ATTN: DEFCON Bug Reports

Mac OS X: 10.4.9 8P135
Hardware: Dual 2.7 Ghz Powermac G5, 2.5 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition (128 MB VRAM)
Bug description: Changing text size for a new style does not save

If you try and change the font size in the styles editor, they do not hold. They revert back to what they were before. This holds true even if you are saving into a new style and not the ones included with the game.

Mac OS X 10.4.9
Hardware: Mac mini Intel Core Solo 1.5 GHz 1.25GB RAM
Bug: Defcon crashes on startup every second time I start it. The times that it crashes it opens full-screen (even though I've told it to run windowed), goes through the splash screens ok and then crashes immediately after showing the main-menu. If I relaunch Defcon it opens (windowed and) does not crash.

Debug log: http://aoeu.ca/defco...sh_on_start.txt

Mac OS X 10.4.9
Bug: Defcon leaks a ton of memory, and even more when applying config changes

I launch Defcon and start a new game with just 1 CPU, "Activity Monitor" tells me Defcon is using:
130MB real (and rising about 1MB per 5 seconds), 500MB virtual (and rising)

If (in Defcon) I go to the menu, options, sound and hit apply the memory usage skyrockets. After pounding it about a dozen times I ended up with:
193.29MB real (still rising as fast as before), 1000MB virtual (and still rising)

@prock, on Apr 21 2007, 02:21 PM, said in ATTN: DEFCON Bug Reports:

Mac OS X 10.4.9

I launch Defcon and start a new game with just 1 CPU, "Activity Monitor" tells me Defcon is using:

If (in Defcon) I go to the menu, options, sound and hit apply the memory usage skyrockets. After pounding it about a dozen times I ended up with:
193.29MB real (still rising as fast as before), 1000MB virtual (and still rising)

Doing the "leaks" command line on DEFCON just on the main menu resulted in 2741 leaks.

Process 2624: 105852 nodes malloced for 142115 KB
Process 2624: 2741 leaks for 46304 total leaked bytes.

@prock, on Apr 21 2007, 03:21 PM, said in ATTN: DEFCON Bug Reports:

Mac OS X 10.4.9

Further to this, I don't even need to be in a game to get the options menu to leak (albeit not as badly). And it's not limited to the sound menu. I can just keep on hitting "Apply" for the screen menu and lose about 5-10MB each time.

Also, the "Memory Usage" reported in the sound menu is completely different than what Activity Monitor is showing me. The sound menu reports that the memory usage is 31.1Mb, but Activity Monitor says 165MB real plus 525MB virtual. I think I trust Activity Monitor a bit more.

Name, Rank, Serial Number: Muriac, Demo, none yet
Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2137)
Hardware: MacBook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 160GB drive, otherwise factory default
Bug: Scrolling up and down is possible at minimum zoom level on widescreen monitors. On both my 1280x800 and 1680x1050 monitors, Defcon displays black borders at the top and bottom of the map when I am zoomed out all the way. However, it is still possible to scroll up and down slightly. This appears to be a mistake for two reasons. First, there is no reason for the ability to scroll into black space (the full vertical gamut of the map is already visible). Second, when the game begins and is zoomed out all the way, it is not possible to scroll up and down. It is only after zooming in and then zooming out again that one is able to scroll up and down at minumum zoom. This change means that the issue could probably be fixed by allowing the player to zoom out to the level that the game begins at. Alternatively, vertical scrolling could simply be prevented once borders are visible at the top and bottom of the screen simultaneously.

@prock, on Apr 21 2007, 03:15 PM, said in ATTN: DEFCON Bug Reports:

Mac OS X 10.4.9
Bug: Defcon crashes on startup every second time I start it. The times that it crashes it opens full-screen (even though I've told it to run windowed), goes through the splash screens ok and then crashes immediately after showing the main-menu. If I relaunch Defcon it opens (windowed and) does not crash.

Debug log: http://aoeu.ca/defco...sh_on_start.txt

I've noticed that just before it crashes it has "Demo User" printed across the bottom of the screen even though I have a registered copy.

Mac OS X 10.4.8
Hardware: G4 Dual 1 GHz, 1.5GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 (PC & Mac Edition 256MB)
Bug Description: Advanced Options not remembered

At least the following settings in the Advanced Options menu are not remembered:
- setting Slowest Speed to PAUSE
- disabling Advertise, both Internet and LAN
- setting Spectators to zero
- closing a player slot (third down in my case)

These settings revert to defaults when starting a new game, even without exiting the program. Might they be manually added to my prefs file?

Also, even though there isn't a setting for it (that I can find), I really think the initial game speed should be 1x, not the 5x I always see.

@bobn, on Apr 21 2007, 10:20 PM, said in ATTN: DEFCON Bug Reports:

Mac OS X 10.4.8
Hardware: G4 Dual 1 GHz, 1.5GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 (PC & Mac Edition 256MB)
Bug Description: Advanced Options not remembered

At least the following settings in the Advanced Options menu are not remembered:
- setting Slowest Speed to PAUSE
- disabling Advertise, both Internet and LAN
- setting Spectators to zero
- closing a player slot (third down in my case)

These settings revert to defaults when starting a new game, even without exiting the program. Might they be manually added to my prefs file?

