My Discworld Idea

You must all respect that my discworld idea rules, because a discworld RPG would just be so enjoyable to anyone who has embraced the sheer humour of discworld, there would be an endless ream of brilliant mission strings and there would be the best buying items like you could buy one of those boxes on legs and it would follow you round and if it feels like occaisionally eating your enemies then let it. Also the character castes that could be taken from discworld would be great the barbarian, the alchemist, the witch, wizard, tribe of little blue nomes, vampire, thief (with or without license), rincewind...

Also some people seem to think that such a creation would be shunned by publishers, well it just wouldn't be commercial (officially anyway)

Think again, Discworld CS could be great.

------------------

Originally posted by Paddy Perring:
**You must all respect that my discworld idea rules, because a discworld RPG would just be so enjoyable to anyone who has embraced the sheer humour of discworld, there would be an endless ream of brilliant mission strings and there would be the best buying items like you could buy one of those boxes on legs and it would follow you round and if it feels like occaisionally eating your enemies then let it. Also the character castes that could be taken from discworld would be great the barbarian, the alchemist, the witch, wizard, tribe of little blue nomes, vampire, thief (with or without license), rincewind...

Also some people seem to think that such a creation would be shunned by publishers, well it just wouldn't be commercial (officially anyway)

Think again, Discworld CS could be great.

Keywords, anyone who has embraced the sheer humor of the series. I, like many here (ok, maybe I'm the only one), have never even heard of Discworld. Although your idea does sound interesting. The key factor is in execution. And all ideas should be respected, no matter what the cause. But don't think that you can sell (in the philisophical sense) a game based solely on an idea. That said, I wish you the best of luck in your venture, and look forward to seeing great things.

Saphfire

------------------

what's discworld?

saphfire, you're not alone.

------------------
"I felt you.. dying"
"I'm dying..?"
"I won't let you die..."

Originally posted by Lorenoth:
**what's discworld?

saphfire, you're not alone.

Heh, it's nice to know I'm not the only one in the dark.

Saphfire

------------------

OK for all of you who don't know discworld, discworld is a series of Fantasy/humour books based around a disc shaped planet (yes the water does flow off the EDGE) that is held up by four giant elephants which in turn ride on the back of a giant turtle (10000 miles long), now this may sound stupid but you must bear in mind the fact that this is a humour series, anyhoo this planet is sort of like opposite to Earth 'cos on earth everything is ruled by maths, science, laws of physics etc whereas the discworld is like completely wild and mad there are eight colours they have our seven as well as an eigth, Octarine, the colour of magic created by light diffracted by a high Octane (magic) field. In fact in discworld magic is actually a form of energy just like light energy or electrical energy except that it has a tendency to break the rules, e.g suppose you walked into an area with a extremely high energy magic field theres nothing stopping you from turning into a small purple mouse (It happens more often than you might think). Set into the middle of the discworld s the sprawling city of Ankh Morpork where you can find the Unseen University of Wizards, Ankh Morpork has a multi species society where a dwarf might chat about the news to a human or whatever (If he isnt quaffing that is) and brutal gang wars between trolls (they have names like Detritus) with bricks in socks battle dwarves and their double headed axes (they have names like Glorff Stronginthearm and will do anything for gold) happen every friday night in Morpork the seediest and most bloody dangerous part of Ankh Morpork. Anyway point is if you havn't yet checked out the discworld novels you should and then you will appreciate my ideas.

------------------

DISCWORLD RULES !!!!! (Look at my signature...)

------------------
"- No ! Not the wooden box that eats everything ! Noooo !
- Here ! Luggage ! " - Terry Pratchet's Discworld

**Anyway point is if you havn't yet checked out the discworld novels you should and then you will appreciate my ideas.

I find it hard to appreciate game-plagiarizm.

------------------
"I felt you.. dying"
"I'm dying..?"
"I won't let you die..."

HAHAH yes I must admit I find game plagerizm (is that how ya spell it?) a bad thing

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

My RPG is going to be based on many things..funny, humerous things that in-turn make my RPG just a plain old fun thing like how it should be

Paddy, I say go for it..but to make things funny (and to avoid copy right abuse) change the characters around i.e The witch would look like the barbarin..the Blue Gnomes would have Rincwinds face Etc

just a mere suggestion

------------------
Yes my frige is running..why?, oh OH MY GOD ITS ESCAPED AGAIN!

Just want to know one thing; what is this discworld thing everyone keeps talking about? I've heard of it, but I have no idea what it is or what it is about.
Someone tell me so I can be in on conversations like this one.

