Creating a party...

I'm starting to get confused here. What exactly is the difference between a PC and an NPC? I had assumed that a PC was anyone in your party, and an NPC was anyone who wasn't in your party, yet Terminsel just mentioned the notion of having NPCs in your party. Personally, I wouldn't mind having only one PC if that PC could lead a party of NPCs. That is, after all, more or less the standard RPG setup - one important character who collects (and occasionally loses) helpers. So what definitions are people using?

------------------
(Insert Signature Here)

Originally posted by Wyvern:
**I'm starting to get confused here. What exactly is the difference between a PC and an NPC? I had assumed that a PC was anyone in your party, and an NPC was anyone who wasn't in your party, yet Terminsel just mentioned the notion of having NPCs in your party. Personally, I wouldn't mind having only one PC if that PC could lead a party of NPCs. That is, after all, more or less the standard RPG setup - one important character who collects (and occasionally loses) helpers. So what definitions are people using?

<A mouse enters carrying a giant picture of a confused Wyvern.>
I most cases(including this one) the following is true;
PC stands for 'Player Character,' NPC stands for 'Non-Player Character,' and everything else is just a character(monsters, town guards, most rulers of kingdoms{kings, queens, etc.}, the more common dragons, etc.)
Hope this is enlightening.
<The mouse uses a pencil to change the cufused look on the picture into one of understanding. Then the mouse leaves.>

------------------
Idiot-
A member of a large and powerful tribe, whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controling
Beware of strong drink - It can cause you to shoot at tax collectors and miss.

I think that, in the context people are using here, PC is referring to any character(s) directly under the user's control. You can tell a PC to "walk to there", "attack that monster", or "Run away!" An NPC, by contrast, is (as I understand people) being used here to refer to any character which the user does not control. This would include all enemies, and townspeople. In games such as the Final Fantasy series, all of the party members would be PCs by this definition. In other games (such as Secret of Mana in single-player mode, or a shooter game with "bot" teammates), only the main character is a PC. (is this what Wyvern was talking about?) You might be able to give suggestions to the others, but for the most part, they do what they feel like, so they're NPCs.

------------------
“If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?” - T.H. Huxley

I really think that there should be a PARTY not just a person. What's wrong with multiple PCs? I hope Beenow gets it through their thick sculls that multiple PCs are cool

Originally posted by Madcat:
I really think that there should be a PARTY not just a person. What's wrong with multiple PCs? I hope Beenow gets it through their thick sculls that multiple PCs are cool

<A mouse enters.>
Amen. I personally would like a turn-based, grid-locked battle system much like Exile 1, 2, 3, and Blades of Exile have. But, thats my preference. I think that a plugin allowing the choice of turn-based battle would be great, even if it came several months after the public release of version 1.0 of CS.
<The mouse leaves.>

------------------
Guilt, fear, and mass insanity...three cheers for forge!!!
If you don't care where you are, then you aren't lost.
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell and make you happy to be on your way.