Newb - Introduction and Question

Hola everyone. Downloaded my demo copy a few days ago and made a registered version my payday present to myself.

As a longtime player of Lux, I'm a fan of all world-domination type games (hope that doesn't say too much about my personality) and am looking forward to getting into this one.

Two questions. 1. How populated/busy are the public server lists? I.e. will I be able to find games? and 2. What are these Global Thermonuclear War games I see everyone posting about?

Thanks!

~matt

@matt-d, on May 9 2008, 02:01 PM, said in Newb - Introduction and Question:

1. How populated/busy are the public server lists? I.e. will I be able to find games?

There are generally games going on. Though, if you have the demo version, then you can already hit the metaserver and see how many games are going on. The games listed on the metaserver are no different for the demo and full versions of the game. If you want to arrange a game, you might try posting in the Introversion DEFCON forums, or asking about on IRC (irc.ambrosia.net #defcon or irc.uplinkcorp.net #defcon).

@matt-d, on May 9 2008, 02:01 PM, said in Newb - Introduction and Question:

2. What are these Global Thermonuclear War games I see everyone posting about?

It is a variation of Mafia, or the Werewolf Game ( http://en.wikipedia....ki/Mafia_(game) ). It is a forum game, nothing more, nothing less. You are welcome to play in the next round.

xander

A slightly more detailed description of GTW is that it's a mind game, based on the concept of voting out players with the goal of finding and eliminating the bad guys, who will kill one of the good guys each turn. The issue is that nobody knows what role others are playing, an innocent doesn't who is a terrorist that they should vote for, and also cannot prove their innocence (how would they prove it?). There can be complicated special roles that can find out what someone is, protect someone from the bad guys or from the vote for one round, etc, but that's the basic idea. Quite fun, but it can be confusing at times. Worth a try if you're into such things.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! Enjoy your stay here.