My Fear of you people

I have a fear...yes and by judging on other peoples Post I would say that alot of you are going to make a BG clone or a Diablo 2 clone. Yes these are extremly good game and I enjoy both but Imagination is the key people

That is why I have posted this question........WHAT IS YOUR RPG GOING TO BE BASED ON AND WHAT IS YOUR PLAN?????

------------------
Yes my frige is running..why?, oh OH MY GOD ITS ESCAPED AGAIN!

Yes I agree, I think you should mix the classic things that everyone wants out of a game with new, innovative ideas. If you just make a say a Diablo II clone but with slightly different names etc then you are not making any thing new or contributing in any way, I mean do things for yourself but try make it something enjoyable and not just washed out RPG material. Some might say that my Discworld plan is unorigional but it isn't because although there have been 25 discworld novels, there hasn't been a discworld RPG has there? Also a discworld RPG would be different.

(:Pad

------------------

Originally posted by Paddy Perring:
**Some might say that my Discworld plan is unorigional but it isn't because although there have been 25 discworld novels, there hasn't been a discworld RPG has there? Also a discworld RPG would be different.

It's unoriginal because it's using a previously created world with it's various inhabitants, be them hilarious or not. Just placing it in a different type of product doesn't make it original, the books are still there, and however much you want to believe your idea is original, it still is someone else's universe. Talk to whoever writes these novels and ask them if you're being original.. I'm sure they'll "tell" you.

Absolutely nothing unoriginal is behind my RPG--as far as that goes. In a way everything is plagiarizm, because it's nearly impossible to come up with something totally uninfluenced by previous things.. some of us give up trying and just call it what it was that provided the influence.

My RPG revolves around the southern tip of a vast continent, inhabitted by Elves, Humans, Shasharii, Sone, and many other races and creatures. The main characters are for the most part elven, although there are 2 Sone, and a few humans or half elves. There are 4 protagonists(main characters). You only get to choose the name for one of them. You start as an Elven warrior, with little experience, and minor knowledge of the arcane arts. Eventually the game switches over to tell the tale of Jun, the master thief. From Jun it goes to Xsora, the woman with no past. And from Xsora, well I don't want to give everything away. The character you play the most is the starting Elf, and you develop a romance with another character as the story goes on. A corrupt church, chaos across the land, etc are sown into the game as time progresses. I tried to discard all of my "influenced" ideas, and this is what I got.

------------------
"What--"
"Don't worry. You're not going to die"

Everything is influenced. I don't recall the race of elves being original. Not to mention that most items come from a previous source. That includes weapons and armor. But of course you were talking about storywise. Really, it might be nice to be completely original (however unoriginal that is in the first place), but it doesn't really matter all that much to borrow ideas that are fun or ideas that work. It happens ALL the time.

Saphfire

------------------

::materializes in his usual air of nnchalant grandeur::

I'm sick and tired of these "so what are you doing" posts, I know its going to be probably another 1-2 months b4 the engine drops but people come on, there is nothing left to discuss...only questions to get half answers to. The best thing to do is to wait and see what devvelops and of course plan...and if that's not enough
then try this
(url="http://"http://www.ambrosine.com/resources.html")http://www.ambrosine.../resources.html(/url)

::dissapates::

------------------
"1,2,3,4...Even with a D*** in ya ear you still couldn't F*** with my sound" ~Xzibit

Originally posted by saphfire:
**Everything is influenced. I don't recall the race of elves being original. Not to mention that most items come from a previous source. That includes weapons and armor. But of course you were talking about storywise. Really, it might be nice to be completely original (however unoriginal that is in the first place), but it doesn't really matter all that much to borrow ideas that are fun or ideas that work. It happens ALL the time.

Saphfire

Elves have been there since the beginning, and have always been my favorite fantasy RPG race. I will not betray them now. 🙂 Well some things have been in existence for so long that they have influenced everyone. I'm working on a new name for the Elves, but so far I've had no luck. I'm changing some things about them.. and I'll leave it at that.

------------------
"What--"

Originally posted by Lorenoth:
Elves have been there since the beginning, and have always been my favorite fantasy RPG race.

Minotaurs and dwarves are the coolest races.

------------------
"Let´s not bicker and argue about who killed who.
This is supposed to be a happy occasion."

don't even get me started on the dwarves, what with their ratty beards and all....

------------------
"What--"

Originally posted by Lorenoth:
**In a way everything is plagiarizm, because it's nearly impossible to come up with something totally uninfluenced by previous things..

