Various Features

Just a quick check on some of the various features Coldstone might have or suggestions for those to implement.

Will Coldstone have events for easy camera effects, such as panning, zoom, shaking, and rotate? Sort of like cheap media special effects?

Will Coldstone have built in special effects, like fog, rain, storm, lightning, shadow, lighting, earthquake, or anything else?

Will Coldstone have ways to implement options, such as those to assign a button to skip text and movies or something of that sort?

Finally, how exactly will the online team environment, if it is still a feature, work? The one to allow team collaboration? Or is that still planned?

~Saphfire

------------------

Originally posted by saphfire:
**Just a quick check on some of the various features Coldstone might have or suggestions for those to implement.

Will Coldstone have events for easy camera effects, such as panning, zoom, shaking, and rotate? Sort of like cheap media special effects?

No, I don't think so, although you could create the effect easily with a quicktime movie.

Will Coldstone have built in special effects, like fog, rain, storm, lightning, shadow, lighting, earthquake, or anything else?

I'm afraid not, you have to create this effects with animations and movies.

Will Coldstone have ways to implement options, such as those to assign a button to skip text and movies or something of that sort?

Yes, I think you would be able to do this quite easily.

Finally, how exactly will the online team environment, if it is still a feature, work? The one to allow team collaboration? Or is that still planned?

~Saphfire

I'm not sure what you mean here, elaborate and I'll be able to give you an answer.

------------------
Ladies and Gentlemen, as you know we have something special for you at
Birdland this evening. A recording for Blue Note Records...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm afraid not, you have to create this effects with animations and movies.

What about these as environmental effects, such as the fog in RPGMaker2000, or the rain in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past?

I'm not sure what you mean here, elaborate and I'll be able to give you an answer.

I remember back in a topic discussing an online multiplayer compenent, someone mentioned that the online feature was just for the editor, allowing teams to more easily collaborate on games. Is this still a feature? Was it ever a feature, or was someone misinformed? How would this work? If this isn't planned, perhaps it would be a nice idea for a future release?

~Saphfire

------------------

**What about these as environmental effects, such as the fog in RPGMaker2000, or the rain in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past?

No, I'm afraid not, however, thanks to Coldstone's excellent transparency effects, it is easy to do.

I remember back in a topic discussing an online multiplayer compenent, someone mentioned that the online feature was just for the editor, allowing teams to more easily collaborate on games. Is this still a feature? Was it ever a feature, or was someone misinformed? How would this work? If this isn't planned, perhaps it would be a nice idea for a future release?

I'm afraid you were misinformed, Coldstone ha no online features, whether it's for the actual game, the editor or anything else for that matter. It would be a nice idea though, kind of like a virtual design room where the team can gather, share ideas, pictures, files etc etc.

------------------
Ladies and Gentlemen, as you know we have something special for you at
Birdland this evening. A recording for Blue Note Records...

I think that "teams" here refers to developement teams, not teams of players in an online arena. I could be wrong, but that's what it sounds like. I doubt that the editor will have any sort of online features(why would it?). I've never heard any mention that CGE will include the ability to make online games, either, if that's what you're getting at. Actually, I've seen numerous posts in which mods have had to discourage this notion, as there is no basis behind it. Still, this is all info garnished from these boards/the logs, so I can't garantee accuracy.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Yes, I was referring to teams making games, not playing them.

~Saphfire

------------------

There is support for development teams, as stated in the revision logs.
There is not support for network play, as stated in the (ever-aging) faq.

------------------
People who claim the sky is falling obviously aren't aware the earth is falling, too.

HEY im just wondering, HOW exactly do ya do that stuff in Quicktime???

------------------
Yes my frige is running..why?, oh OH MY GOD ITS ESCAPED AGAIN!

Originally posted by sanehatter:
**There is support for development teams, as stated in the revision logs.

I thought there might be. Any idea on how this is implemented? Could anyone elaborate? Or are you all as clueless as I am?

~Saphfire

------------------

well, apparently I am. I can't really imagin what an online feature in the editor would do though.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Originally posted by jmitchell:
**I can't really imagine what an online feature in the editor would do though.

Just a thought, perhaps the games compressed file could be stored on a server locally or remotely, and team members could be given accounts to logon and access it. It could have news functions, realtime chat, a form of message board, tasks, and uploads. Then, the whole team could watch the game as it progresses and make necessary changes without the middleman. Just an idea.

~Saphfire

------------------

sapphire has it nailed pretty well, although I believe you'll have to supply your own server and checkin/checkout system.

------------------
People who claim the sky is falling obviously aren't aware the earth is falling, too.

(This message has been edited by sanehatter (edited 03-14-2001).)

Great, I'd be so happy if this was implemented! Would it function on a comrade's local computer, much like Hotline, or on a remote server, like web scripts? Also, would each team member have to have a copy of the editor?

~Saphfire

------------------