Character Size

can we make the characters in our game appear fairly small than the PoG ones on the screen, so we can make bigger areas viewed at one time, fit in more action, etc...?

------------------
"Ethos..Lusec..Wecos..Venosec"

You have full control over sprite (character) size.

Saphfire

------------------

You can make your game sprites any size you want, with a few caveats:

larger sprites take more memory. If your sprites are 64x64 pixels at 24-bit, and you have ten frames of animation per character per direction per action, that can add up in the memory department really quickly.

larger sprites also fill the screen more quickly. If you're the player, would you rather see the artist showing off their huge characters, or more of the playing field for a tactical advantage? (it's tough to make this call, as an artist, but playing PoG has made me realize that smaller sprites are better...) Making the screen resolution larger can only work so far... original iMacs and iBooks can max out their screen resolution at 800x600 or so. Anyone who's ever designed webpages on their 20" monitor and then gone to look at them on their friend's iMac knows how small those desktops are in comparason. You have the same problem here. ๐Ÿ™‚

oh, I see you were asking if you could make them smaller, not larger. ๐Ÿ˜„ yes.

------------------
People who claim the sky is falling obviously aren't aware the earth is falling, too.

thanks for the help... so if I made the character size teensy weensy then I could fit a lot of flashy effects and take up less memory.. ok

------------------
"Ethos..Lusec..Wecos..Venosec"

Originally posted by Lorenoth:
**thanks for the help... so if I made the character size teensy weensy then I could fit a lot of flashy effects and take up less memory.. ok

:๐Ÿ˜€:
Yes that would be GRAND
Flash
Maybe you could add a lot of detail
Flash
no, I'm just messin' with you there (b)Lore'(b) , But this has answered a question of mine thanks , hey does anyone know , carte to guess how many characters / high res effects we could have within one section of screen without hanging CGE . Also Are characters /NPC's always in memory even when they aren't in sight or are they stored and rendered when you approach the vecinity of map upon which the reside ???
(Answer That, I dare you...Stumped? it's okay it doesn't make you any less of a(n) "insert insulting noun here")

------------------
"Eckรณ..Lucite..Waco..Venustat" ::Transforms into a cackling Yetti::

(This message has been edited by chill_rx (edited 05-17-2001).)

(/b)(/QUOTE)
...Also Are characters /NPC's always in memory even when they aren't in sight or are they stored and rendered when you approach the vecinity of map upon which the reside ???
(Answer That, I dare you...Stumped? it's okay it doesn't make you any less of a(n) "insert insulting noun here")
(/B)(/QUOTE)

I would assume that all data and graphics for a particular map are loaded when that map is loaded. To do otherwise would be either silly or a waste of RAM.

------------------
We shall accept payment in a large briefcase. American dollar good for this purpose. LARGE briefcase, remember. -- forge

(/b)(/QUOTE)
:๐Ÿ˜€:
Yes that would be GRAND
Flash
Maybe you could add a lot of detail
Flash
no, I'm just messin' with you there **Lore'(b) , But this has answered a question of mine thanks , hey does anyone know , carte to guess how many characters / high res effects we could have within one section of screen without hanging CGE . Also Are characters /NPC's always in memory even when they aren't in sight or are they stored and rendered when you approach the vecinity of map upon which the reside ???

**(/QUOTE)

you know you love the flashes!

------------------
"...Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost

Originally posted by Lorenoth:

you know you love the flashes!

Not unless you're a woman mmmmmmm....nipply...And As I recall FF& had a lot of flashing , and I thought you hated FF...tsk tsk
besides its a poor plot device

------------------
"1,2,3,4...Even with a D*** in ya ear you still couldn't F*** with my sound" ~Xzibit

Originally posted by chill_rx:
**Not unless you're a woman mmmmmmm....nipply...And As I recall FF & had a lot of flashing , and I thought you hated FF...tsk tsk
besides its a poor plot device

ff7 u mean? the & symbol seems to be on the 7. hmm well we do recall things don't we? and so do I. the only FLASH things i recall are when it goes white and that annoying screaming and it shows cloud's mom. were there more? I never beat the game.. I seem to recall quitting in disgust.
and it's not a poor plot device, it's called FORESHADOWING. even though I kinda spammed with the flash things, it's a lot more in control then your "ENTERS WITH A FRIGID BLAST, -30 degrees or whatever"
or some other nonsensical gibbering.

oh and let's keep our hormones in control, shall we? you really are a 12 year old aren't u?

------------------
"...Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost