Announcing a new map!

By PiSketch's Doodles!

Yes, you heard that right, it's a New Map! Specifically, it's Forest Map 2! Continuing the Not-So-Epic saga that began with Forest Map, Forest Map 2 takes place in a slightly desolate Factory/Wasteland area filled with mystery.

ahem

(/salesman)

It is a continuation of Forest Map, so you will want to play through that first. I'll link to a version of Forest Map which skips over the Sprite-Intensive areas entirely, which should make it run better on slower computers. On that note, since FM2 takes place in the Factory and Wasteland, I will have much less opportunity to use enormous amounts of sprites.

(Hopefully) Reduced Detail Forest Map: (This link broke somehow. If anyone has the reduced detail map lying around and can send it to me, please do, so I can reupload it.)

Forest Map 2: Latest version

Let me know if you have any problems, or if you have any ideas on how to fix the occasional black/grey box that appears on the

Spoiler

Experiment Control Panel.

-Pi

Edit: Also, 777th post. Woot.

This post has been edited by PiSketch : 25 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

Nice!

I really like the way you've managed to weave a narrative into the map- I found myself looking forward to seeing where the story was going as much as where the map was going. Of course, now I'm stuck waiting for you to finish more of the map so I can continue...

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this!

@pisketch, on Nov 18 2007, 07:58 PM, said in Announcing a new map!:

...or if you have any ideas on how to fix the occasional black/grey box that appears on the

Spoiler

Experiment Control Panel.

Those grey boxes, unfortunately, are due to a bug in SF4ka, in that if you hit a switch while a sprite is fading out due to an Extra2 link, the sprite will instantly stop fading. I had a lot of problems with this in PMSA4, and the best solution I found was to prevent the player from hitting any more switches until the fade-out had finished. This isn't a viable solution in your case, however.

Edwards

@edwards, on Nov 19 2007, 01:02 AM, said in Announcing a new map!:

Nice!

I really like the way you've managed to weave a narrative into the map- I found myself looking forward to seeing where the story was going as much as where the map was going. Of course, now I'm stuck waiting for you to finish more of the map so I can continue...

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this!

Thanks! I intend to make this map much more story-centric then Forest Map 1, and I plan to have a more then a few surprises in that department. Of course, my skill as a writer isn't that uber, so they might be entirely expected. As an example, people may have noticed that something is missing, and i intend to do something with that...

Those grey boxes, unfortunately, are due to a bug in SF4ka, in that if you hit a switch while a sprite is fading out due to an Extra2 link, the sprite will instantly stop fading. I had a lot of problems with this in PMSA4, and the best solution I found was to prevent the player from hitting any more switches until the fade-out had finished. This isn't a viable solution in your case, however.

Edwards

Aw, nuts. I could move the switches next to their respective doors, I guess, but that doesn't make much sense from a story perspective. Ah well, I can come up with something.

Anyway, thanks for input!

-Pi

This post has been edited by PiSketch : 19 November 2007 - 12:44 PM

I downloaded this a few minutes ago, but as I don't have SketchFighter on my laptop, I'll have to play it when I get home.

ZOMG, you actually have a machine without Sketchfighter on it?/1?!??!

😛

Kay, cool. Let me know if you've got any suggestions!

Great map so far Pi! I like the survival horror feel to it. ^_^ I'm gonna try to get back into SKF designing after Christmas. I think I'll continue the unfinished map Rise Of Necro Sketch.

Another map to look forward too Arrgh You guys are killing me in anticipation

@ Silverwind: Necro Sketch? Color me interested. Yes, color. Feel free to PM me if you want a beta! 😄 😛

@ ZP: Well, here's a bit more to kill you with, then. Not much, school has been keeping me busy, but i should be able to get some decent work in on it over Thanksgiving weekend.

