Music

Can i get it from the game?

So, having played DEFCON once or twice, i've realized that the music is cool. OK, that sounds a bit odd, but you get it. My question is, is there a MAC program i can use to open up the .dat files and get the music from? Thanks in advance,

Pi

All of the .dat files are .rar archives. They can be unpacked with a utility such as UnRAR. You may have to change the file extension first. You could also just buy the soundtrack. 😉

xander

Thanks, darwinian. Goes to download UnRAR Oh, buying the soundtrack? That would require money... And besides, not half as fun.

@pisketch, on Apr 23 2007, 07:58 PM, said in Music:

Thanks, darwinian. Goes to download UnRAR Oh, buying the soundtrack? That would require money... And besides, not half as fun.

Yeah, but the sound quality is better, and the tracks flow together better. 😉

xander

Eh, sound quality, who needs it. Though, it is annoying to be unable to convert the files from .ogg... Audacity can't do it, for whatever reason. The fun part still stands though.

I don't even hear the music. I suppose it's there and I hear it if I try, but otherwise it's just in the background.

I agree that the soundtrack is very good for a game like DEFCON.

About the music:
On the windows version there are choral additions to the soundtrack, I'm not getting any on my mac version. Also a lot of coughing on the mac version.....is this the way its supposed to be?

@imr, on May 13 2007, 05:42 PM, said in Music:

About the music:
On the windows version there are choral additions to the soundtrack, I'm not getting any on my mac version.

That is very odd, considering that the same sound files are being used. If you have the Windows version available to you, you could replace sounds.dat from the Mac version (it is in the app bundle) with sounds.dat from the Windows version. See if that makes any difference. I don't think it will, but what the heck?

@imr, on May 13 2007, 05:42 PM, said in Music:

Also a lot of coughing on the mac version.....is this the way its supposed to be?

Most of the background sounds are linked to what is going on in the game. If you heard more coughing than usual, it might be because some game condition was different. Again, the same files are being used, so I don't think that there should be any differences. Personally, I think I would just chalk it up to observer bias.

xander