Themes of your RPG

What is the main idea behind your RPG? Is it going to be based on the freedom, war, evil, you know, themes!
Personally, mine is going to be based on love. You will develop a romance with a certain NPC in the game, and that's what the whole game revolves around. I'll mix violence, war, killing, magic, evil, and starvation somewhere in there 😉

------------------
"How can everything be nothing?"

The main gimmick of my rpg right now is opposites: the endless battle between good and evil.

I'm trying to make it hard to distinguish between the two. In real life you don't always know which side is which.
🙂

------------------

Mine will be flexability. It will be an open-ended game where you just go around gaining experience and access to harder dungeons, but there will be no major goal. Like the "City of Bywater" scinario for Realmz, only much bigger.

------------------
"When a bomb starts talking about itself in the third person, I get worried." --Tom Paris
Go to the unofficial EV webboard site! Just click (url="http://"http://yoshi.zzux.com/phpbb/")here(/url) to go.

:: Seeps in through the cracks of the window sill::

I plan on doing a game with the theme of theft,
My main character is a thief but not your cake a**
"rogue D&D;" thief. Main goal is to use stealth to get what you want
and probably helping people along the way.

So really you'll be doing some detective, mystery, thievery, stealth
kind of thing (kouldelka)...

::dissapates::

------------------
"1,2,3,4...Even with a D*** in ya ear you still couldn't F*** with my sound" ~Xzibit

im interested in the idea of creating a "serial" rpg. Something that i can create in small "episodes." That way, i can be realistic about getting the individual games done, and still have an epic storyline.

Each episode may be only 5-10 hours of gameplay, but over time the characters and story will evolve.

i havnt seen this idea explored very much... Capcom is creating a serial rpg for the dreamcast ("El Dorado's Gate"), but i dont think it will make it stateside...

i guess this may be a little off topic for "theme"....

------------------
jwalton
http://www.four09.org
http://www.four09.org/jp

nice idea jwalton. I hadn't really thought about that possibility. I think a lot of us Coldstone users might benefit from that strategy...

Ah well, ripping off people's ideas can wait untill tomorrow. Honestly, I can't quite classify the theme of my game -- which just means I've got a ways to go. There's nothing worse than a game (or anything else) that hasn't decided what it wants to be... But if I had to give the feel of my game a name, it would be: reluctance. The hero is a man (sorry, no gender choice...) who has already seen war, strife, and poverty, and wants nothing more than to get away from it. The game is about the hero being dragged further and further into a whirlpool of problems that he wants nothing to do with, but that he cannot escape.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

I was planning on using ColdStone to create a Role Playing Game on the hit anime
action series Dragon Ball Z. For anyone whose interested I'll be posting more information on the MindSpace website.

(url=http://homepage.mac.com/mindspace)

uh oh...we're supposed to be thinking of a theme? guess I'd better get my crap together then

------------------
A self important human once said "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" but in the case of the (rocket launcher) you have one majorly explosive cigar!

I've always been a fan of the "one man against the system" theme. Also, I plan on making mine an adult game. I've never understood the whole sex taboo thing in video games. We have detailed graphics for splattered intestines, but settle for "USA Up All Night" eroticism. Anyway, never fear, it will come with an explicit warning label.

All the other themes listed so far sound great. I'll be so busy playing everyone else's games I hope I have time to finish mine. This is really getting exciting...

myshkyn

------------------
"I'll give the fans just what they want, and nothing else at all."

The main theme of my game will be about the flexibility of morals, the fluidity of ethics. Not about how ambiguous good and evil can be, but about how there are no good or evil, just actions. There will be no such this as 'failure', it won't be like in other games where if you choose the wrong option, you have to redo something, or if you accidently get caught stealing, you just open up your saved game. Murder will open up certain options for RP not otherwise available. The authorites will not be decked out with huge weapons and swoop in on you the second you walk into town, so 'crimes' will a viable option. Breaking into someone's house, killing them, and stealing all their money will have benefits, and you won't always get caught.

But then other actions will also open up more game play. Saving the poor woman won't get you any money, but some people will trust you more, just as stealing will make some people trust you more.

