using it's skin as armour. I'm going to have stuff like that in my game, but lots of tings will only work vs certain type of weapons, as long as that is possible. Stuff like really really (I mean really) tough hide being good against pointy type weapons, which can't peirce it, but not nearly as effective against blunt weapons, for which the force just travels through.

Rumours: Anything thing i'm going to bring into my game is lying rumours. Old and fabled weapons will not always live up to their reputation, though at other times a weapons true power will not have reached the rumours, so it will be extra powerful. I don't want to give any concrete examples, that would ruin it. 😛

Dagger of Philanthros: This rather average dagger has no special properties in it's self, it's a normal dagger. It was owned however, by a man by the name of, yep, Philanthros. Now this Philantropos fancied himself as the protector of the village of Kithudene, and went around being very nice to all the citizens, and generally lifting everryone's spirits. Word of his good nature spread to the surrounding villages, and he became quite well liked in the region. He even got a special ornate dagger made for himself, and it became somewhat of a symbol in the region. One day, though, he was actually called to guard the village, as a mad lion was attacking messengers and people who attempted to wander far from the city. The lion made short work of the rather useless fighter, and his dagger was thought to be lost. If anyone was to find the dagger, he or she would be very well liked by those in the region around Kithudene.
Basically, the dagger will increase the karma, or some other stat which I will define, like reputation or something, for the PC/party in this region.

Siren's Feather: Though the Sirens all plumented to their death on the rocks when Odysseus managed to resist their claims to have all the knowledge of the affairs of men, it is said that a few feather remained on the rocks upon which they killed so many sailors with their promise of hidden knowledge, the same rocks on which they died. While the exact powers of these feathers are unknown, they must surely possesive some kind of power.

Sword of Aias: The sword of the legendary hero of Troy, Aias, (Also known as Ajax in modern stories) is said to be a great and powerful weapon, striking down opponents with the startling brute force of the second greatest Hellenic warrior ever. This is also the same weapon that the hero fell upon, taking his own life after a disgracing bout of insanity caused by being tricked out of the armour of the greatest warrior of the Hellenes, Akhilleus. So, while truely a powerful weapon, would one dare use a blade so soaked in the blood of tragedy and disgrace?

I have to stop now, I could go on, but I don't want to spoil it all. As you can probably see, alot of the powerful items and weapons in my game will be shrouded in mystery, and will be, pun intended, a double edge blade, possesing both good things, and bad things.

------------------
"For Example: Sunny days make me happy, rainy days make me sad." "But you can have fun on a rainy day too." "Your truth can be changed simply by how you accept it." "That is how fragile truth is for a human being."

Yeah the info on this item is bound to change, but here goes.....

Wand of Changing Faces: This wand is subject to change, it changes size to match the length of its user's forearm(or elbow to wrist). It is usually a straight piece of wood adorned with golden leaves and vines, although if the user is particularily evil the wand shifts to become a dark, curved piece of bone decorated with red birds or reptiles. The wand's appearance largely changes with each user, but among twins, or close friends, the wand will stay the same between them. The Wand of Changing Faces grants the user a bonus to mana(spell points.. it will improve spell casting in some way), a bit of minor fire resistance, and also allows the user to shift appearance with unlimited uses.

------------------
"Time is unimportant.. to one such as I.."

Ah, what the heck.
From The Unreal Time:
The Bomberang(don't let the name fool you, it definately doesn't come back)
A bomb with four curved blades on the sides, one with a handle. You hold the handle, throw the bomb, and it accurately spins forward. Good for sticking to walls, or when the situation calls, enemies.

------------------
"How do you know that she's a witch?""She turned me into a newt!" "A newt?" "...I got better!"~Monty Python and the Holy Grail
~Nick

Here's mine,

Magic Ninja Star: A ninja star that has been cleverly hexed by a aprentice wizard. It will always come back to you and can sometimes be relied on to cast a spell. Useful weapon, dumb wand. 🙂

------------------
Once The MadCat roamed
Now Metzen rules
One MadCat all alone

Mjřlner: The Norwegian name on the Viking god Tor´s hammer.
A heavy throwing hammer that always hits its victim and returns to owner´s hand after being thrown.
Can also cast lightning spells.

