SketchMapMerge

This makes me wish that my computer wasn't broke.

I've added the automatic SketchMap extension. The drawback is that the extension is as a result mandatory, you can't put another or none at all (if you try, it'll be forcefully added but hidden). Some of you might know that I absolutely hate extensions and systems designed around them, and I'd much rather leave the user in control, unfortunately there is no way whatsoever to configure the save dialog so as to have a suggested but facultative extension, apparently this was never considered by the Apple UI folks. Sigh.

After a (not so) brief hiatus spent on working on something else drooling over the iPhone SDK and the iPhoneOS APIs (even though I don't even own either an iPhone or an iPod Touch, I can't help it; well I can always claim it's for my paid work, which is not completely unjustified since I work writing multimedia software for mobile phones), I've worked a bit on SketchMap Merger, but I wanted to change a bit, so instead of adding a new feature/fixing UI, I ported the application to 64-bit, which is now possible for UI applications with Leopard. It was mostly an exercise for me, using that project as a testing ground, especially as there is no tangible benefit for this app to be 64-bit (I don't see it using more than 4 gigabytes of memory in any circumstance whatsoever), but nevertheless I do intend to release the 64-bit version eventually (which, just like Intel/ppc, will be used automatically and transparently if you have the right hardware). The porting itself was not really a problem, I was already pretty clean and all the APIs I use are present in 64-bit (some libraries and system functions, such as outdated stuff but also and controversially the whole Carbon UI framework, have not been ported to 64-bit), though I had to enlarge some types to 64-bit. I tested it today on a friend's MacBook pro (unfortunately I don't have 64-bit hardware) and it worked okay. That was the useless task of the weekend from yours truly.

...well, not quite. You may remember my GNUStep experiment on Linux earlier... As I was at it this weekend, and because I'm crazy, I also sucessfully built SketchMapMerge against the iPhone SDK. Not that's useless, because even with a target there is no way for this command-line tool to be useful in any way on the iPhone (not to mention how to even run it). Now why didn't I think of that in time for an April's fool joke...

@zacha-pedro, on Apr 15 2008, 02:33 PM, said in SketchMapMerge:

...well, not quite. You may remember my GNUStep experiment on Linux earlier... As I was at it this weekend, and because I'm crazy, I also sucessfully built SketchMapMerge against the iPhone SDK. Not that's useless, because even with a target there is no way for this command-line tool to be useful in any way on the iPhone (not to mention how to even run it). Now why didn't I think of that in time for an April's fool joke...

:blink:
:laugh:

Well, at least your stunningly useless project was impressive and educational!