Modem troubles

I'm using a iBook (1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 with 1GB DDR SDRAM, OS version 10.4.9)
and a 2Wire 1701HG Gateway modem with a DSL connection (software version 3.17.5, no upgrades currently available)

Sometimes this happens when I attempt to join a game, sometimes when someone attempts to join my game, and sometimes in the middle of a game. I've only tried 2 player games so far, and it's both worked and not worked with the same person. The only time it's guaranteed to not be a problem is if I'm playing a solo game.

What happens is that the broadband connection just dies out. The "broadband link" light on the modem either goes out completely or flashes yellow (instead of a constant green). And ALL internet connectivity is lost. If I quite Defcon, it comes back on in about 30 seconds.
(There is another computer connected to the modem, and it's internet is also lost).

I've tried changing port configurations, going wireless and with an ethernet connection... although I believe the problem occurs at the modem.

Any idea what I could do? I really like the game, but playing solo has gotten a bit old.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Richard

I remember, back when I was in college, that the local network wasn't properly configured to allow the constant information streams that some online games required, in which case your modem is fine and it's your ISP to blame.

The biggest question I'd look at is whether or not this happens at any other time besides attempted DEFCON games.

And welcome to the boards! I hope someone more knowledgable than myself will be able to help you out, but it may only take a phone call to your ISP to set things straight.

This post has been edited by GutlessWonder : 09 June 2007 - 06:24 PM