"race the champ oliver"

"bad" doesn't even begin to describe it

I recently approved a new file to the add-on files. Normally this would not be a concern, or even subject for a new topic. But, well, let's sum it up by saying that it is unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on your viewpoint) that I am not currently able to test add-ons from where I access the Internet (a PC at work), as otherwise I probably wouldn't have approved "race the champ oliver".

It probably has all defects I can think of. To begin with, as an add-on, there is no author nor an email nor whatever. I'd barely call that a description. On top of that, it's not zipped or otherwise encoded in any way, and of course no ReadMe comes with it. Then as a level, the starting position isn't correctly specified, the background layer is a joke (only one enlarged rectangle which is easily culled out), layout is non-existant. It's just a bunch of enemies with you in the middle in a ridiculous config ((2^31)-1 missiles, the absolute max you can set?! All weapons and colors, third ship, and yet only 100 shields?!). And of course, there is a level goal, it's supposed to be race goal, i.e. reach an appropriately-named trigger, but I'm still looking for the trigger. The setup is so ridiculous that I have not even been able to kill all enemies as some sort of "goal": it's not only stupidly hard, but annoyingly and frustratingly so, there's no point in even bothering.

First, to the author of this thing, I say: WTF*??!! Please pay a little more respect to the add-ons. It's not here to host your drafts or experiments, much less "that". Instead, use these forums to learn about proper practices, ask questions, post first drafts and get feedback, beta test your level, and then only post the result to the add-ons; quite a number of successful levels from the add-ons started out as simple "hey, I have this one idea" in the forums. Of course, you may skip some of the steps if you feel like it, but please, please, work hard on your level and test it seriously before even thinking of posting it to the add-on files. This is not just for you, mind you, it is general good advice for everyone.

Then, to this community: do you guys think I should leave it in the add-on files? I am rather ashamed of having it there. But you see, I do not do any editorial work on the add-ons, it has never been intended that way. I just check that the file is correct, that it isn't corrupt, that it doesn't contain any virus, that it is indeed relevant to SketchFighter, that I can technically run it (say, that it doesn't crash the game), and that it does not contain offensive material nor infringes on someone's copyright (say, copy something else, another add-on for instance). I'm thinking that perhaps I should add explicit rules for the add-ons, ala Nova, especially after this one, but it's not relevant since no explicit rule was in effect when this was posted, it's not possible to apply them retroactively. So this file has not broken any given rule, even the implicit ones I mentioned. So, should I delete it, or not? I'd like to get your opinion before deciding (of course, I am free to ignore it entirely, I am the one in charge, after all :p).

*which, as we all know, stands for Worse Than Failure, or, er, rather, stood for it, it's too bad as "Worse Than Failure" was rather appropriate for this thing...

Delete it. I think a set of content submitting guidelines would certainly be helpful, (not to mention beneficial for new designers) as long as the notion that "at the end of the day, the Mods decide whether or not a map is Add On worthy" is understood and maintained.

Also: lol! (at the post in general) 😄 😛

I vote to delete it, if it's that bad.

Ok, having actually played the map, all I can say is that it sure poses a challenge! Ok, so I know there wasn't much skill involved making it, but it still ate up 35 minutes of "trying to complete (and ultimately failing)" time. (though I got close to clearing all but the top right corner a few times) I guess I'm just not picky about these things. I'm not voting it the next TOTP or anything, but to me a challenge is a challenge, and this my friends is a challenge! And for that, I think I owe it to say: Thanks Oliver for creating an intolerably frustrating yet incredibly addictive map! Please keep the maps coming, though improve the over all design of them a bit with the above advise. 😉

P.S. Silver's babble of the day: To become the best SketchFighter in the world, you must overcome the trials set by the worst.

This post has been edited by Silverwind : 21 December 2007 - 03:54 AM

Though it does pose a challenge that may not be found uninteresting, this level has production standards so low that I have come to the decision to remove it from the add-ons. It's not so much the fact that it's bad in and on itself, but rather the fact that the author obviously did not make any effort whatsoever to make it halfway acceptable, which drove my decision. I'd have notified the author, if there was any way to contact him, but unfortunately

That being said, so that it is not forever lost to the depths of time (which is not my intent) and so that everyone can get an idea of the level, I'm attaching it here. Please see for yourself, if not already done so.

Attached File race_the_champ_oliver.SketchMap.zip (4.3K)
Number of downloads: 5

I vote: delete it.

My guess would involve deletion. That said, if you do make rules, make them like the rules of the Pirate's Code in Pirates of the Carribbean: "they're really only guidelines".