Return of the Pen

Lamkin, how do you post a screenshot?

QUOTE (Odie @ Jun 13 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lamkin, how do you post a screenshot?

Basically, upload the screenshot using QuickShareIt; then copy that url and paste it between image tags in your post.

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 13 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (Lamkin @ Jun 13 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ugh...Now the red gun is gone. :mad:

What!!?
:unsure:
Not on my computer!

QUOTE (Klublex @ Jun 13 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What!!?
:unsure:
Not on my computer!

I can see the gun in the editor, but, using the most recent version, it's failed to appear twice now while playing the level. (I'd played it again just to see if I was mistaken.)

QUOTE (Lamkin @ Jun 13 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can see the gun in the editor, but, using the most recent version, it's failed to appear twice now while playing the level. (I'd played it again just to see if I was mistaken.)

Hmmm, I'm really sorry about that. It sounds really frustrating. I'm afraid I'll have to just say see if you can figure it out with the editor, (maybe it's Extra2-linked to something you already destroyed...Wait a sec! It is! Slaps myself in face Change it's Extra2 link to something different and that should fix it. My editor shuts down again when I open the level, so I can't change it myself. 😞 Could you send me the updated copy, or post it? (Make sure you also switch the Extra2 link of the pulsing attachments, too.) Thanks a ton.

Klublex

QUOTE (Lamkin @ Jun 13 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basically, upload the screenshot using QuickShareIt; then copy that url and paste it between image tags in your post.

So.... download quickshareit, and then..... what? Sorry, I've never even heard of quickshareit before, so I have no idea what I'm doing.

QUOTE (Odie @ Jun 14 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So.... download quickshareit, and then..... what? Sorry, I've never even heard of quickshareit before, so I have no idea what I'm doing.

It can be a bit confusing...

1. After opening up QuickShareIt, go to File→Open and navigate to the file that you want to upload. (I always keep the screenshot/image on my desktop.)

2. Once QuickShareIt has uploaded the file, a dialog box will appear and you'll want to click on Open URL. (You can merely copy the url to the clipboard, but I'm finding that that doesn't always work properly.) Opening the url will take you to a page (or tab) that displays the image.

3. Highlight the entire url and copy it.

4. Reply to a post and click the little Insert Image button (located under Fonts).

5. Choose Editβ†’Paste (or ⌘V) and you're done.

QUOTE (Lamkin @ Jun 13 2009, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Klublex @ Jun 14 2009, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm, I'm really sorry about that. It sounds really frustrating. I'm afraid I'll have to just say see if you can figure it out with the editor, (maybe it's Extra2-linked to something you already destroyed...Wait a sec! It is! Slaps myself in face Change it's Extra2 link to something different and that should fix it. My editor shuts down again when I open the level, so I can't change it myself. 😞 Could you send me the updated copy, or post it? (Make sure you also switch the Extra2 link of the pulsing attachments, too.) Thanks a ton.

Klublex

I apologize if I'd sounded nasty. πŸ˜‰
Anyway, I've fixed the red gun, but now the save ring is visible, so I'll have to fix that too.
I would have uploaded the file, but I'd played the rest of the level in order to make sure that it could be finished and I'd found a couple more problems:
After defeating the final boss, for some reason there's a huge black square that's covering the text, and the Hall of Fame has one of these squares as well.
I'm not at all sure how to get rid of those, so let me know what you think and I'll see if I can (carefully) fix it.
I've attached a screenshot.

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 29 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

Now I can answer that. He was trying to change the type of object he was placing in the editor, and accidently clicked on the background, creating a black, background paper square. It isn't visible in the editor until you re-auto background. Once you do that, unlock layer one, and delete the square.

QUOTE (Odie @ Jun 14 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was trying to change the type of object he was placing in the editor, and accidently clicked on the background, creating a black, background paper square. It isn't visible in the editor until you re-auto background. Once you do that, unlock layer one, and delete the square.

Yes, yes...I had thought so, too, but I'd checked and that wasn't/isn't the case here, and you only see it once the boss is defeated. (You'd see it all the time otherwise, I believe.)

I'll see what more I can find out. Stay tuned...

Edit: What's happening is that, once the boss is defeated, the tile of graph paper which had been covering the text (which basically claims "You've defeated the boss!"), instead of disappearing, turns black; it turns black at the exact same moment (and in the exact same way) that the boss turns black when it dies, yet it doesn't disappear and just stays put. (Actually, I'd figured this out before, but I wasn't entirely sure.)

Any ideas on how to fix this? (It would be a rather cool effect, so it'd be nice to get it to work.)

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 14 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Lamkin @ Jun 14 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, yes...I had thought so, too, but I'd checked and that wasn't/isn't the case here, and you only see it once the boss is defeated. (You'd see it all the time otherwise, I believe.)

I'll see what more I can find out. Stay tuned...

Edit: What's happening is that, once the boss is defeated, the tile of graph paper which had been covering the text (which basically claims "You've defeated the boss!"), instead of disappearing, turns black; it turns black at the exact same moment (and in the exact same way) that the boss turns black when it dies, yet it doesn't disappear and just stays put. (Actually, I'd figured this out before, but I wasn't entirely sure.)