(Old link, scroll down)

EDIT: OK, to avoid a double post, i'm asking this here. Does anyone know how i could make text sprites disappear when the player reaches an area all the way across the map? I don't think it's ENTIRELY required, but... It would be helpful. Also, if a sprite is destroyed via Ex2, what happens to it's children?

This post has been edited by PiSketch : 16 June 2008 - 09:47 PM

@pisketch, on Nov 22 2007, 02:54 PM, said in Announcing a new map!:

EDIT: OK, to avoid a double post, i'm asking this here. Does anyone know how i could make text sprites disappear when the player reaches an area all the way across the map?

What exactly are you asking here? If you have some text sprites that are visible, but want them to disappear, you should just need to set up an Extra2 link to them.

@pisketch, on Nov 22 2007, 02:54 PM, said in Announcing a new map!:

Also, if a sprite is destroyed via Ex2, what happens to it's children?

If the sprite is of type Enemy or Pickup, the children will vanish as soon as the sprite finishes fading out (the player may need to go out of culling distance, too, but I'm not sure of that). If the sprite is of any other solid type, nothing will happen to the children.

Edwards

Yeah, i just now discovered that the text sprites were still there because i didn't set up the Extra 2. So yay, what i'm doing should work. Enemy or Pickup, great. I'm sure i can use that. grin I'll put up a new version sometime later tonight, once i finish this room...

gets back to work

EDIT: 😄 (Old link, scroll down)!! Now with double the... Ok, well, it doesn't have double the anything. Oh well.

Edit 2: Blergh. I suspect i was TIRED when i finished the version that was up there. (Old link, scroll down), same thing really with a few bugfixes and added things.

<bump>

Holy crap it has been a while.

School has been keeping me busy i guess.

Anyway i did get some work done on it over the last three weeksish.

(Old link, scroll down)

I want to go to bed now.

Night.

very cool stuff pi 🙂 i like the

Spoiler

spin cycle area

cant wait for more 🙂

awesome level! my computer is slow, so i cant do the

Spoiler

spin cycle area

, but the rest of the level is AWESOME! 😄

This post has been edited by Kasofa1 : 24 February 2008 - 10:49 AM

cough

Bump?

So, school's finally out and that means I can work on it again. I've done so for a bit, and there's a bit of new stuff. I can't really remember where the last one started, so not sure how much is new, but there's a bit.

Have fun, and gimme any suggestions you got.

Latest version

This post has been edited by PiSketch : 25 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

Pi, what is QuickShareIt , and how is this not "jumping through hoops"? Where is the .zip file?

Lamkin

For further clarification, I was referring to many of your earlier posts, Pi. By the way, the instructions for posting levels say to post them in a .sit file format or a .zip file format.
😉

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 10 July 2008 - 02:24 PM

Huh, that's interesting. QuickShareIt is the site that all my previous links head to, and an OS X app for easily uploading files. They semi-recently redid the entire service, which seems to have rendered all pre-upgrade links unfunctional.

I've stopped using it in favor of h4xr, which so far seems better and hasn't done anything I didn't ask it to do with my files.

I've removed the old links and updated the main post, so there shouldn't be anymore broken links. Does the latest link work for for you, Lamkin?

And yes, there's no problem with a .sit, Unarchiver can open .sit. Apparently it can't open .sitx.hqx, which is mildly disappointing.

Yes, the latest link works. It's an awesome level, too...Thanks again for the heads up about the zip files. I hadn't realized that the Mac OS can put files in .zip format from the Finder.
😄
Lamkin

Excellent, glad to hear that it works and you like it. And yeah, the Create Archive thing is one of those subtle things that make OS X just generally better.

Also, I'ma go download all your levels now, I'll post once I've played.

This post has been edited by PiSketch : 17 June 2008 - 10:47 AM

PiSketch- I tried your level Forest Map 2. AWESOME!

I would note that in the room right before the transportation into the Ice Caves area has blocks on the sides that are non-solid. :unsure: I could escape through these.
You might want to fix that.