Battle system?

Will coldstone feature a Realmz like battle system? Or will it be more like good old one screen battle rpgs like the snes final fantasy sort? Or could it possibly do both?

------------------

Im thinking Realmz but it could be FF type.

------------------
Had to alter sig because it was pissing me off

Make mine FF on screen battles are lude...and give less of an epic feel

Immagine if the very last battle in ff 7 was on the world map, instead of on the heavens? ...

Registered,undaunted...
So Says The Chill...

------------------
Not dead, yet... He is here
I am the cure, So Says The Chill

you actually WANT a realmz battle system?!

repeatedly smashes head against wall

ff7 was 3d! 3D!!!! soo much better than little people who dont have any animation and stuff.

------------------
Your Cleave <<| |@_#&!!cruSICfies!!?_| |>> the addictive MUD!

They aren't discussing graphics systems here. I covered that already in the "8/16/32-bit" thread.

What they're talking about is a combat system where distance and obstacles are a factor (as in Realmz, Exile/Avernum, Fallout, and more sophisticated computer games), or an isolated system where it's just your party against the enemy (as in Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Mario RPG, and most console games).

It has already been stated that the battle system bas been integrated into the map system, so it will use a system tied to distance and obstacles, but I believe Dee also stated that it is a combination of turn-based and real-time action, so maybe it will be something new, or maybe something along the lines of Chrono-Trigger. Since we have yet to see movies of it, we don't know.

------------------
--You notice that you have been turned into a pile of ashes.

They were still working on the battle system last time I checked...

"--You notice that you have been turned into a pile of ashes."

Nice one but still no match for an ice ball to the Ear,that hurts...

Please make it turn based for the love of God turn-based,turn-based, turn-based...

Composes himself...

Make it like the Final Fantay 7 system,you must admit it was hot...

...So Says The Chill!...

------------------
Not dead, yet... He is here
I am the cure, So Says The Chill

Oddly enough, I agree with the chill. Only for one thing, though. I like turn based. I want it to be Realmz style though. The impression I get is that you might be able to do both FF and Realmz with ColdStone, if not in the same game

------------------
Had to alter sig because it was pissing me off

I am against turn based. Basically every other major game out there is turn based and it just gets so repetitive. Choose action->choose which type of that action to do->do that action->done. It seems a little dumb to me. I dislike the Realmz battle system too. Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore had the best battle systems, something we call ring command. It gives you more flexability and the added challenge of actually moving and attacking at the same time (as opposed to realmz where you move then attack).

------------------
I swear your honour! He was like that when I found him
Alex Hawkins**********

I would like if you were able to choose!
Like one realmz type and one ff type and one totally realtime like diablo or zelda or secret of mana and one more like fallout.

What do YOU think??żż

------------------
Why look at a window, you just see trough, when you can look at a beutiful apple?

Now I'm repeating myself!

Choice, have to have choice! Why not offer the option to the player?

If it was me, I'd go with SoM's combat system. Now THAT was a real time combat RPG! And no one can argue otherwise! SoM Rocks!

Ahem... excuse me, I like that game. I wish CT had had such a combat system. That would have been the only possible improvement to the game...

My opinions change about what would be good in an RPG as my ideas do... I would like to see a turn-based battle system in this game. I'd also like to see the ability to take over a group of NPC's (your traveling companions).

------------------
"Today, young men on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively; that there's no such thing as death, life is only a dream in which imagination is ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."
------------------

A choice between turn-based and real time would be the best.....hint, hint 😉

------------------
"Bond, GlueBubble Bond."

I say Coldstone should offer an option between turn-based(FF1-3,Wildarms), active time(FF4-9), turn-based strategy(FF Tactics, Realms, Shining Force), real-time strategy(Myth-like), and action (Diablo, Secret of Mana). The options for turn based and active time should also allow both first person(Phantasy Star, Shining in the Darkness), and third person(FF). With these options, most of the RPG syles would be covered, and most people couldn't complain.

------------------
The vampire squid from
hell is real, and there
is more than one.
Mwahahaha... oh, sorry,

How about the old Parasite Eve system? The run and shoot idea was innovative...

what about the Chrono Trigger one? it's kinda half action and half turn based

is CT chrono trigger?
isn't that the game with so many endings that it was just ruined?

------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"Why no Mr. Bond! I expect you to die!"

I say Coldstone should offer an option between turn-based(FF1-3,Wildarms), active time(FF4-9), turn-based strategy(FF Tactics, Realms, Shining Force), real-time strategy(Myth-like), and action (Diablo, Secret of Mana). The options for turn based and active time should also allow both first person(Phantasy Star, Shining in the Darkness), and third person(FF). With these options, most of the RPG syles would be covered, and most people couldn't complain.<<

I completely agree. I've longed to make a Final Fantasy-style RPG for the Mac, but I'm not that hot with programming. The walking engine for Coldstone was perfect, but the battles were Realmz-style, which I hate.

Originally posted by Lorenoth:
**is CT chrono trigger?
isn't that the game with so many endings that it was just ruined?

Far from it! CT is the second greatest RPG off all time (it only loses to SoM becauuse SoM had a way cool battle system). The multiple endings challenged you to find all the secrets so you could see the best endings.

------------------
Was it the Chad?

I never played it, but man did I hear some whining online about it, like some aol chatroom I think...

------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"Why no Mr. Bond! I expect you to die!"