None of this silly "oh, you helped a poor person, the entire town loves you' stuff :). If you do 'good' you'll piss off some people, same with 'bad'. 😛

Plus i'm gonna have a very strong political aspect to my game. A huge part will be showing the flaws in every political system. Monarchies will have dodering old inbred kings, republics won't be representative of the people at all, democracies will be run by idiots. But each form of rule will also have it's good points. Monarchies will be united well. Republics will be far more effiecent, and democracies will be more representative. There will also be states with other forms of government, tyrrany, oligarchy, and what not. All this to the back drop of a very realistic Ancient Greek-esque setting, with strong undertones of surreality running through it. 🙂

That is, assuming I have the money to buy coldstone, then the time to make it 🙂

P.S. Oh, and a healthy dose of Philosophy and social commentarry, both modern and ancient, thrown in for good measure! 🙂
------------------
"For Example: Sunny days make me happy, rainy days make me sad." "But you can have fun on a rainy day too." "Your truth can be changed simply by how you accept it." "That is how fragile truth is for a human being."

(This message has been edited by Mashish (edited 05-01-2001).)

Like mouse, I'm aiming for EV-like flexibility. Whether you want to stamp out the forces of evil and save the world, or make a living guarding the inventor of rocket stilts from rogue florbles, that's up to you.

------------------
Cross over the cell bars, find a new maze, make the maze from it's path, find the cell bars, cross over the bars, find a maze, make the maze from its path, eat the food, eat the path.

excellent ideas, showing the corruption of politics!
personally, a main evil in my game is the Church of Voras. The Church seems to think that Voras is the one true God.. it goes on and on and on... well I guess the main character will end up offending them somehow, and then they put him "on their list" as it were.

------------------
"I felt you.. dying"
"I'm dying..?"
"I won't let you die..."

Mine is going to be a serial rpg as well. I've planned 4 episodes.
Mashish, how the hell do you plan to accomplish that? It would take aeons! 🙂
Mine is just going to go along a set story. Like final fantasy does.
Of course the plot is subject to change, as I haven't really written anything down yet.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.campaigncreations.com")http://www.campaigncreations.com(/url)

(This message has been edited by Rainblades (edited 05-01-2001).)

Originally posted by Rainblades:
Of course the plot is subject to change, as I haven't really written anything down yet.

I know how that goes... Yeah I wanna make mine just one game with an overall storyline that you should follow, although u do have many choices along the way(but not so drastic as to turn the main character more evil than the villains). I am tempted to start planning sequels.. but then I tell myself "NO!! finish this one!" I mean CS isn't even out yet and here I am planning a sequel or four.. or five.. ok so I'm planning a lot of games.

------------------
"I felt you.. dying"
"I'm dying..?"
"I won't let you die..."

(quote)Originally posted by Rainblades:
**Mashish, how the hell do you plan to accomplish that? It would take aeons!:) Nah, I don't think it will really take that long at all, it'll just mean I need to have a really enthralling storyline, which, sicne I'm partially basing it on historical events, won't be hard, since I already have lots of the plot worked out for me by history. 🙂

Plus, I'll have lots and lots of little missions and tasks, like, "go to the store, grab me some meat, could you?" Stuff like that, but the sort of stuff that will create an overall feel of the city-state the character is in at the time. Stuff like, "Hey, could you get me a speech from the orator ______, so I can win my court case against so-and-so", and it will become clear through these little missions that in the democratic state, the law courts are clogged with people suing each other of petty things, and the ordinary (stupid) people who judge the cases will believe any arguement.
Stuff like that. 🙂

Did I mention that democracy smells? It does. Damn democracy 🙂

------------------
"For Example: Sunny days make me happy, rainy days make me sad." "But you can have fun on a rainy day too." "Your truth can be changed simply by how you accept it." "That is how fragile truth is for a human being."

My main theme is gonna be Fate. You main character (Autur Pandrig. Sound familliar?) Is drawn into a quest to stop the Wampere (evil nasty race) from aquiring an ancient piece of technology that will give them immence power.

-Andrew

------------------
Do not aproach a cow from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.
-Mark Twain

Yeah, I'm planning to do a game based on the disc world series by Terry Pratchett. Choose your species (troll, dwarf, human, etc...), and then character (whether Barbarian, wizard, thief, assasin, fighter, or rincewind(cross between man and shrivelled git but pretty lucky!)), then you shall be cast onto the discworld, where you will shape your own fate, whether you want to be a good guy or baddie.

Cool huh! Also the books will provide provide an endless well of ideas, missions, plots etc...

Pad 🙂

Patrickmail@another.com

------------------