Kris of the Cobra clan: A magically enchanted Kris made by Cobra priests.
An assassin´s best friend.
Increases a character´s backstab ability and inflicts the victim with a medium poison.

------------------
"I didn´t expect some kind of Spanish inquisition."
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!."

(This message has been edited by Knight of NI (edited 03-31-2001).)

Originally posted by jmitchel:

I like making up histories for my weapons...

Me, too. When I posted my items, I was making up the item's history as I typed it. Nothing like impromptu.

------------------
Mouse's law: If you try to make a topic to spam in, you lose karma.

well, I may never actually make my game, but that won't stop me from designing it. weapons/equipment aren't really a big part of my game. spell systems and knowledge play a much larger role. you can complete the game without gathering hardly any equipment: they're just goodies along the way. this is one of my favorites -- and I like making up histories for my weapons (if I ever get around to it, I'll post a pic):

"Dark" is the name given to this most ludicrous invention, as it matches well to the feeling inspired by the weapon itself. Weighing in at almost 100 lbs, this blackened high-carbon steel sword has been folded hundreds if not thousands of times under the blows of master smiths toiling at the forges under the Halik School for Magi. Using directed Incineration blasts, Magi are able to heat the furnaces of their forges to temperatures otherwise unreachable in habitable lands.
Mainly created as an experiment in steelworking, Dark was never really intended for use in battle. The reason is obvious, given the dimentions of this sword. The blade is a single-edged straight piece of steel with a wraught iron shaft inserted at the vertex of the folds in the blade to form a handle, which is then covered in layer upon layer of soft leather. Because of the weight and length of the blade, it cannot be swung by any normal swordsman/woman. It is simply too heavy. The only warriors able to wield this sword are natural mages of the highest order. Only they have the ability to fortify their lungs and muscles against the taxes a sword of Dark's calibur exact upon them.
Actually, to call Dark a sword is somewhat missleading. Because of it's size and design, Dark cannot slash or stab. It is more of an edged morning star or quarterstaff. The theory of combat behind a weapon like Dark is to first block your opponent, then overpower them with sheer mass, and finaly to simply smash through them with that same power. Dark does not cut: it merely rends objects in two. To accomodate this, a second grip was added halfway up along the blade so that a person could use it in a more versatile fashion.
(this is the final "big" weapon available to your character)

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

hell yeah. It doesn't matter how you get the idea, just so long as you do (and you don't copy someone else...)

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Dimensional Blade (yes, I stole the name from DiabloII): Most of the blade of this sword is in the Ethereal Plane, only a one molecule thick piece of it is actually solid. This gives the effect of a one molecule thick blade (really, really sharp), without the problem of it breaking. Also, it can hit Ethereal creatures (Ghosts and such). The edge of the blade glows blue where it's cutting air molecules in half 🙂

Mage Blade: The magical equivalent of a lightsaber. It looks like a handle with a gem in the end, if activated by a mage a blade made of magical energy comes out of the handle. (There would also be a spell that would create a Mage Blade. Can Coldstone have a spell that temporarily creates an object?)

Dueling Staff: A magical staff used for duels between wizards, or for practice (basically depends on the power level, practice staves just sting). When activated the staff creats a 1.5 ft wide hemispherical shield at the top of the staff. The staff can shoot bolts of power at will, the shield is designed to reflect this type of bolt. A really good pair of duellers can reflect a bolt back and forth for several minutes before one of them misses it.

(This message has been edited by Catfish_Man (edited 04-02-2001).)

origonally posted by Catfish_Man:
...Can Coldstone have a spell that temporarily creates an object?

I'm pretty sure that you can link a spell to an event/code/thingy to have it give you an item, start a timer, and have the item taken away at the end of the timer. It would be fairly simple to do if it has timers(which it will almost definitally have). Of course, I don't do any beta testing, so these are just highly educated guesses.

------------------
Mouse's law: If you try to make a topic to spam in, you lose karma.