Any ideas on how to fix this? (It would be a rather cool effect, so it'd be nice to get it to work.)

Oops :rolleyes:

I don't know how to fix that. I tried the same thing in my still progressing epic, and I couldn't make it work.

QUOTE (Odie @ Jun 14 2009, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know how to fix that. I tried the same thing in my still progressing epic, and I couldn't make it work.

Yeah, I don't think it's possible. I've already tried quite a few different things, but it seems that a background tile can't be tied to a boss via an Extra2 link.
😞

Let me know what you'd like me to do, Klublex. (Also keep in mind that this problem occurs in two separate spots.)

Hey Klublex, I think I solved your red gun problem, and the issue where the player is trapped. Please download this, and tell me if you like my solution. I was able to open the file with the editor.

EDIT: NOOOOOOOO!!!!! I got past the mess monster, and just now got to the shield upgrade. I grabbed it, went forward and.......... Pop. The game crashed. 30 minutes of my life, wasted 😞

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Odie : 14 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

Okay, I might have found a way (thanks to one of pi-sketch's levels) to make the words appear. Try this level.

Attached File(s)

QUOTE (Odie @ Jun 14 2009, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Klublex, I think I solved your red gun problem, and the issue where the player is trapped. Please download this, and tell me if you like my solution. I was able to open the file with the editor.

EDIT: NOOOOOOOO!!!!! I got past the mess monster, and just now got to the shield upgrade. I grabbed it, went forward and.......... Pop. The game crashed. 30 minutes of my life, wasted 😞

Whew. I'm back. Sorry, I haven't checked the boards for a while because I've been very into creating my next level, another big one. Hey, what can I say, I was inspired. πŸ™‚

Odie, that was the exact same spot that the game crashed when I played. I think this level is jinxed. I haven't downloaded your updated file yet; I'll tell you when I do.

Lamkin, I'm glad to hear that you managed to get to the end, and I hope you enjoyed the level, despite it's, er, problems. 😊 As for the paper, I will see if I can get the level open in the editor, and experiment around with it. Thanks for all the help. If you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me!

By the way, if I seem a bit crazy, it's probably because I have a huge lump on the center of my forehead. I stepped on a rake yesterday. It came up and knocked me out. It was not fun. Or funny, for that matter, though my brother caught a heck of a laugh out of it. <_<

Klublex

QUOTE (Odie @ Jun 15 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, I might have found a way (thanks to one of pi-sketch's levels) to make the words appear. Try this level.

Thanks, Odie. PiSketch has some pretty ingenious ideas, doesn't he? πŸ™‚ I managed to open up Return of the Pen in the editor and found what all the problems were. It makes perfect sense now. The graph paper is non-solid, and non-solid things always turn black but are not deleted when they are Extra2d. Both papers turned black because they were directly Extra2d to the Pen. I parent-child linked each of the papers to an enemy solid-state hash with the Pen's Extra2, so that the hash would be deleted and so would the papers. Fixed! πŸ˜„ I also figured out the problem with the red gun. The pipe was solid and so when I put an Extra2 on it, it was not deleted but just made non-solid. This meant that the wall still existed, blocking the path. When I changed the pipe to enemy solid-state, it's Extra2 would make it disappear, and so the wall would be destroyed, too. I'm pretty sure now that everything works. This is the updated and (hopefully) final copy. Thanks for all the help!

Klublex

Attached File(s)

QUOTE (Klublex @ Jun 15 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lamkin, I'm glad to hear that you managed to get to the end, and I hope you enjoyed the level, despite it's, er, problems.

I liked the level quite a bit; I honestly hadn't very much at first, but the thing kept growing on me. (I saw that I'm even on display, as it were.) πŸ™‚
It's really good to hear that you've solved all of the level's problems, too.

PS Always be on the lookout for errant rakes.
PPS Could you perhaps e-mail me a copy of The Dark Stars of Mordral? (For whatever reason, the thing refuses to download off of the add-on files page.)

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 16 June 2009 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (Lamkin @ Jun 15 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I liked the level quite a bit; I honestly hadn't very much at first, but the thing kept growing on me. (I saw that I'm even on display, as it were.) πŸ™‚
It's really good to hear that you've solved all of the level's problems, too.

PS Always be on the lookout for errant rakes.
PPS Could you perhaps e-mail me a copy of The Dark Stars of Mordral? (For whatever reason, the thing refuses to download off of the add-on files page.)

Sure, though it's not much of a level, just a shorty I cooked up.

Klublex

About the weird paper-square-disappearing thing above. does the graph paper have the same EX2 as the boss? Or maybe is it's name Boss Door (1,2,3,4)?
Maybe...?

-K

QUOTE (Kasofa1 @ Jun 20 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About the weird paper-square-disappearing thing above. does the graph paper have the same EX2 as the boss?
-K

Yeah, that was the problem. I forgot to EX2 link it to a parent of the paper. Anyway, it's been fixed now. Has anyone made all the way through, and if so, could you tell me if it's ready for the add-ons page?

Thanks,
Klublex