Spells in Baldur´s gate

Is it possible to make spellcasting like in Baldur큦 Gate?
Your mage-person can remember 3 spells at once, and when he has used them up he would have to rest to relearn them.
With no spell points involved

------------------
"let큦 not bicker about
who killed who!
This is supposed to be
a happy day."

(This message has been edited by Knight of NI (edited 12-10-2000).)

I can't say that I know anything about this, but seeing as nobody's responded to this question, I'm writing to move this topic to the top in the hopes that people will voice their opinions on it. Here's what I think though: There are supposed to be projectile weapons, which would probably mean that you can have a bow with limited ammo. What you could do is maybe treat spells as ammo, and you automatically buy 1 ammo, with a maximum of 1, when you rest. You could then equip 3 spell "Bows" in whatever item slots you would be allowed. Maybe... I don't know for sure whether this would work in the game, but I had to make some kind of suggestion. I think that since there will be so many games out, any variety is welcome. All point-based spell systems would make for a more monotonous crop.

------------------
"Don't blame me, I voted with the majority!"

Coldstone should allow you to make your own calls on this subject. As Wandering_Slacker pointed out, you could use his method, or use whatever other methods are out there for getting the effect you want. Fundamentally, however, the people programming this game could add in a dialog box which would let you choose. That would be the simplest way to do it, however, you should be definetly allowed to call the shots.

-cybergnu

------------------

the mana or magic point system is far from boring in my mind, and the ammo spell system is interesting, and new(I'm guessing). I'm working on new ideas, cuz new is usually best heehee or not in my case.

------------------
Yeah I'm confused by
this signature thing...
Lorenoth? right...

I myself also like the mp/mana system a lot more than any other I've used. I wasn't suggesting that they were boring. In fact, I can't remember a game that included magic but used a different system that I really liked...The junction system in ff8 wasn't that great. That's the first example that comes to mind. However, the ammo system goes back to the days of Dungeons & Dragons, (I think), and it would be a grave mistake to deprive the militant D&D; fans of the ability to make a game as similar to D&D; rules as possible. Actually now that I think of it, in some more real time games, a charge bar like that in Dink Smalwood works fairly well. Pretty much what it does is when you use a spell the charge bar has to fill back up. However, there might be problems getting this to work especially well if you had a wide variety of spells. Then again, maybe not. I'm hoping that alternate magic systems will be possible. Anyone else have any ideas on what kind of non-mp system they'd like to see?

------------------
"Well you know that it's a fool who playes it cool by making his world a little colder."