An really interesting idea....

Well, Madman has a pretty interesting idea. He has proposed, and I quote:

First, let me give a brief summary of the project I have planned. It's called Times of Anarchy, and it centers around a kingdom being torn apart in a civil war over numerous factions fighting for power after the king dies without an heir.

My main idea is to get all coldstone users to band together to make a single game that we could all contribute to (like the Delta V plugin for EV)

It will involve four internal factions who formerly supported the king, and are now fighting each other to rise to power, two other nations trying to conquer the nation to expand their own borders, and widespread riots and insurrections of peasants and rogues.

The player controlled character a single person who has been exiled from his home, and must take residence and make a living in one of the sections of the divided kingdom.

I’m looking for ideas for cities, NPC’s, tasks/scenarios for the player to complete, and of course, graphics and sound if you are capable of making them.

If you contribute, be sure to send me a name (Preferably what your web board screen name is if you’ve been using the Coldstone board), and a personality, and I’ll make it into an NPC. I’m looking for extra side characters to support plot development.

I’m looking for tasks/scenarios to fill in the main game and develop the plot, as well as a good amount of simple side quests just for fun. Also the game will require a good fill of towns and cities to fill in the spaces between all of the major points, so it won’t become to simple or dull. The beginning of the game will be not be changed, it’s only there to set the mood anyway. There will be multiple endings, and probably dozens of them, I’m not going to make quicktime movies for them, and I don’t think anyone has enough free time or inclination to make several movies for a project that won’t have their name pasted all over it (just prove me wrong). I've gotten the main plot and story, but I still need this to be a group project for this to work.

What we’ll be left with would be a freeware game that will be done the way we all want it done, while still not spoiling the whole thing from having created it. Once it is distributed I’ll add the option to allow plug-ins for it. Dee has answered the question, we can allow plug-ins or modifications for our games.

Send all suggestions, contributions, comments, insults, voodoo curses and spam to: Madman@Diplomats.com

Thanks!
—Madman

I think this is a pretty cool idea. I'll be working on my own, so I wouldn't contribute to this. Now, I'm not saying that it would have to be what Madman is thinking of specifically, but I think a group project could turn out some really interesting results. Not some team of 2 or 3 people, but a group of 6, 7 or more people working on one game could turn out some pretty damned cool things. It would be something like an open source project. I don't know exactly what GoD (Gathering of Developers) is like, but it seems like a group of Coldstone users could put out some pretty cool stuff. I guess I just thought I'd post the idea here, and see what people think.

------------------
"Bond, GlueBubble Bond"
::walks down the mountain::

Originally posted by theGlueBubble:
**I think this is a pretty cool idea. Now, I'm not saying that it would have to be what Madman is thinking of specifically, but I think a group project could turn out some really interesting results. Not some team of 2 or 3 people, but a group of 6, 7 or more people working on one game could turn out some pretty damned cool things. It would be something like an open source project. I don't know exactly what GoD (Gathering of Developers) is like, but it seems like a group of Coldstone users could put out some pretty cool stuff. I guess I just thought I'd post the idea here, and see what people think.

Yeah, one person could focus on each main area of creating the game. Like 1 (or 2 since this can take the longest - besides creating graphics) person work on maps, one on NPCs, one on items, and etc.

It would be a very efficent way of producing a game quickly, and a quality game since each person can focus all their attention onto one area.

Bubble, do you have room for another Coldstone user on your game... 🙂

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."

Originally posted by Avatara:
**Yeah, one person could focus on each main area of creating the game. Like 1 (or 2 since this can take the longest - besides creating graphics) person work on maps, one on NPCs, one on items, and etc.

It would be a very efficent way of producing a game quickly, and a quality game since each person can focus all their attention onto one area.

Ah, since the game browser is the picture of the day (where it shows the major catagories as folders), I can go into slightly more detail. An ideal split-up would be:

2 people on maps & locations
1 person on events
1 person on items, spells, races, and other miscellanious objects
1 person on NPCs
1 person on adding sound, music, and sometimes movies
2 people on animation, and adding graphics
1 person on overall game specifics: like window layouts, etc.

Thus the ideal team consists of 9 people with good communication and planning working on a game with each other.

------------------

Do you guys realize how much effort it will take? A large group working on one project must be very very committed and I am sad to say that there are usually a few people who don't do their share and make others do their work. If you do this, make sure you don't let just anybody participate. Make sure you have people who you can trust and people you know will work hard.

------------------
Apple Computer - The name of microsoft's research and development division
--------------------------------
Make sure you visit the Coldstone Hotline Server run by GlueBubble. The IP is:

Yes, we at Mille Terrae (Big EVO plug-in) have had problems with this. 11 people started. 4 remain today.

