Music

Will it be possible to play MP3 music in the game? MIDI music is great and all, but it would be much more engaging to have the New York Philharmonic playing Holst's "Mars : Bringer of War" from the "Planets" in the background, rather than a synthesized variation. πŸ™‚

------------------
A Flute with no holes is
not a flute. A doughnut
with no holes.... is a
danish.

Originally posted by cws8484:
**Will it be possible to play MP3 music in the game? MIDI music is great and all, but it would be much more engaging to have the New York Philharmonic playing Holst's "Mars : Bringer of War" from the "Planets" in the background, rather than a synthesized variation.:)

Background music could (should?) be left to the player... The player can play any music they wish on any device at hand while playing the game. Perhaps music during the intro... Most newer computers (and expecially those with OS X) will be able to unnticeably multiprocess MP3 players while the game is running.

Sound effects/sounds that are closely woven into the game flow/plot are much more important than 'background' music if game size becomes a factor.

------------------
...it wasn't me...

The sound effects may come from a sampler from Coldstone along with a way to make your own. The music idea is good and should be looked into further. E-mail Dee about it to get direct answer.

------------------
Had to alter sig because it was pissing me off

Foley effects are definately a key point for setting a particular mood, and since sound design is one of those areas that most people are completely clueless about, I hope that for their sake, Ambrosia includes a halfway decent library of effects with the CGE. Then again, we're going to be hearing the same effects from game to game...

If anyone is interested, I'll write a short tutorial on Sound Design on the Cheap with Macs... while I've got ProTools, samplers, Metasynth, and other fun expensive toys/tools, You'd be amazed by what a Radio-Shack Mic, Your run-of-the-mill Mac, some freeware / shareware, and a little ingenuity can do.

As far as music, all the great console RPGs have it, so why can't we? Ever watch a film with and without the background music? You'll have two completely different experiences.

------------------

I think that the music is an eceptionally important part of an RPG. The tone of music can completely alter the mood or ambiance of a particular area, and fully sensationalize dramatic events. Although playing music in a background MP3 player may work for Strategy games like Myth, or first person shooters, Music in an RPG cannot be substituded with a predetermined song, or list there of. The music has to compliment the story and events in the game.

------------------
A Flute with no holes is
not a flute. A doughnut
with no holes.... is a
danish.

If Coldstone would incorporate quicktime it would be possible to do both MIDI and MP3 without writing vastly different code.

Of course Andrew has stated before the difficulties of incorportating mp3 in a game. In essence one needs to write a full mp3 player complete with playlists (even though they might be internalized) and needs to deal with a good way to switch between the mp3s.

Not a small undertaking.....

------------------
Les Harris
Übergeek
www.MacSlash.com

If you look at the most recent batch of screenshots, you would notice that one of them is of the editor describing the player's entry into a cave. It has (among other things) a bit of script that calls for cave music to be played. Guess that means that background music will be included in the engine. (of course, if it were not, game devolopers would lose a lot of dramatic possibilities that way)

-Andrew out.

------------------
"Question boldly even the very existance of a God, for if there is one he must surely apreciate the homage of Reason rather than a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson

Here is my thoughts on this matter. It's very close to essential. πŸ™‚ I would like to have bars where when you enter, you start getting some tunes from the band onstage. πŸ™‚ Can we get a confirmation from Dee or Andrew on whether this is going to happen?

------------------
The sentient Glue
Bubble waves to
everyone.

So if background music is already supported in the game, what format must it be imported in? Is it possible to convert an MP3 to this format with out me having to re-record it?

------------------
A Flute with no holes is
not a flute. A doughnut
with no holes.... is a
danish.

I'm going to make all the music for our new game. I'll make sure it's good πŸ™‚ (sorry to divert you from the topic, but it's just a little note to SB and DF :)).
~Gav

------------------
What's Bob Marley's favirout doughnut? --Jammin'
What does Bob Marley say when you eat a doughnut? --I hope ya like jammin' too
Sigh. Why do crap jokes exist?