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
**Mage Blade: The magical equivalent of a lightsaber. It looks like a handle with a gem in the end, if activated by a mage a blade made of magical energy comes out of the handle. (There would also be a spell that would create a Mage Blade. Can Coldstone have a spell that temporarily creates an object?)

do you mean: have a spell that creates a mage blade as a graphic on screen (ie: the flaming cudgel spell in BG -- press the spell button, you are equiped with sword shaped out of fire for a limited time without gaining any weight/items) if this is the case, then I'd assume so, as you can most likely link some sort of graphic change to a spell event and then just have the spell adjust your damage/lightsaberieness/whatever. if you just mean an item though, Mouse covered it pretty well.

------------------
-Jedi

Originally posted by Mouse:
**< The mouse sets up a topic.>
Does anyone have any creative and/or interesting items for thier game(s) that they'd like to share?
Heres mine:
| Drake - A powerful, magical blade forged from the head of a powerful dragon. Golden snakes bind the blade to the hilt, and cause the blade to poison all who fall victom to its edge. Thus legendary weapon does a massive amount of extra damage to dragons.
| Hex - This cursed sword is unlike other cursed objects in one very important fasion. Because only the blade of the weapon was cursed, only those struck with the sword are affected by the curse, thus making this weapon a powerful one.
| Spiral Cane - This strange cane has an even stranger history and one of the strangest abilities. This item was once used to support the god Zeus in his old age, as well as to help him defend himself from those mortals who searched out weapons to destroy the corrupt gods. It casts a web of light that caused the target to be extremely sensative to light. These people banded together in caves and created a separate society, far from the gods that they wished to destroy. In open daylight, this will effectively blind whoever it's energy hits.
| Jagged Edge - The rare Jagged Edge swords were crafted by the little known demi-god, Wetwilly. The blades have been imbued with Wetwilly's life-force, causing them to be able to deal a small amount of damage to gods, and allowing them to do a great deal more damage than thier design would normally permit. The Jagged Edge swords may look fragile, but they are not. In fact, it is nearly impossible to even bend tham by normal means.
How are those? Gotta go!
<The mouse leaves.>

I've only got one weapon in mind so far, but I think it's pretty damn cool. I don't know if any of you are familliar with Wolfe's series, "Book of the New Sun", but the main character had a really nice sword named Terminus Est. It was a special executioners blade. It had no point, it squared off on the bottom. It was double edged, with a man-edge and a woman-edge, each was used, obviously, for cutting off the head of each sex. Inside the blade was a channel which had a liquid called "hydrargyrum", essentially mercury. This made it hard to ready the sword, but once in was brought down, the liquid flowed to the tip, giving it damned good inertia. The actual in game stats of the weapon might be a little tricky to implement, but I'll get something together.

------------------
"Angels banished from Heaven have no choice but to become Demons."
-Vicious

Hand of Rothe- this is the mummified hand of the archwizard, Rothe. The ancient hand radiates a sense of mourning, and sadness, as if the archwizard's life was somehow incomplete. Regardless, the hand is worn around the neck on a chain(no, it's not strangling you), and grants the wearer the ability to cast one of the spells that Rothe discovered(Rothe's Chasm of Fire, Rothe's Blinding Sphere, etc) once a day. It also triples your cold and lightning resistance, as well as doubling your MP. This is an incredibly powerful artifact, and was kept in a Golem-guarded "tomb" for many years to protect it from greedy magi. Recently, it has disappeared.

Sword of Ten- this sword belonged to the legendary hero, Ten Ama'dea. He was a skilled adventurer for many years, but settled down to found the city of Tenova, which is now the second largest city in the world. The Sword of Ten appears to be a normal broadsword, but on close inspection it shines with a pale green light, and small figures appear to dance and shift along the blade. The Sword deals a lot of poison and cold damage, and is valued among adventurers far and wide. Needless to say, its current location is unknown.

------------------
"Silence, Dog! Your only purpose is to die by my hand."

See topic: "(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum48&topic;=000413")Spells(/url)" for spells related to some people's items.
| Fire Band - A band made of gold, brass, and copper fragments, with a jewel held in the center. Worn not around the wrist, but around the hand itself, resting between the thumb and the index finger. The jewel is in the center of the palm, and for good reason. When activated, a fireball emerges from the jewel for only one mana, rather than the usual four that it takes to create one from scratch. There are only eight firebands known in existance, as far as we know, but there is likely at least two more. -see fireball, by Mouse

------------------
We had a mascott at DrugCo once. He was a rat named 'Little Druggy." One day he got really high and moved to Miami. He's got a coffee shop there.
What's it called?
Ratbucks.

