The future is in your hands now...

Hey,
I'm just going to get straight to the point: What do you, personally, think the official public release date of Coldstone is going to be? This question is for anybody and everybody. Please reply so if I don't get on the beta team I know when I can start working on a project cause it would be pointless to start a project to early, wouldn't it? Thanks for your time. PeAcE.
-PiLL

------------------
No guts, no glory.
No brains, same story.

you can NEVER start a project to early, Im looking at a ColdStone release date months from now and I am already making ready a game, there is so much you can do towards a game outside actually constructing it, like making a story line, world map, figuring out an interface and the like.....I started my game 2 weeks ago and i am no where near done with just the preparations for the ColdStone launch.

------------------

an ol' sayin' goes "a watched pot never boils"

a new one goes, "Rushed developer never finishes when you want to, shrug"

Some have tried to :rolleyes: sign petitions, :rolleyes: threaten not to buy,and tell a friend, :roleyes: and I'm sure some P.H.D. is out there holdon' his breath and swearing in his head. Don' throw a tantrum just relax and plan for the futer,...NOW...

...So Says The Chill!

As someone who has worked on numerous projects from a wide variety of media (art, design, indie film, music, among others), I would like to suggest that you can never start a project too early. You can most definately finish it too late, however. If you're not working with a deadline, then it is entirely possible to underfinish a project and it will stink like a dead fish.

My advice to you, even if you're not going to do anything else on your game yet, is to write a one-page synopsis of the story, an additional page describing your main characters, and maybe a paragraph describing how you want your art direction to go. Even beyond that, there is a lot of work you can do without the CGE.

Apparently Coldstone has recently hit the alpha mark, and while I'm hoping to be on the beta team, I'm not going to count on it. But, I've already started my first game; I have the story fleshed out, I've started to model characters in a 3-D program, I'm drawing maps in a sketchbook while I ride the subway to work, and I recently started writing dialogue. I know that before I get my hands on the CGE application, I can still finish up dialoge, get all my art ready, have maps done in detail, and write music.

Of course, it would be nice to get a full feature set for Coldstone, too, because it would suck to have a cool idea that the engine couldn't implement. 😃

------------------
--You notice that you have been turned into a pile of ashes.

I've started(almost finished) on maps too, but about writing music...
Do you know of any good programs that are downloadable and for Mac for writing music?
I been trying to find one but I can't.

------------------

Music??! Just find some good music or relevant music to your type of game. A few games even let the player decide what they will listen to during what time (realmz)

------------------
Had to alter sig because it was pissing me off

im just gonna find tonso old rpg midis and piece them together, maybe some lunar sountrack would work

------------------

Why not omit the music paly some soundfx long enough to set the mood, and let them play their CD's in the background...

...So Says The Chill, present and accounted for

------------------
Not dead, yet... He is here
I am the cure, So Says The Chill

no thats cheap, so says I

------------------

While Sound Effects may be more important overall, music can be very influential in setting a mood.
If I'm writing a horror game, for example, I'd rather have the player listen to some minor chords and a slow, haunting melody with some sinewy synth pads than have them listening to Bob Marley. It would kill the mood entirely.

If you don't care, of course, it seems you'll be able to give the player the option of turning it off.

To answer the question of software, it really depends on how you know how to make music, AND what formats the CGE will be able to utilize. Presuming CGE will let us use MP3 files and such, if you already have stuff to make noise with, I'd recommend getting Digidesign's ProTools FREE ( (url="http://"http://www.digidesign.com")http://www.digidesign.com(/url) ) and learning that. If you'd prefer something more like a tracker, check out Player PRO (um, go to versiontracker for that one...); if I remember correctly, the 8 release from the Beenox Solo days could utilize the formats Player PRO specializes in.

------------------
--You notice that you have been turned into a pile of ashes.

(This message has been edited by sanehatter (edited 11-20-2000).)