Star Journey

eh... can someone explain this to me?

Upon checking the forum to see if GSN had released his long awaited masterpiece I got one of the biggest jolts to my heart I've ever received in my life, almost as bad as the time I thought I saw a ghost in my neighbours garden. Not only did I find The Temple Of The Pen and The Five Seasons as new additions to the download section, but also the level Star Quest. Under normal circumstances I would have simply said "Cool! A new un-announced level!" and proceeded with the download, but the fact that it's my level and I don't ever remember posting it made me reload the page half a dozen times to make sure I was seeing things right. I actually rubbed my eyes in disbelief! And I still am!

So, does this mean that I'm posting levels in my sleep? Or, the more logical explanation, that I tried to post it a long time ago and just forgot about it. I think that must be what happened, but by jov it must have been a really long time ago because I certainly don't recall doing anything of the sort. And if so, how come it's only just been approved now? And another thing that bothers and confuses me is that ZP helped me find a file compressor so that I could post The Epic Of Sketch, which was my first level to be posted. So I couldn't have been able to post it up before that time and I definitely didn't do it afterwards. (unless as I mentioned before, I did it in my sleep)

So, what happened ZP? I'd really like to know how the file got up there.

P.S.

This is the very first level I made, but it was never posted (until now) because of the millions of glitches. So keep in mind that it looks so unfamiliar from my usual work because I started it the day after Christmas, when I just got the game and hadn't read the editor or played Solo Mode.

This post has been edited by Silverwind : 10 March 2007 - 03:42 PM

You sell yourself short. Sure, it's about a 3 star level, but it's still fun. And you exploited culling to create the genius "lights out" effect when entering the dark cave. Was that on purpose? 😛

Yep, in fact that and the Crystal Spider were two effects I thought I might put into TCOC. Altered and polished up of course.

Yes, from what I've been able to play (with so many huge and sometimes difficult levels to approve yesterday evening, I didn't get time to completely play them), it is very interesting, I particularly like the Dark Cave effect, especially with the Volcano walls.

The dark Cave with glowing walls is very nice... on par with your great waterfall in Catherdral of Chaos IMHO... also like the forest walls design, the second row of forest objects makes the area visually richer. The glimpse of the hidden but inaccessible ??? Gun Beam in the forest area is also a nice touch, got me to run the around the whole forest loop path one more time looking for the way in...

@victorvs, on Mar 17 2007, 09:10 AM, said in Star Journey:

The glimpse of the hidden but inaccessible ??? Gun Beam in the forest area is also a nice touch, got me to run the around the whole forest loop path one more time looking for the way in...

Keep looping. 😉

I'm glad you liked the level, but keep in mind that it was done ages ago. I think I started it the day after Christmas, so it's no where near my detailing powers now... (ultimate... detailing... powers...)

EDIT:

I'm also very glad to hear my Waterfall appreciated. ^_^ I wasn't sure if it looked right, but I went through so many techniques with it and that was the best I could come up with. (although there was one alternative which looked better but meant that you couldn't actually go down it. If I gave the Super Doors their proper script, it really looked like running water. The only problem was that they turn solid then, so I couldn't add the feature) Have you completed The Cathedral Of Chaos?

This post has been edited by Silverwind : 17 March 2007 - 04:22 AM

I'm also very glad to hear my Waterfall appreciated. ^_^ I wasn't sure if it looked right, but I went through so many techniques with it and that was the best I could come up with. (although there was one alternative which looked better but meant that you couldn't actually go down it. If I gave the Super Doors their proper script, it really looked like running water. The only problem was that they turn solid then, so I couldn't add the feature)

Your dark cave, together with waterfall and the cool 3d archway in Catherdal of Chaos (CoC) made me think it might be fun to make a map that is just a journey, one that not only doesn't have any weapons (like Ryan's Obstacle Course), but one that requires no flying either; i.e. it would simply consist of force fields that take the player through a series of scenes (e.g. thru a cave, by or down a waterfall, under arches, etc.) or perhaps down a river. And maybe instead of the usual top down view would be drawn as a side view (your arch/doorway in CoC gave me that idea) but with no flying required, the whole map would just be a (series of force fields) ride... That got me to experimenting with force fields which has kept me from getting any further thru CoC 😞

Have you completed The Cathedral Of Chaos?

not yet... only played a couple of times and haven't gone much beyond the waterfall so far, I plan too, its the current map that I'm working my way thru, just that I've gotten side tracked as described above, haven't even started reading the CoC thread here either...

I'm glad that TCOC seems to take some time to complete for most people. 🙂

I like your idea about the journey level, I used the method which you speak of for the credits in TCOC. It might be a long time in the making if you really do intend to make it a three quarter view with arches and stuff, but I say go for it! It would be a great level when finished.

I've completed Star Journey, and I found it a nice level, with interesting things. Of course, there are a few things that I know could have been done better, but it's interesting to have such an opportunity to see the first works of the famous author of the Epic of Sketch and the Cathedral of Chaos. 😉