Pac-man (preview)

Lamkin level preview...

Pac-Man. It's kind of an early preview.
As stated in the other topic on this level, most of the dots are currently still blue, and the corners aren't rounded yet. I'm having some culling difficulties, along with some odd "mirroring" behavior every so often. Also, the walls aren't yet strong enough. (I'm eventually going to place invisible walls for reinforcement, and I'll attempt to fix the culling errors.) Only one ghost is in the maze now, but the other three will be there before long. (The other ghosts are milling around the outside of the maze for now, but you can visit them if you wish.) The dots are as big as they're going to get, but they won't pick up as easily as I'd hoped. I was going to have Pac trapped in the ghost house/fort, with the white door finally opening when you ate the last remaining dot, but the white doors (one layered on top of the other for each dot) turn black after picking up most of the dots.
Any comments and suggestions are encouraged...
🙂
Lamkin

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 06 August 2008 - 02:49 AM

I think that the culling problems are from there being to many sprites (it runs fine, its just kinda big)
For the doors to disappear, you need to make them either enemy or pickup type sprites.
you can use the 'Mini Map Cover' sprite to make 'pixels' (it works pretty well)

Hope these help!
-K

Thanks for the feedback, Kasofa. The doors had all been solid, so I'll switch them to enemy and see what happens. Some of the walls were made using gun beams that were so long that they caused the culling problems. (I don't think the number of sprites has anything to do with the culling problems, although that weird "mirroring" thing might be the result of there being too many sprites in a single row or column.) Also, I'm wondering if there shouldn't be just a handful of enemies in the level. (Nothing too difficult, and I'd give the player the beam gun.) Plus, I think the level could be timed, even though the actual Pac-Man game itself is not. One last thing is that I'd like to make each of the four so-called power pellets a save station that can be used only once. (I'll have to peak into Silverwind's level to see just how he did that.)

Lamkin

I finally finished the basic layout of the maze. Again, all the dots will be changed to their correct color, and the corners will appear rounded when the level is completed. (Anyone know what color the dots are supposed to be, exactly?)
Here's a link to the latest picture:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lamkin11/Vikin...308569617127138

For some strange reason, I now have the urge to go to an arcade. 😉

Lamkin

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 08 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

@lamkin, on Aug 8 2008, 07:33 PM, said in Pac-man (preview):

I finally finished the basic layout of the maze. Again, all the dots will be changed to their correct color, and the corners will appear rounded when the level is completed. (Anyone know what color the dots are supposed to be, exactly?)
Here's a link to the latest picture:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lamkin11/Vikin...308569617127138

For some strange reason, I now have the urge to go to an arcade. 😉

Lamkin

If you look up 'Pac-Man' on Wikipidia, you can get some pretty good pics. I'm pretty sure the dots are supposed to be white (There are other unlicensed versions with colors like orange and stuff)
Hope this helps!

-K

The maze is all done except for adding a few power pellets. (The dots were limited in number to only 200.)
Below is a link to the latest picture. What do you think, Kasof...I mean, everyone? 😉
http://picasaweb.google.com/lamkin11/Vikin...663531317268306

Also, at the bottom here is the level...I'd like to know how fast or slow it runs on a few machines. (The white ghost house doors aren't all finished yet, however.)

Lamkin

Attached File(s)

wow, awesome picture! Look's almost exactly like the real Pacman!
Unfortunately, I am only allowed 45 minutes of "computer time" a day, and I spend most of that time working my level Iceberg Fortress, so I haven't been able to try the Pacman level yet. 😞

Hope you'll finish it soon!

Klublex