Also, even though there isn't a setting for it (that I can find), I really think the initial game speed should be 1x, not the 5x I always see.

This is the intended behaviour. If you feel like hacking around a bit, you can change it. In the app bundle, there is a file called "main.dat". main.dat is a .rar archive, which you extract using a program like UnRAR. In that archive, there is a file called "gameoptions.txt". Copy that to the data/ directory in the app bundle (the same place that e.g. styles are kept), and make any changes you like. The version in data/ should override the version in main.dat.

xander

@muriac, on Apr 21 2007, 02:38 PM, said in ATTN: DEFCON Bug Reports:

Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2137)
Bug: Scrolling up and down is possible at minimum zoom level on widescreen monitors. On both my 1280x800 and 1680x1050 monitors, Defcon displays black borders at the top and bottom of the map when I am zoomed out all the way. However, it is still possible to scroll up and down slightly. This appears to be a mistake for two reasons. First, there is no reason for the ability to scroll into black space (the full vertical gamut of the map is already visible). Second, when the game begins and is zoomed out all the way, it is not possible to scroll up and down. It is only after zooming in and then zooming out again that one is able to scroll up and down at minumum zoom. This change means that the issue could probably be fixed by allowing the player to zoom out to the level that the game begins at. Alternatively, vertical scrolling could simply be prevented once borders are visible at the top and bottom of the screen simultaneously.

Applies to 4:3 monitors as well such as mine which the resolution is 1600x1200.

Thanks, xander, that worked just fine (I won't bother to speculate on why it is "intended" to be this way).

Just in case there are any other AI players who might be interested, I accomplished all the changes I was looking for by modifying the following lines in gameoptions.txt (in all cases, the third number on the line was modified):

AdvertiseOnInternet 0 1 0 0
AdvertiseOnLAN 0 1 0 0
MaxTeams 1 6 2 1
GameSpeed 0 4 1 0 <see note>
SlowestSpeed 0 4 0 0
MaxSpectators 0 100 0 1

And in case you haven't yet changed styles, the data/ directory belongs just below Resources/, making the path: <Package Contents>/Resources/data/gameoptions.txt

edit: spoke too soon... setting GameSpeed to 1 as above locked it to real time. Setting it to zero allows all speed options to be selected; however, the game will then start at 5x time, and I see no way to change this. Not a big deal, I just find it a nuisance to have to remember to slow it down each time I start.

This post has been edited by bobn : 21 April 2007 - 08:27 PM

Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2137)
Bug: Screenshots are not saved anywhere. As far as I can tell, screenshots taken with the P key are not actually saved to disk. They do not appear in Defcon's Application support folder, nor inside the application bundle itself.

This post has been edited by Muriac : 21 April 2007 - 09:12 PM

@muriac, on Apr 22 2007, 02:12 AM, said in ATTN: DEFCON Bug Reports:

Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2137)
Bug: Screenshots are not saved anywhere. As far as I can tell, screenshots taken with the P key are not actually saved to disk. They do not appear in Defcon's Application support folder, nor inside the application bundle itself.

They are saved in your Pictures/ directory, as .bmps.

xander

Using G4 MDD, 2 Gb RAM, OS 10.4.9, Radeon 9000 Pro

I installed two mods in the correct folder, clicked the mod button and activated both, then clicked 'apply', a small window appeared listing the mods but the game then froze completely. I had to force quit. Tried several more times with same result.

No logs found

Cheers

This post has been edited by kelpie : 22 April 2007 - 02:47 PM

Try taking one of the mods out, I don't know how Defcon works but it might be possible to have mod conflicts like plug-in conflicts for EV Nova...

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 22 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

Thanks, it appears one of the mods was the problem.

My problem is that there are no words on my screen, as seen here: pic

My system specs:
G4 500MHz
512 MB RAM
16 MB VRAM

This post has been edited by poofy : 22 April 2007 - 10:11 PM

@prock, on Apr 21 2007, 03:21 PM, said in ATTN: DEFCON Bug Reports:

I believe what you're seeing is the sounds being loaded on-demand. For instance, if I leave DEFCON running in the lobby, it will grow steadily, and peak at about 160MB. Memory profiling confirms this is sound-related.

To some extent that's expected, since it restarts the sound system and thus causes more sounds to be loaded. That said, I suspect there's still a leak here.

Doing the "leaks" command line on DEFCON just on the main menu resulted in 2741 leaks.

sigh I know, and it really bugs me too. But they're all over the place, and even take together probably not enough of a problem to justify fixing. Other than the Sound Options dialog, and I don't think DEFCON has any really serious memory leaks left.

@kelpie, on Apr 22 2007, 04:19 PM, said in ATTN: DEFCON Bug Reports:

Thanks, it appears one of the mods was the problem.

That's still not supposed to happen, though. Which mods did you have loaded when you experienced the problem?

@poofy, on Apr 22 2007, 11:10 PM, said in ATTN: DEFCON Bug Reports:

My problem is that there are no words on my screen, as seen here: pic

My system specs:
G4 500MHz
512 MB RAM
16 MB VRAM

This happened to me too, but i'm on a 500 MHZ G3, so i assumed that was what was causing it. Guess not. Hey, maybe if someone can fix this i'll be able to play it on my lappy!