Item Costs

My question is, is it possible for item costs to vary with time? I don't much like accidentally buying something and then selling it back at half cost when I haven't used it. On the other hand, items get old over time, and at some point shop keepers could not offer any money for your items. However, this would mean that an inventory menu would have to list 2 occurances of the same basic item picked up at different times as completely separate items. It would also be nice to have items that would apreciate in value as the game goes on across the board, like seltzer in Star Ocean 2. If you can afford to buy someting early on, for example, it will cost more to buy and sell later on and you can make a tidy profit. Speculation?

------------------
"Well you know that it's a fool who playes it cool by making his world a little colder."

Hey, a nice idea here. Have a blacksmith to sharpen (and increase battle damage) swords and other weapons. They would get worn down after so many battles that they don't do as much (all normal weapons, spec weapons don't count) damage. You can sell unused weapons for full price and used ones for half. During day and night would be diff costs too.

------------------
Had to alter sig because it was pissing me off

I don't think I will make weapons age, it would be a pain for the player to replace them, they will simple aquire battle damage....they will have two...actually three levels of battle effectivness they can be blessed by some magic effect (increase in damage), they can be normal (normal damage) or they can be damaged or worn (less damage).....if a weapon becomes damaged the player can that them to a smith (black smith, greensmith) and get them reworked to tip top shape again.

------------------
Armorments, chapter two, verses 9 to 21- And Saint Atilla raised the hand grenade up on high saying, "O lord, bless this thine hand grenade, that with it thou may blow thy enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloaths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats....."

what's a greensmith?

------------------
Yeah I'm confused by
this signature thing...
Lorenoth? right...

Like durability in diablo? If an item was damaged its durability goes down, an item with higher durability sells for more then one with a lower durability

------------------

I've been working on my own game a little bit in C, and my idea for aging is this: each weapon has a chance of breakage with each hit, and also loses a fraction of a point of durability. As time goes on, the chance of breakage increases, though the durability loss remains constant. Once durability reaches zero or the item breaks, it has to get repaired. If it's repaired, the chance of breakage and the durability will both be set back to their original points. Certain weapons could have high durability and low chance of breakage, and they won't have to repaired for a very long while. Certain weapons, though, could have low durability and high chance of breakage, and they will have to be repaired often.

------------------
<font color="gold">Bronze: the other gold metal.</font>
Bacchus Publishing: (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/show.pl?product=evo&category;=guides&display;=date&file;=ChroniclesByJake101.sit.hqx")Chronicles by Jake101: the unposted chapters(/url), (url="http://"http://users.erols.com/alkrauss/Once_Again.html")Once Again: on the web.(/url)

A greensmith handles wood weapons and wood in general....in my game I would make weapons indestructable, you can always use them..but as I said before they can get worn out

------------------
Armorments, chapter two, verses 9 to 21- And Saint Atilla raised the hand grenade up on high saying, "O lord, bless this thine hand grenade, that with it thou may blow thy enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloaths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats....."

I don't really understand Supersonic, so what happens when the durablity gets to 0%? Is the weapons effectiveness just drastically reduced?

------------------
Was it the Chad?

It wouldn't hit as well as a sharp weapon would in battle. When durability would reach 0%, the weapon would break and force you to go to a blacksmith.

------------------
Had to alter sig because it was pissing me off

People seem a lot more interested in the weapon durability thing than the increase in value bit...I think I might make investing a big part of my game, you have the option to buy a lot of stuff including pieces of art that may go up or down in value or something. Maybe not art, maybe booze. I dunno, not sounding as good now as it did earlier. It was just really funny in Star Ocean 2...The seltzer was selling for like a million bucks...sigh. If someone can do a really good job of something like this it would be great. At least I got the "value changes with time" idea out there.

------------------
"Well you know that it's a fool who playes it cool by making his world a little colder."

there are not many variables here, only 3 levels of effectivness like 125 percent effective 100 percent effective and 75 percent effective....thats it

------------------
"You must hear the universal call to like your neighbor just like you like to be liked yourself"-President Elect George W. Bush