Damage types

Is it possible to have more damage types than the five types in the screenshots?
(fire, cold, chem, elec, and natural)

Is it possible to make things like a fire creature that gets healed by fire damage and takes double damage by cold damage?

Will it be possible to have spells work like in Baldur큦 gate?
(your mage-person can remember X spells at a time, and after using them he would have to rest to be able to cast them again. With no spell-points or any casting costs)

------------------
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let큦 not bicker and argue about who killed who."

I suppose that if you targeted a fire-based creature with a fire-based spell, it could do negative damage. The tricky thing here would be that you would need to make the spells target-specific, i.e. the damage depends on the target.

-cybergnu

------------------

On the question of whether you will be able to have more spell attributes than fire, cold, chem, elec, and natural, I think that in all likelyhood you will, but of course this is just speculation. My main reason for thinking so is the fact that this list doesn't contain light or dark, which are pretty much mainstays in rpg's. In addition, even if these are the only attributes, it really can't do much more than limit you to five. How would the game know if your "chem" spells are really secretly wind spells? The only thing here that would really be inconvenient is if the EFFECTS of these spells are set in stone, for example if fire ALWAYS heals fire enemies instead of doing 50% damage or something.

------------------

I didn't like the spell system all that much in Baldur's Gate, because mages were pretty much worthless until they hit lvl 5 and up(like mine 😉 )or until they could memorize more spells at a time. I hope they have a 'mana' or 'mp' system(I prefer mana, cuz mp sounds too Final Fantasy Legend -11 or something on the ancient side of things). By mana I mean something like Hit Points, or Life Points, where instead of draining when you are successfully hit they drain when you cast spells. This is much more "practical" in my opinion, cuz you don't have to REST EVERY FIVE MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like in BG. But maybe they'll let you alter that(hope hope hope hope hope hope hope). Of course some people prefer the memorizing thing but it's too restricting, if u ask me.

------------------
Yeah I'm confused by
this signature thing...
Lorenoth? right...

I myself like mana, but there are some hardcore D&D; fans out there. I favor as loose and customizable a system as possible: I don't want to have anyone have to sacrifice a lot of game quality for a little bit of an easier time making the game. I hope that people view Coldstone as an opportunity for artistically minded people and non-programmers to make engaging games and not a program whose purpose is to let everyone make a slew of nearly identical games...but easily! If it's only possible to have one magic learning/using system, my favorites were Final Fantasy Tactics' and Chrono Triggers'. On the topic of Chrono Trigger, people have probably already said this, but combo attacks rule!

------------------
"Don't blame me, I voted with the majority!"

Combo attacks are pretty good. Gotta agree with you there.

You should be able, however, to call it mana, mp, energy...what-have-you, if Coldstone allows you to customize attribute names.

You should be also able to customize this attribute.

So if this is true, then everything's cool....

-cybergnu

------------------

I didn큧 mean making other names on the damage types. I meant to ask if there is possible to have more than five types of damage.
I would prefer light, dark, wind, thunder, fire, cold, water, earth, blunt weapon, sharp weapon, mind, and magic damage in one game.
Thats 12 types!

------------------
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let큦 not bicker and argue about who killed who."

To your question, I have no idea. But I'll just say this. In The Unreal Time, spells will be a very rare thing. You only use them in certain parts of the game to open up areas, reveal illusions, open a portal, ect. You can't use them on other enemies. For that, you have a huge and cool weapons arsenal ;).

------------------
Look, I only speak two languages. English and bad English.~Bruce Willis
~Nick

Well, there's already been some discussion about this.

The only reason I can think for you to need more than one type of damage is to have different animation sets or for greater/less damage based on creature type or class. I don't think that anyone found out if you can make different character types/magic types to allow you to do this.

------------------
"The Gnuey Boy"

I used to have a beta long time ago where you could set the monsters resistance to the different types of damage.
You could also make spells shoot things at the enemy.

------------------

It is very easy to build in NPC disabilities and immunities such as the fire creature example Ni wrote above. There is an option in the NPC dialogue I believe...

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum10/HTML/001524.html")The Tides of War(/url)
(url="http://"http://www.ohhla.com")The Original Hip-Hop Lyrics Archive(/url)
Hip Hop Recomendation of the week: The Art of Xen
------------------

Originally posted by Knight of NI:
**Is it possible to have more damage types than the five types in the screenshots?
(fire, cold, chem, elec, and natural)

Is it possible to make things like a fire creature that gets healed by fire damage and takes double damage by cold damage?

The types you talk of are elemental types. You can add a few (light elemental, shadow elemental (check "The Evil Clone" story in Cythera board for example)) but that is all. You could make a mental damage.

Remember, you are attacking the creature with it. No matter what, he should take damage. The effectiveness would go down if the creature was of the same type (ex: lava creature gets hit by fireball. The fire doesn't do the damage but the ballistic effect of the fireball does a little bit). That way if you are down to only a few mana (MP, whatever) you can hit him with a final spell without worrying aobut rejuevinating him.

------------------
Had to alter sig because it was pissing me off

I don't like the idea of everyone eliminating elemental rejuvination. It may be somewhat unrealistic in a lot of cases, but it's classical! And it can add variety to items by making them allow you to, for example, absorbe fire. Also, it is semi-realistic in some cases. What about hitting that electric lady in the superman cartoons with electricity? She'd just get recharged. Maybe SHE's not realistic, but you get the point. Absorbtion should definately not be universally eliminated. Only in the cases where people really don't like it.

------------------
"Well you know that it's a fool who playes it cool by making his world a little colder."

Originally posted by Wandering_Slacker:
**I don't like the idea of everyone eliminating elemental rejuvination. It may be somewhat unrealistic in a lot of cases, but it's classical! And it can add variety to items by making them allow you to, for example, absorbe fire. Also, it is semi-realistic in some cases. What about hitting that electric lady in the superman cartoons with electricity? She'd just get recharged. Maybe SHE's not realistic, but you get the point. Absorbtion should definately not be universally eliminated. Only in the cases where people really don't like it.

I totally agree!

------------------