HELP... Can not authenticate or see public servers

Suddenly DEFCON is not authenticating or seeing the list of public servers for me. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone know of a solution?

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.2. Airport Extreme Basestation. DSL modem.

I have not changed any settings and have been using DEFCON fine for a year, then 3 days ago it stopped working for me. Current.net is my ISP.

Any help is most appreciated.

If DEFCON is not authenticating, then either you key has expired, or you are not connecting to the Metaserver. As you cannot see other games being listed, I would imagine that the problem is the latter, rather than the former. I would double check all of your firewall settings, and make sure that DEFCON can get out. I would also check your DEFCON network settings -- try port forwarding, for instance, and see if that helps. Check the firewall on your DSL modem (there should be instructions online somewhere), and make sure that it is allowing servers to connect to DEFCON. After you have done all of that, if you are still having trouble, find your logs, as described in this post, and post them here.

xander

@darwinian, on Apr 4 2008, 05:24 PM, said in HELP... Can not authenticate or see public servers:

If DEFCON is not authenticating, then either you key has expired, or you are not connecting to the Metaserver. As you cannot see other games being listed, I would imagine that the problem is the latter, rather than the former. I would double check all of your firewall settings, and make sure that DEFCON can get out. I would also check your DEFCON network settings -- try port forwarding, for instance, and see if that helps. Check the firewall on your DSL modem (there should be instructions online somewhere), and make sure that it is allowing servers to connect to DEFCON. After you have done all of that, if you are still having trouble, find your logs, as described in this post, and post them here.

xander

Sorry but my problem persists. My firewall settings are set to allow all applications access. My router has no specific port mapping settings set up, never did before. I checked with my ISP and nothing has changed, although they did open all ports on my user to make sure there were no blocked ports on their end. I have my logs as you suggested but I do not see a way of attaching them to this forum. Please advise.

Can you see any private servers or direct connect to any?

@mackilroy, on Apr 8 2008, 12:36 AM, said in HELP... Can not authenticate or see public servers:

Can you see any private servers or direct connect to any?

no, no servers appear when I click Join Game. This just started happening last week, nothing I am aware of had changed.

So i haven't been able to play in about 3 weeks because of this technical issue. I have tried everything, I called my ISP and had them open all ports, I have given firewall permissions to my Airport and system preferences specific to Defcon and the preferred ports. I enabled NAT port mapping. I have enabled port forwarding and tried turning all ports to 0 in the game. No combination of things tried has worked.

To reiterate what is wrong, after over a year of zero problems, suddenly I could not see the list of servers and my authentication status is "Unknown". I suspect this is a compatibility issue with the latest OSX release but I am not getting much help from Ambrosia. If you read this and know how to fix this issue and are good with OSX, I would be happy to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Have you downgraded or installed Defcon on any other computers available to you? It might help, but I'm not sure how, as I can see servers under 10.5.2 and the latest release of Defcon.

@mackilroy, on Apr 23 2008, 09:45 PM, said in HELP... Can not authenticate or see public servers:

Have you downgraded or installed Defcon on any other computers available to you? It might help, but I'm not sure how, as I can see servers under 10.5.2 and the latest release of Defcon.

Downgraded my OS? No. I have no other options for installing on other machines. It was just a theory, it could be an ISP issue. Like I posted, I have tried nearly everything. Do you use an Airport Extreme?

Do you play any other games online? Do they work? Do you use Little Snitch?

As far as I know, there are no known issues with DEFCON and OS X 10.5.2

Yes, I've got an Airport Extreme-the 802.11n model.

@nfreader, on Apr 23 2008, 10:45 PM, said in HELP... Can not authenticate or see public servers:

Do you play any other games online? Do they work? Do you use Little Snitch?

As far as I know, there are no known issues with DEFCON and OS X 10.5.2

I play no other online games. I do not know about Little Snitch.

@mackilroy, on Apr 23 2008, 10:54 PM, said in HELP... Can not authenticate or see public servers:

Yes, I've got an Airport Extreme-the 802.11n model.

What are your airport and security settings?

I use WPA2 Personal, everything else is pretty much standard.

Hi Nuclerica,

I'm the DEFCON maintainer here at Ambrosia. We're planning on doing another patch release in the near future, so if the bug is in DEFCON then we'll be able to fix it. In the mean time, I will try to put to together a test app for you to see where the problem lies.

@electrolite, on Apr 24 2008, 11:41 AM, said in HELP... Can not authenticate or see public servers:

Hi Nuclerica,

I'm the DEFCON maintainer here at Ambrosia. We're planning on doing another patch release in the near future, so if the bug is in DEFCON then we'll be able to fix it. In the mean time, I will try to put to together a test app for you to see where the problem lies.

THANKS