Here are some Robes from my game. Robes are used by Wizards, and often help the wearer in various ways.

SilkenRobe- This silver robe opens in front, showing the black silk for which it is named. This robe gives the wearer +50 fire resistance(max of 100), and +300 MP(a lot, the highest mana cost a spell can have is around 50, with the average around 10-15).

Robe of Webs- This robe is black, but covered with thin silver strands of a substance similar to a spider's web. Indeed, they form nearly the same pattern as most spider webs do. This webbing is very strong, and confers +120 MP, +30 poison resistance, and cuts the damage done to the caster by any weapon or spell in half. Blunt weapons(clubs, maces, etc) are useless on a person wearing these robes.

Elemental Robe- Strange golden runes and designs seem to flow across the sturdy cloth this robe is made of. Elemental Robes come in a variety of color, though they tend to be blue or red. There are 12 Elemental Robes in existence. These Robes add +100 MP, and +100 to all resistances.

The Robe of Sylfanoth- This robe is made of a thin, grey material, and is dotted here and there with stains of blood. This robe is an evil creation indeed, as it once belonged to the High Vampyre, Sylfanoth. Its benefits include immunity to missile weapons, +100 to life, and +200 to MP. A piece of Sylfanoth himself seems to imbued in the Robe, as it adds +30 lightning resistance, the trademark power of Sylfanoth.

The Robe of Arkanox- A lustrous blue silk is the main fabric of this Robe. The Robe glows at the will of the wearer, truly a magnificent sight. This Robe once belonged to Arkanox(known as Rothe to the Elves), the ArchWizard, and thus is very powerful. The Robe of Arkanox adds +1000 to mana, +100 to life, and +10 to all resistances. It is truly the most powerful Robe of all. It goes without saying that such a rare and powerful item is of course lost, its whereabouts are unknown.

------------------
"Silence, Dog! Your only purpose is to die by my hand."

| Sythe of Planes - This weapon hits any creature in any plane, and instanly brings them to the real plane(three planes:real, etereal, spirit). This weapon also does a bit extra damage to those in the real plane, just before it brings the victim to the real plane. If a creature was indeed brought out of its normal plane, it will return there after 30 seconds from the last time it was hit with the sythe. Is the sythe is weilded by someone outside of the real plane, they will be brought to it, and will be unable to return until the weapon is unwielded. While wielded by someone from the real plane, they cannot be sent to another plane for more than a second before they are returned.

------------------
"When a bomb starts talking about itself in the third person, I get worried." --Tom Paris
Go to the unofficial EV webboard site! Just click (url="http://"http://www.macmonthly.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi")here(/url) to go.
And check out my ongoing chronicle in that webboard, (url="http://"http://www.macmonthly.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f;=4&t;=000002")Devil's Crossing(/url).

Majanix's Dagger: a small dagger that doubles your maximum amount of MP. A very powerful item, this dagger is highly sought after by magi. As with most items of a powerful origin, Majanix's Dagger's whereabouts are currently unknown.

GunBow- a common but expensive item, GunBows are simply crossbows that are strapped to one arm, and can be fired with a flick of the wrist. GunBows are handy, because they can be worn in conjunction with shields.

Long GunBow- a less common item, Long GunBows are simple rifles connected to the center of a Long Bow(kinda hard to explain). This item takes 2 hands to use successfully, but deals much more damage than the common GunBow.

AntiShield- this is a very thin blade. An AntiShield can get by any armor or shield with ease, and moves very fast. An AntiShield can usually get 3 or 4 attacks off before the enemy even has a chance to strike.

------------------
"I felt you.. dying"
"I'm dying..?"
"I won't let you die..."

Heres mine straight out of the discworld series:

Kring - legendary magical sword, fights for you, you don't have to do anything it has been used by some of the best warriors of all time and so is very skillful at swordfighting you just stand there and it uses your arm to move it around. It does have a bad side though it is a talking sword and is bloody annoying critical and pessimistic.

------------------