------------------
Pokemon is awsome! Anyone why says otherwise is too old.
Go to the unofficial EV webboard site! Just click (url="http://"http://yoshi.zzux.com/phpbb/")here(/url) to go.
Sataned Ham! Also known more commonly as spam(the meat, not useless posts). Buy some today!

Look up, it's explained in this post.

Saphfire

------------------

Originally posted by saphfire:
**Look up, it's explained in this post.

Saphfire

I see it. Thanks.
One thing about the idea: what happens when all the water flows off the edge? Will the planet just dry up and die?
Or will a worm-hole like thing cause the water to fall back onto the planet from above?

------------------
Pokemon is awsome! Anyone why says otherwise is too old.
Go to the unofficial EV webboard site! Just click (url="http://"http://yoshi.zzux.com/phpbb/")here(/url) to go.
Sataned Ham! Also known more commonly as spam(the meat, not useless posts). Buy some today!

(quote)Originally posted by Mouse:

(/b)(/quote)I see it. Thanks.
One thing about the idea: what happens when all the water flows off the edge? Will the planet just dry up and die?
Or will a worm-hole like thing cause the water to fall back onto the planet from above?

(/B)(/QUOTE)

just what I was wondering.. of course this is straying off topic

You should only have Rincewind if you can get Eric Idle to do the voice again, hehe, he really fit the part from the other two games.

DaleKaleD wrote

You should only have Rincewind if you can get Eric Idle to do the voice again, hehe, he really fit the part from the other two games.

Yes well, I have some ideas myself but changing the subject I only one discworld game it was some platform game, what is the other?

Pad(;

By the way you should register, it is very quick and easy and is free, then you can post your own topics

------------------

I did register, Terminsel is my other name.. as with the other guy, well I don't know

------------------
"What--"
"Don't worry. You're not going to die"

Firstly, A discworld RPG cannot be game plagiarizm because no one has done it before, it would merely a new way to enjoy discworld and the characters and all, I'm sure that any discworld fan would enjoy a discworld rpg game (maybe Dark Madman and DaleKaleD can back me up here) simply because it is a chance to explore the disc.

Secondly I am not only going to make this RPG, the discworld one is just a personal project, my main rpg that I am going to make with a few mates is completely origional.

Thirdly I have read posts by most of the people who have replied to this one and your ideas don't exactly sound first hand to me (having elves for example isn't origional)

------------------

Don't get so defensive about it. It's your choice, don't let anyone sway you.

First of all, it's still illegal to use someone else's published ideas without the author's permission. End of story. Though you probably won't get into any trouble if you don't distribute it.

Next, to each his own. Don't worry about others using elves. Certain points have become staple for RPGs. Although I'm not using elves, I would if I was creating a classic game.

Saphfire

------------------

Thirdly I have read posts by most of the people who have replied to this one and your ideas don't exactly sound first hand to me (having elves for example isn't origional)

Aaaaaaah, but Elves aren't copyrighted! As far as I know anyway....
Are humans copyrighted? If we create an entirely original game then the main character will probably be a plant or something, oh wait! plants are included in the real world! plants are in books occasionally(setting)! it's no longer original.
What I'm saying is that basing a game on something like a book is just unoriginal, because we can trace everything in the game to the book, but with elves, when did they first appear? I'm not using a precreated world, I'm not using precreated things.
I've made up nearly all of my weapons, armor, shields, etc. The only times I haven't is for lack of a better word for "Long Sword". I mean I took the average one handed sword and called it the Tai' To Dei, which is taken from the language spoken in the Eastlands, commonly called Au Doran, or Sea of Grey. Elves aren't called elves in my game! They just have the pointed ears and lack of facial hair, they're not even blonde most of the time. If you don't have some glimpse of reality in your game the player cannot relate to it, and probably won't enjoy it.
But I grow tired of this pointless argument. Truth be told, I'm just using you to enhance my typing speed 😄

------------------
Evil is as evil does.
I'm not evil, I'm just corrupt.

by Lorenoth
Truth be told, I'm just using you to enhance my typing speed.

You would, too ;D .

------------------
Pokemon is awsome! Anyone why says otherwise is too old to get it.
Go to the unofficial EV webboard site! Just click (url="http://"http://yoshi.zzux.com/phpbb/")here(/url) to go. That's where the Arorian Outlook is.
Go to my ezboard, (url="http://"http://pub101.ezboard.com/bmousesboards")Mouse's Boards(/url)!