But we've managed to cope, and it looks like Mille Terrae will be entering beta soon. Group plug-ins (or CS games in this situation) CAN and WILL work, but prepare for a lot of setbacks.

------------------
"Its not my client you saw at the scene of the crime; it was a weather baloon!" **
(url="http://"http://www.drippingchipmunk.com")DrippingChipmunk.com(/url)
(url="http://"http://www.jonpearse.f2s.com/ev3/ev3_quotes.php")#EV3 QUOTE ARCHIVE (/url)**

Yes, some problems can be expected. But, for example, I think a group of people who are friends on the webboard would do pretty well.

------------------
And so the problem remained; lots of people were mean, and most of them were miserable, even the ones with digital watches. Many were increasingly of the opinion that they had all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that the trees had been a bad move and that no one should ever have left the oceans. - Douglass Adams

Wait a minute...aren't thekestrel and thegluebubble the same people? Because on the hotline server gluebubbles names is thekestrel. ACK, good thing its friday.

And remember this: When entering a team project you need to pull your weight. Don't sign up just for the sake of having your name in the credits.

------------------

Originally posted by DarkBlade:
**Wait a minute...aren't thekestrel and thegluebubble the same people? Because on the hotline server gluebubbles names is thekestrel. ACK, good thing its friday.

Yep, Gluey was formally theKetrel, he's just decided to confuse everybody and use his old name for a while. 😛

Oh, and put me down for this joint project, Armanus Zero has been put on hold until Coldstone is in Final Copy. I can work fast, well and communicate with others.

------------------
Friction leads to fire, you could get burned,
How much ink I just injected is none of your concern,
Unless your on terms of understanding the omega,
He controlls the mix so you can inherit the heater.

(This message has been edited by the Necromicon (edited 02-23-2001).)

Well, i'm still workin' away on the Angel's Fate site. Probably going to consider doing such things as an Angel's Fate startup screen, wallpaper, and cursor set (can you have colour cursors???). Pretty soon I am going to need to find people to fill the position of 2d graphics, 3d graphics, and music. Contact me if you are interested.

------------------

Originally posted by theGlueBubble:
**Well, Madman has a pretty interesting idea. He has proposed, and I quote:
I think this is a pretty cool idea. I'll be working on my own, so I wouldn't contribute to this. Now, I'm not saying that it would have to be what Madman is thinking of specifically, but I think a group project could turn out some really interesting results. Not some team of 2 or 3 people, but a group of 6, 7 or more people working on one game could turn out some pretty damned cool things. It would be something like an open source project. I don't know exactly what GoD (Gathering of Developers) is like, but it seems like a group of Coldstone users could put out some pretty cool stuff. I guess I just thought I'd post the idea here, and see what people think.

I for one would love to take part in this, i've worked with 1 or 2 RPG engines but mostly FPS engines, Im only 15 but my imagination is strong..i got a few ideas of my own but once again this is a great idea and id love to take part 🙂

------------------
Yes my frige is running..why?, oh OH MY GOD ITS ESCAPED AGAIN!

I thought a good idea for this game would be to make it very open ended. This way, once the GD (group developed) game is done, it would leave options for each individual to go off on their own tangent and create a plug-in for the game. Pretty much all the same graphics could be used, as the plug-ins would probably take place in the same area. This would add many hours to the Mac RPG scene.

------------------
And so the problem remained; lots of people were mean, and most of them were miserable, even the ones with digital watches. Many were increasingly of the opinion that they had all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that the trees had been a bad move and that no one should ever have left the oceans. - Douglass Adams

Originally posted by theKestrel:
**I thought a good idea for this game would be to make it very open ended. This way, once the GD (group developed) game is done, it would leave options for each individual to go off on their own tangent and create a plug-in for the game. Pretty much all the same graphics could be used, as the plug-ins would probably take place in the same area. This would add many hours to the Mac RPG scene.

Which product are we referring to here?

------------------

Originally posted by Avatara:
**Which product are we referring to here?

it's listed in the first post: "Times of Anarchy," as dubbed by Madman

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

No, I didn't necessarily mean Madman's idea. It's the decision of whatever group of people get together as to what it will be about. For a group project like that, I suggest a typical RPG, rather than trying to break ground in a genre. Hopefully everyone would be able to agree on one. 🙂

------------------

That's a most interesting idea, and i MIGHT be able to join, on account of i plan on getting AIM pretty soon--those start-up messages on my PC are getting annoying and i just want them to go away. One problem. I dont have coldstone.

------------------
"There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy is going to tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. No one but the enemy shows you where you are weak. No one but the enemy shows you where he is strong." --Orson Scott Card

(This message has been edited by GameFanatic (edited 02-24-2001).)

(This message has been edited by GameFanatic (edited 02-24-2001).)