Skill Systems

I know we can make certain character classes get spells at different levels and all that, but I want to know if we can make them buy their skills elsewhere?
What I have in mind is this: there will be no "character classes". There will be around 143 different skills you can develop by being taught them by a master(this involves money, of course). Skills range from Backflip(it should be interesting to add this to the game, if I can) to Defensive Spell casting or Shapeshift: Orc.
Spell casting will be involved. First you must learn the basics, then you can get more spells as you progress in experience. With this system you could create a Monk(dragon kick, cycle kick, spinning punch etc) and give it some Thief skills like Improved Eyesight, Danger Sense, Sneak, Hide, Backstab, and pick pockets.
It would be interesting to see just how many combinations there could be.

------------------
"Oh....Talia is it? What a....a pleasant surprise. I did not expect---"
"Neither did your guards--- judging by the look of shock pasted on their lifeless faces"

that type of system has always been interesting. something like the Deus Ex skill system, but with trainers to teach you the new skills in exchange for money. It sounds like it could be done (although I'm no beta tester, so I don't know any specifics).

My understanding of the engine is that when you level up, you can set an event to give you something or other, whether it be money an item. If it could give you 'skill points' in some form or another, you could then buy new skills with the help of a trainer; something like the system that Spiderweb Software uses for their RPGs.

I guess the only question is: can Coldstone be modified to grant something like "skill points?" I mean, from the previews I've read, the engine allows the granting of items/money when you level up, but I'm not sure if you can customize it to give you a different kind of "skill currency" instead. should be interesting to see the workarounds that people come up with. If someone knows the workings of the engine, I'd like to see whether or not that kind of "multiple currency" is possible.

Jedi

------------------

One nice online RPG, (url="http://"http://www.oberin.com")Oberin(/url), used each skill individualy instead of classes. That way, you could develop a charicter in any way you choose. I've been neglecting my RPG storywriting/spritemaking to play it, because it's just that addictive Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

(I got that picture from a URL on another post, feel free to steal it smiley addicts!)

------------------
Madman 2000 tip of the day. (more tips) (stop showing tips)

You could also have certain skill actions add some form of skill points (whether this is an item type or some built in meter is irrelevant), and then you could trade those in at a training location for skill improvements - thus, if you use healing spells alot, you would learn healing spells much faster. Which raises the following questions:

1. can you make inventory items totally invisible to the player?
  2. can you make an event that triggers when the player has a certain number of a specific item?
  3. is inventory dealt with on a per-character basis or a per-party basis?

------------------

(Insert Signature Here)

or are parties even allowed?

------------------
"Oh....Talia is it? What a....a pleasant surprise. I did not expect---"
"Neither did your guards--- judging by the look of shock pasted on their lifeless faces"

Originally posted by Lorenoth:
**or are parties even allowed?

I don't know, but I am going to assume that they will be, since anything else would, in my not-so-humble opinion, not be worth anything. As in, if parties are not allowed, I am extremely unlikely to use/register Coldstone. Under those circumstances I would rather write my own game engine.

------------------

(Insert Signature Here)