Apple Store (preview)

A Lamkin level (preview)

Steve Jobs has apparently decided to open a new Apple store in Sketchtopia. It's not quite ready, however.
Again, please let me know what you think. (Yes, I agree that Steve should be paying me for this.)

(Edited because I've added an elevator and made a much better escalator...)

Lamkin

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 14 July 2008 - 05:46 AM

Another update on the level.
(Some people do Sudoku, or crossword or jigsaw puzzles...I do this.)
😉
Lamkin

(Edited because the level is finished... except for any and all enemies...which will include a boss a bit more complicated than the current bug mini I'm using to test the doors and health-bar. Also, for general level editing information, having many Super Force Fields culled together causes a much bigger drain on the processor's power than I would have guessed. Kasofa, the level has no switches. 😛
Anyway, here is the updated attachment:

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 16 July 2008 - 12:02 PM

I already tried the previous version of this, and it's WAAAAAY to sprite intensive for my wimpy dual-450mhz processor computer
I can get to the elevator, then my computer slows ALL the way down.
Dead stop.
and I have a small short level with the elevator idea FIRST! 😛
not that I care...
cool idea. I hope other people like it!
HUMPH! no switches

This post has been edited by Kasofa1 : 15 July 2008 - 05:41 PM

Kasofa1,
Of course you realize that I honestly didn't see your elevator idea previously, as I would have given you credit for it in the post. I did have a feeling something like it must have been done before, however. I'd like to see your level which has it. So, thanks for not minding. You are the mover king, I think. 😉
It makes sense that the level would have come to a complete stop on your computer, as it barely runs on mine sans enemies. (Although I bet it won't run with them.) I had had some Super Force Fields by the elevator that I had to remove because my computer (700 MHz) stopped dead when playing the level. (I even had to force quit the game.) I hope you liked the escalator, though it probably appeared as if it were barely moving on your machine. Also, I laughed about your switches comment. Doing the circuitry for those switches is a pain even for me.

Lamkin

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 15 July 2008 - 10:42 PM

Apple Store has been changed around a bit, as some ideas had to be dropped. The level still has no enemies in it yet (except the boss, which is final, finished, etc., in this version). I'd be somewhat interested to know how the level would play on at least a 1GHz machine. (Sorry Kasofa!) Regardless, I'll probably have the whole thing completed by the start of the weekend. Thanks...

Lamkin

Attached File(s)

I downloaded the version of this in the first post (yeah, that download belongs to me) and it worked quite alright on my 1.25 GHz G4. shrugs I guess that since I've got a slick Mac now that I like to gloat about it. 😄

Downloading now...

edit: Oh yikes... It's jumpy on my machine, but only while the "Sketchfighter" logo is in view and during the boss fight when he's in view. (It stops when his shield gets destroyed.) Otherwise I'd call this a very good sketchmap. I can see where you're going to put enemies, and I like your elevator. 🙂

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 16 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

Thanks Jaca...I had hoped you would post. That's not good to hear that it slowed down that much even on your machine, too. (However, I have found that after a reboot, any given level works a bit better and as smooth as it possibly can. So, you might try that.) The SketchFighter logo is meant to cover part of the escalator mover. I could have placed just a matching cardboard background tile...I still might, but that seems so boring and odd, and it still seems to slow down play a lot. As far as the boss (room) is concerned, perhaps I'll 86 most of the "brick" walls there in lieu of Wasteland walls, as I believe that should easily take care of that problem. I'm glad you like the level, and I wish it would play on much slower (cough...Kasofa...cough) Macs.
🙂

Lamkin

i actually managed to finish this. it is kinda interesting. still REALLY choppy, but playable (with LOTS of pausing)
Cool concept. it took me 8 minutes to finish.

"I wish it would play on much slower (cough...Kasofa...cough) Macs." RollsEyesLoudly

@kasofa1, on Jul 18 2008, 01:17 PM, said in Apple Store (preview):

i actually managed to finish this. it is kinda interesting. still REALLY choppy, but playable (with LOTS of pausing)
Cool concept. it took me 8 minutes to finish.

"I wish it would play on much slower (cough...Kasofa...cough) Macs." RollsEyesLoudly

Ha ha! I'd wondered if you'd catch that remark about your computer. 🙂
Thanks for the comments, Kasofa. It's quite slow for me as well, although I've found that when I quit firing, the game runs better, which allows me to move into position to fire again. The level seemed to run no faster without that big SketchFighter graphic there, so I kept it. (However, having those two "plants" by the entrance wasn't necessary.)
By the way, I hope you like my new avatar, as it reminds me of the angry cutie.
Lamkin

@lamkin, on Jul 18 2008, 02:54 PM, said in Apple Store (preview):

Ha ha! I'd wondered if you'd catch that remark about your computer. 🙂
Thanks for the comments, Kasofa. It's quite slow for me as well, although I've found that when I quit firing, the game runs better, which allows me to move into position to fire again. The level seemed to run no faster without that big SketchFighter graphic there, so I kept it. (However, having those two "plants" by the entrance wasn't necessary.)
By the way, I hope you like my new avatar, as it reminds me of the angry cutie.
Lamkin

I like it I guess, there is nothing that I don't like about it, but the first thing I thought when I saw it was, "fish skeleton".
it does look like an angry cutie though! 😉
And another thing, please don't use the "Brick" theme again, because it kills my computer! it was a good idea though. 🙂

Keep making good levels!
-K

@lamkin, on Jul 15 2008, 08:22 PM, said in Apple Store (preview):

Kasofa1,
Of course you realize that I honestly didn't see your elevator idea previously, as I would have given you credit for it in the post. I did have a feeling something like it must have been done before, however. I'd like to see your level which has it. So, thanks for not minding. You are the mover king, I think. 😉

Lamkin

I had a little elavator idea too! 🙂 It's in the treasury in my level Factory Quest. I'm sure it's not as good as the one in Apple Store (I haven't played it yet) but I hope you like it. Have you played Factory Quest? 😉

Klublex

Ah yes, the dead fish avatar won't be winning any prizes for its general visual appeal. Klublex, I liked Factory Quest , but my favorite of yours is The Master System. It was fairly challenging for a smaller level, and I think you did the "highway" theme better and different than most.

Lamkin

@lamkin, on Jul 18 2008, 06:32 PM, said in Apple Store (preview):

Ah yes, the dead fish avatar won't be winning any prizes for its general visual appeal. Klublex, I liked Factory Quest , but my favorite of yours is The Master System. It was fairly challenging for a smaller level, and I think you did the "highway" theme better and different than most.

Lamkin

Thanks a lot, Lamkin! I'm just about to play your Sketchtopia Apple Store. I'll tell you if it works on my computer. 🙂

Klublex