Question.....

I was just wondering, can you make shareware games with Coldstone?

------------------

Is it possible to have built-in shareware limitations in a Coldstone game?

none of the admins have really answered this yet....but i dont see it as too hard to do......

------------------

If you can't here's an idea: You publish a limited version, and then when someone wants to register it you can e-mail the full version to them after they pay.

-Nova6

------------------

thats a simple way to do it, but i think ambrosia will put in a shareware limitation feature....but you should do what i do...make freeware

------------------

Naw, if the software is up to par, and you have put work into it, you should make some money from it.

------------------
"Bond, GlueBubble Bond."

Originally posted by theGlueBubble:
**Naw, if the software is up to par, and you have put work into it, you should make some money from it.

I agree.

------------------

no, i don't see it that way.......it's a measure of how much you love your creation to give it away...so that as many people as possible can enjoy it as well.........this isn't about money for me....it's for the love of crafting a game

"Virtue does not come from money, but rather from virtue comes money, and all other things good to man" -Socrates

Read into that as much as you want, it can go many ways...

------------------

Money comes not from virtue, but from a kick ass game. - GlueBubble

🙂

------------------
"Bond, GlueBubble Bond."

"Money comes not from virtue or vice, sweat or thought; it comes from taking advantage of being the right person in the right place at the right time, morally or amorally. Whether the profit is from the work of others or the selling of labor matters not, for money is money, be it a pound, schilling, or dollar."

That was actually attributed to "Anonymous". I don't know who they were or when they said it, but it even applies to some of the 'independantly wealthy' trust fund kiddies I knew in art school... (talentless) people who never had to work for a thing in their lives. I also know very talented and hard working people who have yet to see the fruits of their labor mainfest in proper monetary compensation; My experience has shown that it holds pretty true for the rest of us as well.

Being a starving artist sucks. If the work is good and enjoyment is derived from it, some form of compensation is only fair.

To be more on topic, the original question was answered both in the FAQ and in a thread very early in the message board. What mechanisms Coldstone will provide for shareware control I do not know, but unless your game uses little sound and much repitition on your graphics, CD is probably a better distribution method for the whole game; I would imagine a downloadable demo feature would be available.

------------------
--You notice that you have been turned into a pile of ashes.

(This message has been edited by sanehatter (edited 12-05-2000).)

yeah but back to what i was saying.....i feel it is a true measure of your value of something that you would simply give it away. If you truly feel your game meets all you expectation (and beats them), then money is simply not something that can be exchanged for something like that.....far more rewarding than the monetary aspects of game making is the gratitude of the gamer, that interaction is valuable in itself.......thats why I am a freeware developer and always will be.

------------------

Originally posted by Supersonic:
In addition, I plan on starving. Also, the work space under the bridge might be a bit cramped. It can't be helped though, what with the extension cord going to that d00d's house.

😛 🙂 😉

------------------
"Bond, GlueBubble Bond."

Good query...

I feel the option should be available. If you don't wan't/need it, fine; if you do, why should we have to learn programming just to prepare shareware code?

And yes, I agree that if you take enough pride in your work, you can offer it freely. Unfortunately, when you do take pride in something like that, you've spent plenty of time that could be used more productively; distributing freeware, especially on CD, doesn't pay for the fast food ;).