all the graphicists out there

I'm a graphics guy. I won't lie: I'm a bad programer, so for me ColdStone is a dream.

This topic probably won't go anywhere, but I'm bored and curious: and that's a dangerous combination for a web-board frequenter. So, I've been wondering about what kind of software people are choosing (or are forced) to use for their CS graphics. I've seen a lot of mention of Bryce out there, and very little mention of anything else. any sort of response pertaining to graphics would be cool: this is just a conversation starter for anything cinematic/sprite/map/artwork related. feel free to jump in with whatever.

and a side note for those of you out there with less than incredible graphics prowess: ask some questions. if no one else, then I'll at least answer them as best I can (or more likely someone more experienced than myself will).

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

I personaly use Cinema 4D (www.cinema4D.com), as well as a few other programs such as HASH (www.hash.com), and of course good ole' Photoshop (if you need this address I'll shoot you myself) to make my stuff. I work primarily on cinematics, as that is where my training is alligned. you can expect to see a whole load of QTs in my game. I've also been getting better at sprite / map work. I hope to incorperate some of my origional artwork into my game, in whatever way I can. Something about a little hand-drawn stuff mixed with CG just works for me...

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Well, I'm an aspiring programer, and I've got an ammusing neighbor I get drunk with for inspiration, and for me coldstone is a vessel for me to release my infinite evil inspiration unto the land of light and good.

I haven't got the time, inclination, or lerning resources to make my own graphics, so I'm looking for someone to help me make a commercial quality RPG somewhere in the near future, once I've gotten a good feel for coldstone and it's abilities.

If you're interested, contact me at (url="http://"mailto:madman@diplomats.com")mailto:madman@diplomats.com(/url)madman@diplomats.com

My "grafix d00d" ( ;)) is WhiteShadow, and he's using Lightwave atm.

------------------
"Bond, GlueBubble Bond"
::walks down the mountain::

I use Hash's Animation Master (which I talked about a lot back in November/December), Photoshop, and my Wacom tablet. That's the computer stuff. The most important things I have for making art with are a newsprint pad, a hard pencil and a soft pencil.

Music, OTOH, well, I've got way too many pieces of gear. Software-wise I'll mention Pro Tools, Logic Audio, Metasynth, Reaktor, the Vibra 9000, and of course the ever-fun Thonk. FWIW, I'm writing up some basic tutorials for writing music and doing sound design, you can download uncompleted versions on Gluebubble's hotline server.

------------------
People who claim the sky is falling obviously aren't aware the earth is falling, too.

Yeah, I use Cinema 4D XL Ver 6.0 and BodyPaint. Good Ol Photoshop, a splash of Painter, a dab of Illustrator, a pint of Premier, and a dollop of After Effects...

I'm really looking foreward to this May though... Cause my boss is gonna ship me my copy of Maya for OSX!

Though I probably will still use Cinema 4D for most of my stuff, I have a personal love relationship with it. Cinema 4D is my "macintosh" meaning I'll probably advocate the hell out of it, and defend it even when the rest of the community cries that Maxon is a "dead company." 😃

------------------

Ooo. Good call Sanehatter.

Pencil and paper, never forget pencil and paper. And the Wacom tablet is nice as well, I went out on a limb and bought the 9*12, and though I never use the 4D mouse that came with it, I dearly love my tablet.

------------------

-29°
:: Lungs burn with the sharp tinge of winter in the air::
He is here...

I plan on using a pencil, paper,a couple art gum erases,some ink,some colored pencils,and Appleworks 6.

..."Why?" one might ask, and I'd tell him because "I can do that"...
... So Says The Chill !

+29°
::breathing easily once more, the room thaws::
He is gone...??

------------------
Don't send me any mail...

nasty. one must never underestimate the power of tools that have been around for centuries. I really have to brush up on my pencil + paper skills, but when I do, I intend integrate traditional art into my CG as much as I can.

------------------
-Jedi

Hey Im only 15 and im planning to be A computer programmer...so i know lots but in a general area.....I've used stuff like unrealed (unreals editor as well as Half-lifes) Ummm also Myth2 editor and bits and pieces. Im as i said only 15 and i have little or no money...I need a graphics program so i can make movies....I can't afford any $450 thing just for Cs so im wondering is there a decent movies making program that is free?????? HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thnks

------------------
Yes my frige is running..why?, oh OH MY GOD ITS ESCAPED AGAIN!

Try PovRay. (url="http://"http://www.povray.org")www.povray.org(/url)
If you're planning on being a programmer, PovRay should work great for you. After all, the interface in PovRay is very similar to programming. And it's free. I wouldn't recommend trying to make people in it, though.

------------------

(Insert Signature Here)

------------------
unseen...
unwanted...
unlawful...
undead...

Originally posted by chill_rx:

That's what we call spam around here. Next time I'll tick you for it. There was really absolutely no purpose to it.

------------------
And so the problem remained; lots of people were mean, and most of them were miserable, even the ones with digital watches. Many were increasingly of the opinion that they had all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that the trees had been a bad move and that no one should ever have left the oceans. - Douglass Adams

Originally posted by Brent Wallace:
**Hey Im only 15 and im planning to be A computer programmer...so i know lots but in a general area.....I've used stuff like unrealed (unreals editor as well as Half-lifes) Ummm also Myth2 editor and bits and pieces. Im as i said only 15 and i have little or no money...I need a graphics program so i can make movies....I can't afford any $450 thing just for Cs so im wondering is there a decent movies making program that is free?????? HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thnks

pixels 3D is decent/free. it ain't so great for making lots of animation with, but it has a good modeler and the terrain editor is marvelous -- I do most of my freehand terrain modeling with it. there's a link to a free version of it somewhere around this board, but for the life of me, I can't remember where...

here's the best I can remember how to get to it:
(url="http://"http://www.pixels.net/newweb2/support/downloads.html")pixels.net(/url)
there you will find a copy of all the software available on the site. choose the "Pixels3D v3.6", and choose the BinHex version to download. it's larger, but there's a server-side error that gives you v3.7 if you click on v3.6 as a MacBinary file.
Then, just go back to the top level of the site once you have your software and find the "register" section of the page. just ask for a software key for v3.6, and you'll have yourself a free, fully-featured 3D modeling/animation/rendering program.

------------------
-Jedi