" pla-gia-rize vb (1716): to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own: use (a created production) without crediting the source ~ : present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source -"

as Webster teaches us, not everything is plagiarism. it's only plagiarism if you don't credit the origional source. Copyright infringement is another matter entirely.
One possible definition of copyright infringement cited by the US copyright laws is as follows:

"to produce derivative works based upon the original:"

That means, if you produce something based upon the intellectual concepts used in an origional work, you are liable. (Go to (url="http://"http://www.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ1.html")copyright.gov(/url) for more info)

However: The government will not hunt you down for infringing on a copyrighted work; that is the privilege of the copyright holder. Most authors would probably be flattered to have a fan make an RPG based on their work, and if you aren't going to make serious money off your game, you probably won't hear a peep out of any lawyers. Very, very few of us will be earning a profit from games made with Coldstone anyway. Possibly even none of us, though I hope to hear some success stories. So, I doubt legal issues will have any impact on our games.

Lay off Paddy. If he wants to make a discworld game, let him. He just won't be able to sell it. Probably half of the people on this board are going to be paying homage to their favorite authors in one way or another. Coming out and stating it doesn't neccessarily mean you're unorigional: it just means you're not plagiarizing anymore.

(edited for spelling)

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

(This message has been edited by jmitchell (edited 05-12-2001).)

😄

------------------
"What--"

A truly original thing would be something based on a lack of reality, with nothing in our known world existing in it. This is extremely difficult even to comprehend, let alone do.
The closest I would get to originality would be to create species taken from so many others that it seems to resomble none of them unless you make a very close inspection.
I will probably make a game based on a war between mice and rats, in a struggle so trivial to our lives, but so immersed that you realize why something as common as a human would be so important in everything in the known universe. Think of a race of rats living in a farmer's barn, and a race of mice living in the same farmer's mouse. The rats are strong, but mice command powerful magics and deadly special attacks. And the rats come in hordes, whereas the mice are outnumbered 3:1.
They are both fighting for dominance of the farm's grain supply, which is being raided by both, but guarded by niether. A war with only one rule: The stockpile goes to the winner of the war, and the other leaves, if any of them survive.
At the start of the game, you would choose before anything else whether you will be a mouse, a rat, or a nuetral party, such as the shrews. Then you would choose you starting stats and then you would begin actual gameplay.
The fun comes after the war is won, and the farmers move out, taking the hay with them. You have ten hours of gameplay time to get your entire race onto the truck that the farmer is moving in without being caught. Then you would have to fight a new threat; a new race in a new farm who has twice as much power as you(rats would fight 2x as many rats, mice would fight 1.5x as many mice, but thier enemies would haave 1.5x the magical power, neutrals would have to negotiate for shareing of the crops, etc.).

Wow, its 11 pm now, and I'm really tired. Gotta go!

------------------
Pokemon is awsome! Anyone why says otherwise is too old.
Go to the unofficial EV webboard site! Just click (url="http://"http://yoshi.zzux.com/phpbb/")here(/url) to go.
Sataned Ham! Also known more commonly as spam(the meat, not useless posts). Buy some today!

I just made up the previus post last night, having put no thought into it before posting it, creating as I type. Isn't that the best way to make a game? Make up an idea out of the blue, work with it, and forge it into perfection, a steel blade of a game.
But I hope my game to be of mithral rather then the more common steel ;D .
Hey, is mithral light of heavy? My brother says its about as heavy as lead, but in my experence, its about as light as aluminum, if not lighter. Which is true?

------------------
Go to the unofficial EV webboard site! Just click (url="http://"http://yoshi.zzux.com/phpbb/")here(/url) to go.
Sataned Ham! Also known more commonly as spam(the meat, not useless posts). Buy some today!

hmm... Light or heavy? I don't think mithril (or mithral, as some folks might call it) is real, so you could take your pick. But all the instances where I've seen it used have described it as being extremely light weight. Tolkien defines it as a mix of silver and steel, which wouldn' be very heavy. (He also tells the reader it's very light, but I though it would be more fun to sound like I have some idea of what I'm talking about...)

I couldn't find it in any of my reference books, so I still stand by the firm belief that it's either made-up or is an analogy for some other alloy.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Its made up, but it is supposed to be stronger then any other metal, so much so that to alloy it with the strongest other known metal would actually make it weaker.
My brother thinks its really heavy, though, while I'm pretty sure its lightweight.

------------------