Full Cardboard Jacket

Lamkin's eleventh level...

Full Cardboard Jacket. It's war! Your mission is to find the secret enemy plans for the SketchFighter 4000 Dual power edition ship; upgrade your ship; then escape via the airstrip.
This one is by far my favorite of any of the levels I've previously created. It was also the most difficult for me to finish playing. (It's a pretty hard level.) I'm actually contemplating writing a ReadMe file for this because it's a bit complex, but I need to state a few things (regarding the use of missiles) immediately here in this post:
First of all, health (located in the ammo dump) does not require the firing of any missiles in order to obtain it. Secondly, the brick bunkers are vulnerable only to missiles (targeted at a certain spot from above them). Thirdly, the MEGA (or skull) turrets can be destroyed by missiles.

Lamkin

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 02 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

Way to sprite intensive! :mad:
so I can't even get off the beach (I know how, but my computer is lagging a whole lot)
looks great, but I just can't play it!
other than that, great level.

extremlannoyd!
-K

This post has been edited by Kasofa1 : 02 August 2008 - 10:40 AM

@kasofa1, on Aug 2 2008, 08:40 AM, said in Full Cardboard Jacket:

Way to sprite intensive! :mad:
so I can't even get off the beach (I know how, but my computer is lagging a whole lot)
looks great, but I just can't play it!

extremlannoyd!
-K

Here is a modified version that should play acceptably on just about every computer. 🙂
Lamkin

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 02 August 2008 - 12:02 PM

Haha, that's pretty hard.

I had no problems with the number of sprites (though I'm playing on a Mac Pro...) I just kept dying over and over.

@mackilroy, on Aug 2 2008, 09:54 AM, said in Full Cardboard Jacket:

I just kept dying over and over.

Mack, were you even able to get off the beach? (I don't want the very beginning of the level to prove too frustrating for people to get past.)
Also, I was wondering if anyone was asking themselves, "What the heck is that ugly orange thing on the beach?" 🙂
Lamkin

I played this a few days ago but forgot to post. Great level, but like many before you Lam I think you've overestimated the average player's combat prowess against small and fast enemies and accidentally unleashed "demon flickers" on the world. Demon flickers (the term first used by Edwards I believe) are flickers with enormously large HP. Seeing as how the damage they deal on impact is relative to their own HP, two or more colliding with the player often results in death all 'round. Designers often underestimate the danger flickers can prevent in a tight corridor, so it's nothing new, but I recommend reducing their HP significantly before submitting the level to the add ons page.

Other than that, this level is one of my all time favs. The graphics are as nice as they were in the preview. 🙂

This post has been edited by Silverwind : 04 August 2008 - 04:12 PM

Nope, Lamkin, I was never able to get off the beach. That's more my own fault though. 😉 If I think it through a bit I'm sure I'll be able to get off the beach.

@mackilroy, on Aug 4 2008, 02:38 PM, said in Full Cardboard Jacket:

Nope, Lamkin, I was never able to get off the beach. That's more my own fault though. 😉 If I think it through a bit I'm sure I'll be able to get off the beach.

Look closely around the "sandbags," Mack. 😉

Lamkin

Demon flickers

:laugh: That just sounds so funny.
Great level Lamkin! (again)
And I know what the funky orange thing on the beach is! Its some funky metal thing! (I'm so smart)

-K

@silverwind, on Aug 4 2008, 02:11 PM, said in Full Cardboard Jacket:

Great level, but like many before you Lam I think you've overestimated the average player's combat prowess against small and fast enemies and accidentally unleashed "demon flickers" on the world. Demon flickers (the term first used by Edwards I believe) are flickers with enormously large HP. Seeing as how the damage they deal on impact is relative to their own HP, two or more colliding with the player often results in death all 'round. Designers often underestimate the danger flickers can prevent in a tight corridor, so it's nothing new, but I recommend reducing their HP significantly before submitting the level to the add ons page.

Other than that, this level is one of my all time favs. The graphics are as nice as they were in the preview. 🙂

Silverwind,
Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you liked it. This level was very close to how I drew my own "battle scenes" when I was a kid.
I had noticed while playing during the preview stage that the flickers seemed to cause quite a bit more damage than in the basic game itself, and I completely agree that the Extra1 value is too high for most players. I guess I chose to leave it that way because, not only were there only a handful of them, but (more importantly) once you trigger switches...then save...you don't have to do it all over again if your ship explodes. Unfortunately, however, the level has already been uploaded, and I bug Mack way too much as it is to ask him to post it again. 😊
Lamkin

@kasofa1, on Aug 4 2008, 03:25 PM, said in Full Cardboard Jacket:

I know what the funky orange thing on the beach is! Its some funky metal thing! (I'm so smart)

-K

Yep. I stole...I mean borrowed the thing from Saving Private Ryan , actually. Yes, I know that doesn't jibe with the Kubrick tribute and title twist, not to mention the whole Vietnam war, but I thought those things looked so dang treacherous in Spielberg's World War II film.

Lamkin

I fixed the flicker problem... 🙂
If you care to, you can download version 1.0.1 here:

Attached File(s)

After dying tons of times, I managed to make to the part with the skull turrets. I managed to pick up one of the red "buttons" and then just got too darn frustrated by those mines that you couldn't shoot! Very clever, though and awesome graphics. 🙂 I don't have the patience (or time) to make things so detailed in my levels.

Great level,
Klublex

@klublex, on Aug 7 2008, 04:29 PM, said in Full Cardboard Jacket:

After dying tons of times, I managed to make to the part with the skull turrets. I managed to pick up one of the red "buttons" and then just got too darn frustrated by those mines that you couldn't shoot! Very clever, though and awesome graphics. 🙂 I don't have the patience (or time) to make things so detailed in my levels.

Great level,
Klublex

Klublex,
Thanks for the comments. I actually quite enjoy making most of the graphics, but it does require some degree of patience. The mines that you couldn't shoot could, of course (as I'm sure you realized), only be triggered by the proximity ( not the pellets or missiles) of your ship. (Plus, the level doesn't get any easier once you move past those skull turrets.) 😉
So, it's a very difficult level, but I'm able to complete it in about twenty-five minutes now.

Lamkin

I found something funny, on my super-slow computer, I made it past that force field near the skull turrets, and got to the 'battlefield' place with the fighters. XD
Great concept, I still can't beat it, but I don't care.
Awesome!

-K

Only a mere 32,000 (approximately) more downloads before Full Cardboard Jacket eclipses the number of downloads for the mighty SketchFighter game itself! (It could happen.) :huh: 😉

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 30 August 2008 - 09:47 PM