Plug-ins?

Will there be any way to implement plug-in modules for Coldstone created games, the feature that made Escape Velocity so popular even after the last mission was completed?

Well, I don't know about you guys but I am against the idea of people making spin offs of my game and my ideas. Kinda like star wars books, those crappy authors can rot in hell. 😃

------------------
Was it the Chad?
--------------------------------
Make sure you visit the Coldstone Hotline Server run by GlueBubble. The IP is:

Whatabout the possibility of plug-ins for ColdStone itself? Then maybe some brainy programmer could make a plug-in that allowed for turn-based battles and all that stuff. That'd be so cool.

Well, I can't say whether or not real time battles will be the only choice you have. I am sure a lot of people would prefer turn-based battles to real time but not me. Congrats to Beenox for making the switch.

------------------
Was it the Chad?

Originally posted by DarkBlade:
**Well, I can't say whether or not real time battles will be the only choice you have. I am sure a lot of people would prefer turn-based battles to real time but not me. Congrats to Beenox for making the switch.

I agree.

------------------
"Bond, GlueBubble Bond"
::walks down the mountain::

I wouldn't say evil. Dark Blade is right -- there's no way I want some 12 year old with his x-mass present of an imac hacking into my masterpiece and tossing in a power-ranger or three, but I think expandability in the engine could be a good thing.

If nothing else, then at least the possibility that there will be patches/upgrades that will continuously improve coldstone. I'd preffer those upgrades to be made by Ambrosia (or more likely Beenox, in all their programming glory), and not some third party working in their basement. Not that I've got anything agaisnt basement developers (being one myself...) but I DO like that finished feel that I get from professional upgrades + addons. I think the addition of more functionality to the Coldstone engine will only enhance it because -- honestly -- none of us seem to share more than a few fleeting oppinions on how a good RPG should work. So, the more choices we all have, the better.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Well, I agree with you on leaving your own personal works untouched, but I have a different idea.

One game I have planed, Times of Anarchy , will be made so that others can modify versions and make their own version of the game available to players. This would allow for great replayability as the game would become similar to EV (probably Ambrosia's biggest success) in the way that people would be able to download or make their own version of the game, with different events, NPCs, and scenarios.

I intend this to be a group effort including all willing coldstone users, so we will all be left with a game done the way we want, without instantly spoiling it from having written it.

------------------
Madman 2000 tip of the day. (more tips) (stop showing tips)

Originally posted by saphfire:
Will there be any way to implement plug-in modules for Coldstone created games...

Yes, this will be an option. The creator of the original game can decide to "activate" plugin support for his game (there is some more options that I will not list here). If so, anyone will be able to use Coldstone to develop add-ons for this game.

------------------
Dee Brown
Coldstone Game Engine developer
Beenox inc. - (url="http://"http://www.beenox.com")www.beenox.com(/url)

Great! That takes a great load off of my project!! Before, my game would have required people to distribute complete versions of the game just to get their modification out. Now all I need is a place to make plugins available for downloading. (I'm about to make a new thread about a few ideas I've got) "Personal Space"

------------------
We are Microsoft.
You will be assimilated.
Resistance is futile.

If you are worried about unprofessional plug-ins (which are not high on MY concern list, but others have brought up the point), would it be possible to allow for plug-ins by the author only, perhaps with a password or special coding?

------------------

Well, I don't really see the point on allowing plug-ins for a game when only the origional author may make them, but what if players would be allowed to make the plugins without any authorisation, but need a code to "plug in" the file and make it work with the game, so that only aproved modifications would be distributed.

------------------
We are Microsoft.
You will be assimilated.
Resistance is futile.

::an icy hand materializes and begins to etch upon the surface of the wall::

To those who now evil, Necro', and to the creator of CGE, Dee...
I have but one question, will I have my turn based combat or not (with the addition of animation of battle sprites as in FF7-9 ) ??

::a whisper carries on the wind, it makes out the words Orbiter,,,Grandeur, and falls silent::
(To the wise, you know what I mean)

::the hand dissapates::
He is gone?

<< chill_rx@yahoo.com >>

Originally posted by -29°:
I have but one question, will I have my turn based combat or not (with the addition of animation of battle sprites as in FF7-9 ) ??**

I can honestly say, as everyone has honestly said before, that we don't know.

------------------
Friction leads to fire, you could get burned,
How much ink I just injected is none of your concern,
Unless your on terms of understanding the omega,
He controlls the mix so you can inherit the heater.

Chill, everything you talk about seems to be related to final fantasy. Did you think that maybe you should make a game all of your own instead of just trying to copy FF as best you can.

IMHO turn based is not good, it seems like too many rpgs are turn based and it just gets repetitive. Congrats to Beenox for switching. But then, with all the complaining people do (me included) around here it is tough to say whether or not that is final.

------------------
Was it the Chad?

hey now. just because it's been done before doesn't mean that it isn't good. to each his own, man. If it comes out real time, then I'll deal. but I'd like the option to do either ; that way none of us will have anything to complain about. but, if that's been ruled out already, then so be it. and congrats to beenox either way.

(This message has been edited by jmitchell (edited 02-14-2001).)

-29°

Who said anything about copying FF, I just see it as a familiar example with which to talk
about subjects. That way when I mention something you know what I mean...

oh by the way FF is KING!....

So Says The Chill...!

::the room stays froze::

------------------
Don't send me any mail...

(This message has been edited by chill_rx (edited 02-15-2001).)

FF should not bee used as the basis for any sort of comparison other then graphical detail. The story was horrible, the battle system sucked, and if I see another spiky haired goon I am going to scream. Final Fantasy VII-IX seem like exactly the same game to me, albeit with battle systems that get worse every time (FFVIII battle system made me stop playing it 15 minutes into it.)and the storylines changed.

------------------
Was it the Chad?

go old school. FF 3,4, and 6.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi