Joystick support?

Is it just me or wouldn't joystick\gamepad support be a good idea?

I am really tired of using the arrow keys.

That's an... odd, thing to say. What's tiring about the arrow keys? And what's with the angry smily?

This post has been edited by Silverwind : 14 February 2008 - 04:05 AM

Gamepads are doable, but not as nice as you might think. The key issue for me is that you often need to go from turning while backing up to turning while moving forward, often reversing directions. It's easier to pull off such maneuvers when you have three fingers than it is when you only have your thumb.

I've yet to try the classic controller joystick...that could work, maybe. I just haven't played Sketchfighter much recently, because I have a glut of Wii games to play plus the Orange Box in Boot Camp.

@cheleball, on Feb 14 2008, 11:01 PM, said in Joystick support?:

It's easier to pull off such maneuvers when you have three fingers than it is when you only have your thumb.

Exactly. The reason keys remain the default strings of computers is because they're the tried and tested way. Even the mouse can't compete with them.

@cheleball, on Feb 14 2008, 11:01 PM, said in Joystick support?:

I just haven't played Sketchfighter much recently, because I have a glut of Wii games to play plus the Orange Box in Boot Camp.

Yeah, I've half forgotten how to use the editor. I've been making simple grid based RPGs, and it's given me a whole new level of respect for Ambrosia! :laugh: Collision classes are hard to program by yourself! (I made my own version of arrays though)

btw, my fiend played Orange Box in Boot. Said it was awesome, yet kinda shorter than he expected.

@silverwind, on Feb 15 2008, 02:04 AM, said in Joystick support?:

btw, my fiend played Orange Box in Boot. Said it was awesome, yet kinda shorter than he expected.

I don't know how you could say that unless you've already played Half Life 2 and HL2:EP1 (I haven't). Oh, and there's Team Fortress 2 which I haven't even loaded because I'm not that in to online FPS's (read: I really suck at online FPS's and get owned by 13 year olds all the time), but which theoretically has no end.

Actually, I'm still playing Half Life 1 for the first time. I didn't have a chance back in the day, what with being a Mac user and all, so now I'm catching up. But it's slow going because booting into Windows is such a pain...